Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cagiva Raptor 650 (sv 650) engine problem

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jinx
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:54 - 21 Apr 2005    Post subject: Cagiva Raptor 650 (sv 650) engine problem Reply with quote

the bike in question is a Cagiva Raptor 650, powered by the SV 650 engine. It would not start, either with a good charge in the battery or by bump starting. After repeated attempts it smelt very strongly of petrol. Decided to fit a new battery, spark plugs, air filter and change the oil and filter.

When the air filter was removed the inside of the air box had a puddle of petrol and oil mix in the bottom. Then when the drain plug in the sump was removed the oil that came out looked, felt and smelt like it had been greatly diluted with petrol (very thin in consistency)

There was no obvious sign of a hole in the piston by noise and no visable sign in the front cylinder (cant see the rear cylinder, tank is in the way).

When the bike was last running there was no smoke from the exhaust or obvious noise from the engine.

After market exhaust cans (carbon can company) have been fitted and the baffles have been removed (no change has been made to the jetting).

Any ideas welcome as to how the oil came to be contaminated by petrol. And apart from flushing through and letting it vent, any suggestions as to where we go from here?

Thanks

Jinx

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 21 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rings aren't a good enough seal to stop petrol dribbling through over a long enough time. Is the engine a carburetted version? If so, it's possible that the float valve is sticking so the float bowl is overflowing and peeing petrol into the engine?

Question

Other than that, I don't think I'm much help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jinx
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:00 - 21 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is the carburetted version. Must admit, this isnt something we had thought of - will check.

Jinx

xx

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:59 - 21 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I would say the needles as well. Make sure the petrol is turned off if there is a fuel tap, and not on prime.

All the best

Keith

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 23:00 - 21 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jinx wrote:
it is the carburetted version. Must admit, this isnt something we had thought of - will check.

I'm pretty sure that is what I suggested to John at the Lysley on Monday night, I have asked a few people I work with who are mechanically minded and they all agree that this is the most likely problem, followed by shagged rings - so lets hope it's the float!

Jinx
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:05 - 22 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

PsychoHippy wrote:
I'm pretty sure that is what I suggested to John at the Lysley on Monday night,

Dont worry it isnt personal - he doesnt pay attention to any thing I say either

Scotsman37
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 22 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you find any petrol underneath the bike possibly coming out of a rubber pipe while standing the bike upright? If so, then your carbs float valve's button is sticking and so is not cutting off the fuel when the float bowl is full of petrol and therefore it keeps flowing out of the air hole through the air box and down the rubber pipe.

If that is the case you'll need to or mechanic or someone you'll know will need to remove the carb's float bowls and thoroughly clean it out with carb cleaner and a can of compressed air from Maplins to blast the jets and needles, plus the float valve's buttons.

Jinx
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:26 - 22 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

there isnt any leaking when the bike is standing. The bike wouldnt start and we think that the flooding when we were trying to start it. (which I am hoping is a good sign)

Jinx
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 04:58 - 06 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very pleased to report that the raptor is now running well again. Even managed to get out a couple of times over the weekend and it feels fine.

So to every one who made a suggestion of how to sort it thanks - very much appreciated

Jinx
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 361 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1