Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ron Haslam Race School, Donington

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rollins
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:35 - 01 May 2005    Post subject: Ron Haslam Race School, Donington Reply with quote

Knowing that my only legal experience of more than 33bhp (for the next 18 months when I'm 21) could come on a track, I deciced to book a slot at the Ron Haslam Race School, receiving lots of snidy comments & pisstakes from work, home & whoever else wanted to take a pop. The usual cliches like "killing myself" and "are you allowed to do that" quickly pissed me off, and only made me more determined to actually do it.

Wednesday 27th - What a great day. Weather was fantastic, managed to dodge the showers all morning, but not the gale force winds Confused

The race school kicked off late for a start, cos some tw@t couldn't find Donington in the first place. Do'h. He/she never even turned up after all.

After the initial briefing, got all kitted up & was assigned a bike for the morning - a pristine 2005 Honda CBR600RR. With my bike experience limited to an Aprilia RS125, you can imagine how, erm, slightly unnerved I became. It's smaller than my RS125 for fook sake!! First ever track ride (full GP circuit) on my first ever 600 bike ride, it was a good job I bought a change of underwear.

First track session was over in a flash, though it was about 20 minutes long. Just following my instructor Gav on a Hornet 900, learning the braking & turning points & apexes. Fook, it's a hard track to learn, apparently one of the hardest in the country.

Second sesh was more of the same, but going a touch faster. Then I realise I'm overtaking many of the other people, and they're all on the same bike as me, all the BAB's and other middle aged men getting their trackday kicks! (Two ladies as well Thumbs Up )

Third sesh, and I decided to see how fast the little, sorry, tiny CBR6 could go. Blimey. I've never experienced my arms being pulled from their sockets like that before. Even doing 5-6k rpm, it accelerates faster than my stroker. I never even went full throttle once, I was too scared!!
Unfortunately, they tape over the speedo so you can't see the numbers, but I'm sure I saw what I thought was 120mph coming towards Redgate. And sh1t, I still had 4500rpm till the redline, and 2 more gears to go!! Any other learners/125 owners, you've never known anything like it! What a day!

(My instructor was very impressed, and recommended that I buy a track bike! Watch out G!)

After the proceedings, the icing on the cake - Ron & Leon Haslam both slung their leathers on & ragged the tits off a pair of Fireblades. Wheelying down the pit straight and Leon backing it in to Redgate left me speechless!

I've caught the racing bug now, and I'm mildly annoyed that my 33bhp restriction still has 18 months to run. Anyone want to buy an RS125... ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 22:44 - 01 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I was tempted to do the race school but from what you've said I could get the same type of tuition from a trackday, glad you enjoyed it though and it does sound like a bit better introduction for people new to the track.

VTR SP1
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:06 - 01 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it in 2003 and thought it was a bit expensive. We had 3x15 min sessions and tuition for £235.
Was really good fun and a good first trackday.

SP1

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:00 - 02 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, sounds like you had fun!

I rode Donington in March, and quite enjoyed it. Though I wouldn't say it was a hard circuit to learn at all, though I was probably taking the wrong line into a few corners.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bugsy46
Village Idiot

PostPosted: 00:16 - 02 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol

The technician I work with is actually an instructor for ron haslam race school. We have four CBR1000RR ex race bikes from the school sat in our workshop (yellow and black). Glad to hear you enjoyed it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rollins
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:19 - 02 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugsy46 wrote:
Lol

The technician I work with is actually an instructor for ron haslam race school. We have four CBR1000RR ex race bikes from the school sat in our workshop (yellow and black). Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Which instructor took you around?

I think his name was Gav Slingsby - top bloke. I had one-to-one instruction, which I was surprised at as well. But there were at least 10 other instructors.

tony532
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 02 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one mate

i was at oulton park today and someone came upto me and said do you want to try and win the cbr600rr that was parked up and i said no because its far too small for me

they are indeed smaller than the rs125 like you said

looked like a midi-moto

Thumbs Down

bugsy46
Village Idiot

PostPosted: 00:30 - 02 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The instructor I work with is called Howard. He just finished a season racing GSXR1000, hes now racing a Supermotard. I will have to get him to book me a slot sometime Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:30 - 02 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many sessions did you get?

No reason you can't do a trackday on a full power 125 at a not too fast circuit. Unfortunately that 'wow, fast' feeling goes quickly. If you're actually racing, it shouldn't be too different on a lower powered bike.

In the faster groups at trackdays I do prefer to have a 100hp + bike so you can keep on the straights and stay ahead if you get past in the corners.
Doesn't matter so much in the novice group.

Rollins
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:44 - 02 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
How many sessions did you get?

No reason you can't do a trackday on a full power 125 at a not too fast circuit. Unfortunately that 'wow, fast' feeling goes quickly. If you're actually racing, it shouldn't be too different on a lower powered bike.

Got 3 sessions, each about 15-20 mins. Not very long I know, but I was blown away by the power, and started to lose concentration at the end of the first 2 sessions. The 3rd session was pure joy, followed by sadness because it was all over!

My RS125 has woolly handling compared to the RR - the front end feels like it's going to tuck. I think some new tyres are needed before I venture out on track with it. And you're right about the going fast feeling. I bet a 600 would feel twice as fast out on real roads. But I definitely want to start racing now...

lusty
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:09 - 02 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much does a track day all cost?

When hiring the bike do you have to put down a deposit incase you have a spill and how much does that all cost?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:24 - 02 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

lusty wrote:
How much does a track day all cost?

When hiring the bike do you have to put down a deposit incase you have a spill and how much does that all cost?

This wasn't a 'normal trackday'. A normal one would get you six or seven sessions on track.

Price starts from about £70, or less if you get a special offer. You can use your own bike, but if you want to hire a bike, expect to pay about £200 with a £250 or so refundable deposit for damage for a 600cc.
Free tuition will usually be provided, but not to the level of a school like Ron-Haslem.

Personally, if it was me, I would spend my money on a trackday rather than a school first. But I can see some are quite reasonably intimidated by the thought of a trackday or riding a 600cc bike for the first time.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 356 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1