Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

electrics aargghhhhh!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

webby
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:04 - 30 Apr 2005    Post subject: electrics aargghhhhh! Reply with quote

hi guys, really fed up, managed 2 get a cdi 4 my comet changed it and still can`t get a spark from either plug.feel like i`ve tried everything, can any1 please help me?

bish777
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 30 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIGHT!!

Get a multimeter, if you dont have one already.

Check the conection between the CDI and to coil using the continuity check.

Turn on the ignition and at the CDI connector block check for power getting to the CDI.

Check the coil (im assuming you have a dual lead single coil) that impedance is within spec. Youll need the manual for these figures.

If the leads between the CDI and coil are broken, you can cut the wires and run new lines from the CDI to the coil directly-mains cores are good for this.

webby
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:34 - 30 Apr 2005    Post subject: electrics Reply with quote

right!! got a multi meter ,a fair understanding of electrics and a workshop manual. it`s got twin coils, both are good, changed the cdi and tested power to it, tested the magneto pick up, main fuses, all conectors and kicked the bike a few times! nothing seems to work!

bish777
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:51 - 30 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

mad??

Have you taken the timing cover and had a look at the timing gear?

Maybe its something really daft? Strip and clean the ingition switch??

Sidestand cut out switch or similar-check if theres a switch on the clutch lever-my mate couldnt start his kwack for ages til he realised the lead had fallen off.

Scotsman37
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:36 - 30 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Wd40 your bike's wiring loom connection blocks as they may have corroded and so disconnect/reconnect them and spray them just in case this has happened and may need to give each one a scrape with a fine headed screwdriver to be able fit inside it to remove any corrosion that has hardened in.

webby
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:26 - 03 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

latest up date!! after checkin all system components and gettin my dad (30 years as a mechanic) 2 have a look we decided it was the cdi, £140 later and a couple of spark plugs 4 good measure still hasn`t cured the problem. i`m changeing the coils next but not convinced that`ll help. anybody think of something we might be missing? cheers Sad

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 03 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

CDI's very rarely go wrong!

I'd check things like plug caps and HT Leads, replace them, check the coils or change them for known good ones.

Is your battery fine also. Go through the motions before replacing things like CDI's!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

webby
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:57 - 04 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx 4 that! i realise they rarely go wrong but after workin as an elec engineer on helo`s and my dad`s life time of mechanical experience we spent many hours deliberating and testing and everything pointed 2 the cdi. i`m now changing the coils and diode pack as a matter of course, the next step looks like a re-wire, which i don`t want 2 do so wondered if any1 could come up with anything we were missing

webby
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:02 - 05 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

right guys. after what seems like forever finally got the problem, dodgy side stand switch. it`ll work but it won`t work! was how it`s been described 2 me! must of tested it a dozen times! but what i didn`t do was short it out loom end. Doh! thanx 4 the help guys Smile

cqueen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 05 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fu*king hate electrics Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cqueen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 05 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fu*king hate electrics Evil or Very Mad

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 05 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

So good they posted it twice.

webby
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:21 - 06 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it`s a fair comment that needed sayin twice Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

katana
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:00 - 06 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats why I prefer Suzuki's system of not activating the starter and not removing the spark.

With regards to cleaning contacts either use contact cleaner or clutch and brake cleaner not wd40 as it is oily and will attract dirt and cause more problems in the future with poor contacts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 361 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1