Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

my GS Project...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures
View previous topic : View next topic  

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:46 - 25 Apr 2005    Post subject: my GS Project... Reply with quote

Well after a week or so of little bits of work, and about 1 & 1/2 months of waiting on parts from M&P i finaly got the GS looking a bit tidier.

It came to me in a rather nasty state, there was rust all over the frame, it had some rusted up mirrors that were fixed in a stupid position, snapped levers and bent bar ends, along with a front headlight unit that was literaly held on by insulating tape.

https://img113.echo.cx/img113/4456/dvc002889od.jpg

The project began as just "A way to make the bike look a little nicer to sell it on in a month or two's time". For that reason i looked for a few small things, i noticed the rear end looked a bit nasty and tatty, so i decided to take action against it.

https://img113.echo.cx/img113/2984/dvc003017lz.jpg

Raised the rear light about 3cm, Trimmed and re-fitted rear hanger, raised number plate by about 3cm and finished with some smaller stemmed indicators and a little reflector underneath...

https://img113.echo.cx/img113/167/dvc003074xo.jpg

I then ordered a few bits from M&P...

They hadnt arrived after about two weeks, so i decided to take a look at the handlebars...

Fitted some new Motrax bar grips (in black and green (Y) ) and bar ends. Although to fit the new bar ends the old ends had to be drilled out where they had been bent / thread sheered. And fitted a set of black 'supermoto' style mirrors in place of the old, rusted circular ones.

https://img113.echo.cx/img113/7438/dvc003158fc.jpg

i then proceeded to replace my clock bulbs with green ones, as both of the "clear / white" ones blew at the same time...

https://img113.echo.cx/img113/6075/dvc003142kz.jpg

Then about 3 weeks later, a strange man appears at my door with a parcel and a large lorry behind him, sporting the letters "DHL". By this time i had forgotten all about my order and just signed for the parcel, to my supprised there was a large plasticaly blob inside, wrapped in bubble-wrap! Naturaly the bubble wrap was the first item to be messed about with Embarassed ,until i decided to take about the front end,

https://img113.echo.cx/img113/429/dvc003174pl.jpg

and replaced the current single light unit, which was held on by insulating tape, with the new twin headlight cockpit fairing.

https://img113.echo.cx/img113/1614/dvc003188ap.jpg

During all this a new rear tyre, chain and full pads have also been fitted, along with the side panel stickers being removed Razz

https://img113.echo.cx/img113/6749/dvc003228ju.jpg

https://img113.echo.cx/img113/4658/dvc003239gg.jpg

https://img113.echo.cx/img113/6510/dvc003300qf.jpg

Sorry if there are too many pictures Embarassed
but i hope you enjoy! Thumbs Up

`Dave.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

R4nger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:56 - 25 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to cover up the ignition timer...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:58 - 25 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

muhaha i know, thats next on the list, gota get a plug or something for it but, yea, only realised it the other day when i was giving it a good clean Shocked

m i k e
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:00 - 25 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

And wash it! Wink Razz

Mike

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 25 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried my hardest, but its all nasty crap that i cant reach (thanks to the previous owner).
We got a nice new power washer though, if only we could work out how to work it Razz

m i k e
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:04 - 25 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some autoglym wheel cleaner, and the rest just use warm soapy water and give it a good scrub, don't use a power washer on the wheels or chain areas as you can really do damage to bearings etc!

Mike

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:19 - 25 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok cheers Thumbs Up Very Happy

but getting away from the cleaning side of things... whats your general oppinions in general about it, and how it looks, and how it compares to how it was when i got it?

m i k e
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:34 - 25 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks quite nice! I do prefer that front end to the original one; it all comes down to personal preference as long as you like it, sod everyone else! Smile I think if you give the bike a good clean now, you'll be quite a bit more impressed with it; I'm sat here itching to make those white wheels........well white again! Laughing

Mike Razz

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 16:46 - 25 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm quick question have you wired the lights wrong as the low beam light should be on the left and full beam on the right in the UK AFAIK. Smile
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 25 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, feel free to come over and have a shot at them Thumbs Up The previous owner im guessing didnt do a thing to it, and now they are all scratched with the black stuff stuck in them lol, will take a good man to get them out? Laughing Wink
hehe i think i may have got the two wires the wrong way round lol, when i was wiring it, i assumed that the right light should be on ... but maybe not lol, didnt think to take a look at the thousands of bikes riding past my house that day to see what they had Embarassed

conpants
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:09 - 25 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much was that nose light thingy.. as i am looking for something like that for my cb500

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:01 - 25 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

That particular one was only £29.99 from www.mandp.co.uk
Good price, although took ages to get to mine, and a lot of hassle.
I originaly ordered a different one, for £70 but after 1 1/2 weeks of waiting i rang them up to be told they didnt make that product any more, so i ordered that £30 instead, which has turned out allright Thumbs Up

gavking
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 01:00 - 26 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a cockpit fairing similar to that one that i was going to use on my GS125 till the kind local folk decided to lift it from my garage. PM me and i'll send you a pic if you're interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:34 - 26 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 4 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1