Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Tank pin hole... Fuckit.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

A100man
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:35 - 02 Oct 2026    Post subject: Tank pin hole... Fuckit. Reply with quote

Dammit. After derusting, stripping, filling and priming the SRX tank I discover a tiny pin hole in one of teh bottom left corners wher you might expect. Mad
Obvoisly it was blocked with ferrous oxide and paint previously Rolling Eyes

I'm not keen on teh faff of a liner. and I've sloshed soem oily fuel in there to prevent flash rust and any liner now adhering.. Anyone tried leading?
I've a MAP torch, plumbers solder, flux etc..
____________________
Now: A100, SRX250, XJ598, FZ750, SL1000

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600, Skorpion, GT 250
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Mar 2019
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:33 - 02 Oct 2026    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way, way.... WAY back when I had the Keeway Superlight, one of the first fixes I had to do was a tank leak. One of the little cups that rest on the rubber mounts left and right on the frame had popped a spot weld enough for petrol to migrate out. I sorted it with, wait for it, a dab of JB Weld Laughing

Seriously though, it needs to be the real JB Weld - the good stuff that takes 24+ hrs to cure. Seemed to be fine with petrol all the time I had it.
____________________
Royal Enfield Continental GT 535, Husqvarna Vitpilen 401, Yamaha XSR700, Honda Rebel, Yamaha DT175, Suzuki SV650 (loan) Fazer 600, Keeway Superlight 125, 50cc turd scooter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:15 - 02 Oct 2026    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Way, way.... WAY back when I had the Keeway Superlight, one of the first fixes I had to do was a tank leak. One of the little cups that rest on the rubber mounts left and right on the frame had popped a spot weld enough for petrol to migrate out. I sorted it with, wait for it, a dab of JB Weld Laughing

Seriously though, it needs to be the real JB Weld - the good stuff that takes 24+ hrs to cure. Seemed to be fine with petrol all the time I had it.


I've got some quiksteel epoxy putty I might try. Its good stuff generally and I'm fairly sure its fuel proof too. First I'm borrowing an endo scope to see how compromised it is from the inside.
____________________
Now: A100, SRX250, XJ598, FZ750, SL1000

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600, Skorpion, GT 250
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 0.41 - MySQL Queries: 18 - Page Size: 37.72 Kb