Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

This year's Eurotrip

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Touring & Exploration by Korn (9 Nov 2005 - 19:02)
View previous topic : View next topic  

ali-b
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:16 - 09 Jun 2005    Post subject: This year's Eurotrip Reply with quote

Hi,

Me and a couple of mates are going to Europe for a couple of weeks at the end of August. This will be a motorbike tour, using YHA and campsites as stopovers.

My question really is, are there any special places that people have visited in France, Spain, Holland, Germany or Italy that are really worth going. I've looked on loads of web sites etc etc, but I was hoping for a bit more of a personal recommendation...even if its just a particular stretch of road you rode...

We're all pretty flexible when it comes to route planning, so much so that we don't, at the moment, have a route Laughing

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Alex.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jamie_C
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:20 - 09 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello ali-b,
Well my brother went to the french Alps on his bike and said that was excellent. I have been to Bavaria and the roads and sights their are excellent too. For some info on German tourist routes you can go to the german tourism website. I believe it is www.germany-tourism.de or something along those lines. I should imagine other countries will have scenic routes mapped out on their tourism websites. Hope this helps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ali-b
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:32 - 09 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, I've put a big highlight on a few roads on my giant map of Europe, some of the scenic routes seem pretty cool on that site, and the Alps at one point or another is a must Very Happy

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 01:56 - 10 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds cool. I am hoping to be that way around the same time, so may bump into you.

There are loads of places, and where ever you go, you're sure to find something interesting.

France/Italy
I would recommend the coastal roads between Saint Tropez and Genoa. Going through Monaco. Its absolute magic (just be careful with all those tight corners I frequently found oncoming traffic crossing the centre line.

Also worth a mention the D141 between Cassis and La Ciotat.

Spain
One of my favourite roads, which also has some amazing views, is the N-260 between Sort and Montferrer (near Andorra). Be prepared to loose your hero blobs on this one.

There are many many more. Basically, if you want nice windy roads, simply look on a map near mountains for small roads that zig zag a lot. These also tend to have breath taking views.

Alps
These are magnificent. Simply pick a route across and it will be memorable. I would stay away from long tunnels as they are rather dull (but a lot quicker if you need to catch a ferry). I always try and see how high I can go.

I enjoyed a beaut of a sweeping A road in Northern France between Le Mans and Santes. But I have no idea which one it was. I guess if you are covering that sort of distance you will see lots of beautiful roads.

Don't forget to write and tell us about it when you get back (For those of us who can't get there).

Good Luck and have fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:38 - 10 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno but i think this might be worth a visit Razz

Take a good camera Very Happy

Hope you all have a good time, driveing me nuts not being able to do anything similar quite yet, next year... next year...

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 09:46 - 10 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

zero wrote:

Hope you all have a good time, driveing me nuts not being able to do anything similar quite yet, next year... next year...

Where's that!!!!?

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 09:59 - 10 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody ever learnt from the Romans did they? Razz
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Fallen Angel
Franny the Nanny

PostPosted: 10:27 - 10 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

zero wrote:

WOW!!! Shocked

What a view!!

Where's that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 11:10 - 10 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallen Angel wrote:
WOW!!! Shocked

What a view!!

Where's that?

I don't even think I'd notice the view with a road like that! Smile

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 11:23 - 10 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd definitely recommend the French Alps, like natv4 said you can't go wrong there. The N85, also known as the route Napoleon, from Grenoble to the South coast is a good one Smile

At a guess, is that photo somewhere in Austria?

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 11:51 - 10 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been there but I've always wanted to try the Stelvio pass. It's the highest in Italy and near Switzerland.
Some cribbed images...
https://www.ski-epic.com/europemcycle2004/p148s_stelvio_pass.jpg

https://www.cimt.it/images/stelvio.jpg

https://www.bosenberg.com/jpg/img0026k.jpg https://www.my-mc.com/messages/31335/53015.jpg

Thumbs Up

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 12:14 - 10 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drooling

Shit I was near there a few months ago too!

Chriss
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 10 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

*adjusts knee sliders*

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 12:39 - 10 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck Shocked! That'd be a bad time for the brakes to fail.

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:08 - 10 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grossglockner pass (put it in autoroute)

Also where Stelvio map says!

It might be a bit interesting on a lardy tourer loaded up! Shocked But its what sports bikes were designed for...

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:14 - 10 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

maurice wrote:
Fuck Shocked! That'd be a bad time for the brakes to fail.

It didn't use to be uncommon for coaches in particular to overheat their brakes on long descents like those, with obviously disastrous consequences.

As a result, many Alpine coaches nowadays are fitted with additional electro-magnetic brake(s) (well, more like a dynamo) to recover some of the kinetic energy back into electrical energy, and to reduce the need for prolonged brake usage. I'm sure you can get special discs and pad compounds to get around most of the heat problem, but not in ye olden days with huge drum brakes all round.

ali-b
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:24 - 10 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - awesome suggestions all. I've been out and about today (nothing bike related) so apologies for the late reply.

My giant map of Europe is looking better and better, with loads of suggested routes and destinations!

All of us will be taking cameras, so hopefully we'll get a few good stills for you all when we get back, I'm also toying with the idea of a bike mounted video camera too (if I can get a camera mount that doesn't replace my tank bag space)...kinda depends on luggage space I guess...

I'm currently wiring up a couple of lighter sockets to the bike to charge kit like cameras, as well as providing USB power to devices like phones etc etc

Cheers all Very Happy

Alex.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 12:35 - 17 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

ali-b wrote:
...I'm also toying with the idea of a bike mounted video camera too (if I can get a camera mount that doesn't replace my tank bag space)...

May I suggest you look into getting a RAM Mount (no, it's not a kinky Welsh pasttime) - click here for link. Actually order from GPS Warehouse.
https://www.ram-mount-uk.com/images/products/ram-b-149z-c1-large.jpg

Mount goes on handlebars (universal mount goes into the clutch or brake bolts) so no loss of luggage space. They also are more solid than the others I've seen (possibly Motrax). If you email them with what you want they're good at replying and will check what you need.

HTH Thumbs Up

ali-b
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:55 - 17 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys, RAM mounting device has been purchased...hopefully I won't be posting a video of me sliding rapidly away from the bike/camera and towards a large French bus Smile

Found a highly recommended place near Chamonix on the alps...I forgot my friend's mum is French - DOH!

Not sure if we'll be going huge speeds all the time as there are 2 recent passers coming with, but I'm sure there will be a few views to peek at Smile

Special requests for photos/videos currently include :-

Alex with his knee on the floor
Alex with his elbow on the floor (hmmmm)
Alex with his ear on the floor (I think someone may be taking the mick)
Pictures of girls in bikinis
Pictures of guys in bikinis (thanks to my sister for that!!!)
Nice scenery (parent's suggestion)
Any 'by the roadside' fixes we perform
Any cool bikes we find
The entire male contingent at my work all replied at about the same time with an e-mail with the subject line 'GIRLS!' - lol!

As you can tell, there is a definate theme to the requests...more suggestions welcome - we'll see what random rubbish we can engineer for the amusement of the viewing public Wink

Alex.

Yeti
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:04 - 17 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just got back from europe on the bikes and we did one of the top ten biking roads in the world! its a must! If you go to the nurburg ring in germany which is great fun in itself! then take the 258 from nurburg town to auchen you will not be dissapointed 75 miles of smooth wide roads sweeping corners that you can see the exit from the entry ultimately one of the best biking roads in the world! it has to be done!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 17 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it! It will be a wicked experience. Ive been to France twice now on my zx6r, and the last time i went with my mate, was one of the best holidays ever!

My Uncle has sold up and moved to Spain this year, and once they get their new place fully sorted im hoping to ride over in sept or october to see them for a few days, and try out a few Spanish roads, though what i really want to do is a trackday in the sun!

mistergixer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:00 - 17 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brittany, Corley to Guingamp.
Not as bonkers as those alpine passes, but such a good blast that we turned round and rode it again. Then we had to turn round and ride it again, just to get back to where we wanted to go.
The only downer was having a wasp fly down the neck of my leathers, stung me 3 times on the chest before crawling into my armpit and stinging me a further 4 times.
My mate (who was riding behind me) rounded a bend to be greeted by the sight of me, stripped down to my pants, at the side of the road, thrashing myself with a glove.
Embarassed
Space Monkey #7
Don Eladio is dead. His capos are dead. You have no one left to fight for. Fill your pockets and leave in peace. Or fight me and die!
Mistergixer's videos on YouTube
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 288 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1