Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Kawasaki ZZR600 1991

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

EDBANGER
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:43 - 05 May 2005    Post subject: Kawasaki ZZR600 1991 Reply with quote

New to the forums so firstly I would like to say hello everyone, my name is Simon & i'm a bike-a-holic.

Next up i'm looking for advice on a ZZR600 i've recently aquired. It jumps out of second gear when revved hard, has anyone got any ideas what might be causing this & how I might be able to fix it? It's fine in every other gear, just second.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Git
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:15 - 05 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikes jumping out of gear, at first thought I'm thinking damaged selector fork. For this it's an engine strip job.

Hello and welcome Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 18:21 - 05 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZZR400/600,s are know for having a problem with the 2nd gear when they are getting old. replacment enigne £150-250 or a bottom end strip down.
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV

Scotsman37
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 05 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of engine oil are you using, because if it doesn't meet the JASO MA standard set by Japanese motorcycle companies for wet clutches then you could have slipping of the clutch.

EDBANGER
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 05 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm how much would an engine strip down cost me? Sounds expensive.

EDBANGER
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 05 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I shall give you the story of how I came about this bike and i'd like an opinion on what to do with it.

I recently bought a 1999 Thunderace with a fair bit of fairing damage and 48000 on the clock. I paid £1750 for it and it run fine. It was a little rattly which concerned me but most of all, I couldn't afford to keep it. I borrowed money to buy it from a friend which I couldn't afford to pay back. The insurance was more than I orginally thought and the petrol consumption was also out of my price range. All in all a bad financial move.

I sold it for £1500 and got the ZZR thrown in aswell so effectively, I paid £250 for the kwaka. It's got 42000 on the clock and I need to have a look at replacing the brake pads to get it through an MOT. It's in pretty damn good condition, only a little bit of surface rust on a few parts but that's really minimal. The fairing is in spanking condition for the year, forks & seals are good, immobilisor works and beside the jumping in 2nd gear the engine runs perfectly. Idles nicely at 1000rpm and rides well. Also got a Jap racing can on it. So basically, is it worth me doing the work? If I were to sell it, how much could I expect for it? I know that if I broke it and sold the parts i'd easily make my £250 back. What should I do???

Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:29 - 05 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not bothered about out-and-out performance then I'd run it into the ground, or strip it and repair and probably learn a lot along the way. You could short-shift through 2nd into 3rd and just lose a little acceleration.

What usually happens is the dogs on 2nd gear wear smooth so they don't stick into the slots in the next gear properly, so it jumps out of 2nd under load. Mainly caused by clumsy shifting - crashing it through the box doing drag starts. It's not usually caused by bits breaking off so there's no worries about debris floating round the engine.

My bike is renowned for the same thing, but in 40,000 miles of careful use and regular oil changes (using 'car' 10/40) it shows no sign of appearing.

A second hand engine could be well on the way down the same road and you have the disadvatage of not hearing it before you buy.

If you don't have the time, space or inclination to strip and fix it then breaking it is a good idea, I'm sure you could make most of your money back, particularly on the plastics and electrical fittings.

Good luck with it anyway Thumbs Up

EDBANGER
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 05 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this gear problem be something I could have a go at despite very little mechanical knowledge?? Would whatever parts I may need be expensive or easy to come by?

Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:18 - 05 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a full engine strip to get at it but they're not rocket science. On most bikes you can up-end the engine and just remove the bottom case without disturbing the heads and barrels and the gearbox is laid out in front of you Thumbs Up

You'd need to check this is the case on the ZZ. On Suzukis you need to take the clutch basket off as there's a bearing retainer plate behind it that's bolted across both case halves, also one behind the water pump.

You need to talk to somebody who's actually done a ZZ to be sure what's there.

New parts would be best, no idea of the price though sorry

EDBANGER
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 06 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

What engine oil would you recommend I use for this bike? I've decided to keep it and ride it to death.

Scotsman37
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 06 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDBANGER wrote:
What engine oil would you recommend I use for this bike? I've decided to keep it and ride it to death.

Silkolene Pro / Comp 10W-40

https://www.710supplies.com/shop/silkbike4stroke.htm

Mobill 1 MX4T 10W-40

https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_MX4T_10W-40.aspx

Castrol R4 Superbike / GPS 10W-40

https://www.rgracing.co.uk/Castrol_4_stroke_oils.htm

Any good bike shop or Halfords may have one or all of the above mentioned oils in stock!

Here's an explanation of why it's important to pick oil stating the standard JASO MA.

https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Motorcycle_Oil_FAQs.aspx#FAQs1

https://www.aac-jasoinfo.com/jaso_web/

EDBANGER
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 06 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, cheers for the info, most useful.

Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:03 - 06 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

By all means spend £30 on oil every oil change, on a bike engine that was desinged before the 'motorcycle specific' con was dreamed up Wink

I run mine on £8 a gallon 'car' oil changed every 3000 miles with a filter every other change. No problems with gears or clutch slippage since new.

It's the same oil I used to run in the company Vectra (integral gearbox but dry clutch) and the service intervals for that were 20,000 miles Shocked

Scotsman37
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:10 - 06 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
By all means spend £30 on oil every oil change, on a bike engine that was desinged before the 'motorcycle specific' con was dreamed up Wink

I run mine on £8 a gallon 'car' oil changed every 3000 miles with a filter every other change. No problems with gears or clutch slippage since new.

It's the same oil I used to run in the company Vectra (integral gearbox but dry clutch) and the service intervals for that were 20,000 miles Shocked

Yeah, but what make & model is your bike because he has got a modern very fast bike and wants to look after it.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:22 - 06 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotsman37 wrote:
Yeah, but what make & model is your bike because he has got a a very fast bike and wants to look after it.

I have used car oil in all sorts of bikes with no real problems, including a 1200 Bandit, FZR600, GPZ500, XJ600 and FZ750.

Only one that has shown any signs of clutch slip was the Bandit, but then that was with a tuned engine (no sign before the engine was tuned), and the clutch also slipped with fresh bike specific oil and new clutch plates (what stopped it was Barnett clutch plates and springs).

There are arguments about using car oils in gearboxes, but then Honda specify normal 10W40 engine oil in the boxes in a lot of their cars.

In this case he has a bike that he paid £250 and pretty much intends to run into the ground. At £30 a shot he will rapidly spend more on oil changes than the bike is worth, and highly unlikely that it will help the gearbox problem or prevent any engine problems until long after the gearbox becomes terminal.

All the best

Keith

Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:48 - 06 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotsman37 wrote:
Yeah, but what make & model is your bike because he has got a modern very fast bike and wants to look after it.

'97 RF 900, owner serviced from new. 40,000 miles and I aim for it to last me until a: it gets nicked or b: I hang up my lid for good Wink

Thumbs Up What Keith said

gsxrpeak
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:48 - 07 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

iv got a zzr400 and i know someone with a zzr1100 and both of our do the same, its a common problem, you just have to hammer it in to second when in hight revs! it works! Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 360 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1