Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Electrical problem with XJ650.. helppppppppppppppp

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

imadoofus
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:14 - 04 May 2005    Post subject: Electrical problem with XJ650.. helppppppppppppppp Reply with quote

hey all,

heres the scenario. My battery (82 yamaha xj650) doesnt charge while riding. And even with engine and ignition off, the tail lights are on.

AS of now, what i do is keep the battery on a trickle charge overnight. But now I want to fix this problem

The battery voltage doesnt change to more than 11.5 volts even while revved up. So i assumed it to be a alternator or regulator problem, but the always on taillight threw me off

Now i dont know what could be wrong. Wheter its the alternator or regulator or some shorted relay.

Please help. Any suggestions would be welcome

Also if anyone knows a link for the service manual for 1982 XJ650 Seca, let me know
thanks in advance

Scotsman37
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 04 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should be of some help to you !

https://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/7795/

https://pw1.netcom.com/%7Ervtucker/Seca.html

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 18:31 - 04 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very very odd. I think just working through the wiring diagram is in order.

Faulty main switch? assuming all the wiring is standard and not been bodged at some point. The main switch (ignition switch) would have to be on for current to reach as far as the rear light.

Has it always been like that? or only recently?

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

imadoofus
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:03 - 04 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought it about 2 months back. it has been like that since. According to the previous owner he didnt have these problems last year. but they started this year. I didnt have time till now and I have been using a trickle charger till now.

The brake light was very confusing for me too. I was looking for good deals on regulators and alternators already assuming it to be either.

alains
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 04 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

you've got a brake switch somewhere , most are adjustable mechanically , but i cannot help in this type of bike . i am specialize in electricity low voltage . about your battery , you should have 12.8 to 13.2 V when you charged it . 11.2 is far too low . it means that you need a new one . about your charging problem , check the rectifier with an ohmeter , takes mesurment in one way then reverse polarities it must show only in one way . to test the alternator , unplug the wires going to the rectifier , start engine , put your voltmeter on AC 100 or 200 V limit and check the voltage (mind your fingers , you may have a shock ) , but i cannot tell you which voltage it's suppose to provide .

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 00:37 - 05 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, am I correct that you're saying you can turn the ignition off, take the key out, walk away and the rear light is still on?

Just want to clarify.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

imadoofus
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 01:10 - 05 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya. if the battery os connected, the brake light is on. Now I heard that it might be the parking brake light and something wrong with it, possibly.

Today, I just had loss of power to the engine in 1st and second, which also has to be battery related? as i couldnt get it started.
please clarify

Gazdaman wrote:
Sorry, am I correct that you're saying you can turn the ignition off, take the key out, walk away and the rear light is still on?

Just want to clarify.

Gaz

Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 07:19 - 05 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it the brake light (very bright) or the tail light?

On most bikes, if you turn the key an extra click to the left and remove it, it leaves the sidelights on for parking. Maybe your switch is worn and you're going past the normal 'all off' position?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:37 - 05 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with guest on the rear light problem.

Now, as for the other stuff. Important questions:

Is the battery holding charge in its own right? Charge it up, leave disconnected for 4 hours, get a multimeter across it. If you see any less than 12v, you'll be wanting a new battery. A healthy battery should show between 12 and 13 volts.

Once the battery is declared fit or replaced, check the voltage across the terminals with the engine at 5000 rpm. You should be seeing about 14.5 volts across the terminals. If its wildly more - like 60 - you have a duff reg/rec. If its less - anything less than 13 - you have a duff alternator.

imadoofus
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 05:43 - 06 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thanks for the tips.

I will check to see if the brake light is the parking light. I had noticed it when the handle was locked after ignition off.My last bike was in India and we never had the concept of parking light over there.

The battery is good. I did try the voltage across by revving it, but it stays the same. So, I am assuming the alternator is at fault but dont have equipment to check it , just yet. Will do that.

Also was reading up elsewere that the bike has problems historically with corroded wired which I have no clue about. Any quick tips regarding this? Thanks

robby wrote:
I'm with guest on the rear light problem.

Now, as for the other stuff. Important questions:

Is the battery holding charge in its own right? Charge it up, leave disconnected for 4 hours, get a multimeter across it. If you see any less than 12v, you'll be wanting a new battery. A healthy battery should show between 12 and 13 volts.

Once the battery is declared fit or replaced, check the voltage across the terminals with the engine at 5000 rpm. You should be seeing about 14.5 volts across the terminals. If its wildly more - like 60 - you have a duff reg/rec. If its less - anything less than 13 - you have a duff alternator.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 361 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1