26MPG!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:49 - 13 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If it is getting unstable at that kind of speed then I would have a check round to find a fault. Tyre preasures, steering head bearings, wheel bearings, rear shock and fork seals would be the best places to start to look. After that check the swinging arm bearings

Other thing is to make sure you are not pulling on the handlebars. Lean forward into the wind so that the wind is taking your weight, dont just hang onto the bars for support

All the best

Keith

Doddmaster
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:56 - 13 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Keith

I'm not sure if he was yanking on the bars. He probably was because the riding position is so upright.

I will check the simple things like the tyre pressures and fork seals tomorrow night.

Should be insured next week, so I will take it for a good long run and try and work out what's wrong with it

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:05 - 14 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

It is easy to hang on too hard. You do it, the bike weaves a bit, so you hang on tighter, so it weaves more, etc

You will have to bring the bike up one day

All the best

Keith

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:21 - 14 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine does the same dodd, up to 75 its fine, though you need to keep a good hold on the bars cos the extra narrow tyres aren't much good at motorway speed. past 75 up to 80 (top speed is anything around 80 to 90, the speedo starts swigning wildly around 70) it get painful and hard to keep in straight line, also getting towards the redline in 5th.

my tyre pressures, fork seals etc are all fine, the bike just doesn't like speed, and its not much fun either. your best off holding at 70 and sitting in the slow lane.

took mine to bath once, which is one the other side of the country from me. 350 miles in 2 days on an unfaired 250 single, and i was sore for days after that.

check your rear shocks if its all over the road. i need to wind mine right up if i take it on the motorway to stop it wallowing, but thats a bit hard for day to day riding.

how often does yours want its oil changed?

Dan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:47 - 22 Nov 2002    Post subject: 1 Reply with quote

its getting better i managed almost 30 this week Very Happy Exclamation Very Happy

one of the reasons its so low is because over here we are stoping and starting all the time so it uses more fuel, over there when u get it on a motorway it dont burn it as much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter

PostPosted: 14:16 - 22 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhm not exactly. The nearest Motorway to me is the M23 and it's about 20miles away. I don't use motorways unless im going on long trips, so the driving style would be pretty much identical, we have A-roads and B-roads too u know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:23 - 22 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix wrote:
Uhm not exactly. The nearest Motorway to me is the M23 and it's about 20miles away. I don't use motorways unless im going on long trips, so the driving style would be pretty much identical, we have A-roads and B-roads too u know.

what i mean is u can ride for more than 3 mins without having to stope and start again

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 14:42 - 22 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never seem to get more than 25mpg from my RGV whichever way I ride it. The oil consumption does change depending on how you thrash it, for example, when I rode down to Brands Hatch this summer I used a full litre of TTS going, and only half a litre coming back. (there was a lot more traffic and I was more worried about blowing up).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 170 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2