Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Touring Tips - Luggage Etc.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Touring & Exploration by Korn (9 Nov 2005 - 18:48)
View previous topic : View next topic  

hugo-a-gogo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:18 - 24 May 2005    Post subject: Touring Tips - Luggage Etc. Reply with quote

anyone got any handy long distance touring tips?

I have throwover panniers with elasticated waterproof covers - will these things stay on? and a big tank bag, maybe a holdall on the back seat too
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous."
Hunter S Thompson
clicky 4 bikey
HurtMePlease This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

hugo-a-gogo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:27 - 24 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

yay, two way radio to......listen to local taxi firms and baby alarms?
i'll be on my own most of the time Sad
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous."
Hunter S Thompson
clicky 4 bikey

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:31 - 24 May 2005    Post subject: Re: Touring Tips - Luggage Etc. Reply with quote

hugo-a-gogo wrote:

I have throwover panniers with elasticated waterproof covers - will these things stay on? and a big tank bag, maybe a holdall on the back seat too

Answer is no, those plastic covers (such as you get with Oxford throwovers) actually make your stuff MORE wet if it pisses it down. The water gets thrown up inside them from the back wheel and forms a lake in the bottom. Put a black binliner in the pannier first then pack your stuff inside it.

An Orteib Dry-sack is just the thing to pack your kit in (sleeping bag etc.), they are sausage shaped and 100% waterproof, ideal for strapping to a luggage rack. Army issue, canvas duffel bags cost about a fiver and hold a huge amount of stuff too. Their shape also makes them good for strapping on and they are surprisingly waterproof.

Dri-sac and army duffel bag on my GPZ500s, better with a sports rack. Contains a 4 man tent, two 4-season sleeping bags, groundsheet, thermarest, stove, kettle, frying pan, change of clothes and full set of oilskins
https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=15171

hugo-a-gogo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:39 - 24 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have one of those fully waterproof bags (the missus does canoeing, it stays dry while submerged Thumbs Up ) but it isn't very big
I'm just putting stuff in carrier bags inside the panniers and tank bag
i need to keep the seat mainly free cos i will be picking up the missus later
no rack, unfortunately
no sleeping bag or camping gear tho, at least

I'm just wondering if there is any obvious things i've forgotten about

I'm not travelling that far (bout 300km to hoek van holland, then harwich to up near scotch corner) , but i have to bring lot's of gear
Hunter S Thompson
clicky 4 bikey

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:07 - 25 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume Hoeck van Holland is in europe then?

If you are going to go on a ferry, take something you can put under the ratchet straps to avoid them scratching your paint/saddle when they tie it down. Wonderweb is good but an old towel will do. It is also a good plan to take a spare bungee with which you can tie down the front brake lever to stop the bike rolling forwards.

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 00:15 - 25 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
also a good plan to take a spare bungee with which you can tie down the front brake lever to stop the bike rolling forwards.

Just leave the bike in gear....or use a ski strap to hold the lever

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:38 - 25 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the ubiquitous ball of string? Works for me. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hugo-a-gogo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:58 - 25 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I presume Hoeck van Holland is in europe then?

If you are going to go on a ferry, take something you can put under the ratchet straps to avoid them scratching your paint/saddle when they tie it down. Wonderweb is good but an old towel will do. It is also a good plan to take a spare bungee with which you can tie down the front brake lever to stop the bike rolling forwards.

yeah, hook of holland, ferry terminal, near rotterdam (i live in germany)

i'm taking a bar towel, but my paint is already pretty scratched tho Very Happy
Hunter S Thompson
clicky 4 bikey
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 333 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1