Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

159mph copper faces an appeal by the CPS

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 17:32 - 08 Jun 2005    Post subject: 159mph copper faces an appeal by the CPS Reply with quote

Radio news reports CPS are to appeal against the decision to let off the policeman caught doing 159mph because he was testing the capabilities of the vehicle.

Previous BCF thread links on this subject here and here.

Also, as was pointed out by a colleague, if he wasn't on duty and not authorised to take the vehicle why didn't he face a charge of taking without consent?

<edit>Found a bbc news story on this - click here</edit>

Last edited by map on 13:22 - 09 Jun 2005; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

VTR SP1
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:14 - 08 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if he beat up an old lady and stole the keys from her he would be done for robbery........but he diddent.

Cant you just stick to the facts?

SP1

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 08 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrrghhh! Not this topic again!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tintin
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:27 - 09 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

See it serves me right for never reading the story properly, I didn't realise he wasn't on duty and hadn't been sanctioned when he was out 'testing'. Therefore he should be subject to the the same laws as the rest of us.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:01 - 09 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Much as I think he should have been dealt with the same way as anyone else, not sure how he can be prosecuted again under the double jeopardy rules.

All the best

Keith

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:36 - 09 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kick , do you not remember the law chance that was announced or planned by the NL government that people can be tried over and over again if sigbnificant new evidence turns up or something like that I recall having a debate about this being used to persecute people the government didn't like till they got the rigth verdict
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:06 - 09 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I do remember that, but given that it was meant to be for serious offences and where new info has turned up I think it would be an abise of this law to use it to have another go at prosecuting him. Think they double jeopardy rules are still meant to apply most of the time.

All the best

Keith

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 14:36 - 09 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
...not sure how he can be prosecuted again...

Don't think it's another prosecution but isn't there something about the CPS (or whoever) being allowed to appeal if a sentence is too lenient? Maybe it's that they're using?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 14:51 - 09 Jun 2005    Post subject: The diplomatic approach Reply with quote

https://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y278/Killa127/Cock.jpg

VTR SP1
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:09 - 09 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
Don't think it's another prosecution but isn't there something about the CPS (or whoever) being allowed to appeal if a sentence is too lenient? Maybe it's that they're using?

He was found not guilty so was not sentanced. Cant be that.

SP1

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 15:50 - 09 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the double jeapardy rules mean that you can't be convicted for the same crime twice.

For example, Hex vanishes, and I'm convicted for murder based on evidence that I didn't like his face.
I go down for 10 years.
Hex then reappears, and I kill him in broad daylight, by battering him with a massive dildo whilst screaming "arrrggghhh the monkey face is back!!!!".
Since I've already been convicted for his murder and served 10 years for it, I'm then immune from re-prosecution?

Something like that.

If however you're found innocent of a crime, and new evidence comes up later, I think you can be re-tried. Not sure though.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 16:06 - 09 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki wrote:
If however you're found innocent of a crime, and new evidence comes up later, I think you can be re-tried. Not sure though.

Think we need a legal bod, but my understanding is that double jeopardy laws were in place to stop repeated attempts at prosecution until the right result was achieved.

All the best

Keith

jimster
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:25 - 09 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once he's found not guilty, he cannot be charged again with the same crime. But the CPS can still appeal and try to get a court to say that he shouldn't have been let off.

Why do this? So that if a similar situation arises in future, there'll be a clear court ruling on whether the person should be found guilty or not.

It's fairly rare for the CPS to appeal a not-guilty verdict, but they will do it if the verdict was particularly absurd!

N.B. The double jeopardy rule has been (imo disgracefully) scrapped by the Criminal Justice Act 2003, but you can only be tried twice for the same crime if:
(1) it's a serious crime and
(2) new evidence has emerged.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 296 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1