Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

VFR400 NC30 Tyres

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 18:03 - 02 Dec 2002    Post subject: VFR400 NC30 Tyres Reply with quote

Does anyone who owns an NC30 have any trouble getting tyres? I like the bike but I don't know what tyres are available for it with that dodgy 18 inch rear wheel Confused I *think* Bridgestones do a set of BT10's but not sure what other tyres you can get for it. Can you get Rennsports or Pilots???

Cheers

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:15 - 02 Dec 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err... I would have thought it would be 090s not 010s, because the 010s are designed for bikes with more power.

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 18:22 - 02 Dec 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kornel is the man to ask.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:31 - 02 Dec 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NC35 had more reasonably sized wheels.

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 18:42 - 02 Dec 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough.... you tried ringing any tyre stockists scoob?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

retrofly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 02 Dec 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
My mates got 090's he says they are ausome in the dry and wet, and they do seem to be very sticky once warmed up. Dont think it should be too hard to get hold of em, and most bike catalogs sell em.

Luke
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 18:46 - 02 Dec 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah not yet, I found the sound file of M's NC30 on my pc and played it and it sounds wicked, so I am seeing what the problems and stuff are with NC30's and so fair all i've found that is a problem with them is the reg/rec, dodgy sized rear wheel which limits tyre choice, and the valve clearances at 20,000 miles.

I won't actually phone any tyre stockists because I don't know if I will get an NC30 but I thought I'd ask you guys about the tyres to see what you know as the monkey on the end of the phone will just go 'we've got nothing in stock so I don't know'

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 19:08 - 02 Dec 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get BT45s for it as far as i know, you can even get them on the NC24. I think metzeler do a tyre for it as well, my 24 has mez 330s on it as well.

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 20:40 - 02 Dec 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get 090's for them i think, cos all the mags that have reviewed the grey 400's have referred to 090's as the tyre of choice for all the bikes
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976
sammarc This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:59 - 02 Dec 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about it, I think Stew said he had 090s on his.

Stew
If it's good enough for top race teams...

PostPosted: 22:10 - 02 Dec 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I had 090s on mine. But it now has the older BT96 on the rear (the 96s preceeded the 090s) coz carnells had run out of 090s so gave me the older tyre which doesnt seem a lot different. There are a few tyre manufacturers who supply 18 inch tyres so it isnt a major problem. Also the reg/rec may be a common fault but it isnt too tricky to find a replacement which is actually more reliable than the stock honda item.

drunkstudent
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:27 - 03 Dec 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep vfr's have a gay 18 inch rear wheel, but you can get pirelli dragons to fit them-there not brilliant in the wet but they are supposed to be the best in the dry

i use them on me rvf and my mate has them on his vfr and i find them to be grippy as fuck and they last quite well too and they look shit hot!

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 12:56 - 03 Dec 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do a 17" rear wheel conversion on the VFR...I haven't looked at it, but you can find it on the www.400greybike.co.uk site.

Most decent tyre places should at least be able to source an 18" rear for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

drunkstudent
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:23 - 03 Dec 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can put a 17 inch rear wheel from a rvf on one but there over £300 from a breakers!

but as well as dragons you can also get bridgestone bt96's to fit.
i know a guy that done a track day this weekend on them and apparently they have light weight carcus' as well to give a lower unsprung mass-thus supposedly increasing performance

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 15:45 - 03 Dec 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

why did they put 18inch wheel on the back first, what benefits would it have over the 17?
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:06 - 03 Dec 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT looks nicer Very Happy

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 18:59 - 03 Dec 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

BT92's will fit aswell, could well be a better bet than the BT090 unless you can afford to replace rear tyres every 2000 miles.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:11 - 03 Dec 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are 090s that bad?.. 010s last about 3500-4000 on my zx6.

drunkstudent
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:21 - 03 Dec 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

090's will prob give you between 2-3k miles-not many but i had 92's on me rvf did't realy like them, they lacked confidence when pushing the bike hard

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 19:31 - 03 Dec 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are 090s that bad?..

yeah. There's some charts on the Bridgestone website that show that the 090 is considerably more 'race' orientated the 010. You can run them closer to 3k, if the weather's good. Though by that time they'll be very illegal and if its wet you'll be allover the shop, although my bikes harsh power delivery doesn't help. IMHO you're much better off having 4000 good miles on a BT92 than 2000 very good miles and 1000 crap miles on an 090.

Keith

PostPosted: 19:49 - 03 Dec 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildGoose wrote:
why did they put 18inch wheel on the back first, what benefits would it have over the 17?

Hi

18" wheels were common before the 17" ones became fashionable. The RC30 used an 18" rear wheel, as did most late 80's bikes

All the best

Keith
You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 152 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1