Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Closure of "The Wheel"

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 18:00 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Closure of "The Wheel" Reply with quote

This should probably be in the Midlands forum, however, it may be of interest to everyone.

The Wheel of Worfield has been a popular meeting place for bikers for years. Last night, police decided that enough was enough and closed the pub at 9pm.

They have taken the Landlady's licence from her, and want to have the pub closed at least until July the 4th.

Front cover headline of tonight's "Express and Star"

INVASION OF BIKERS SHUTS PUB
Local residents rung the police from fear for public safety. It is because of public safety that the pub has been shut.

Now then.... who fancies a trip to Bridgnorth on a Wednesday night? [/b]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 18:02 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked That's crazy, I was looking forward to going a few times this summer Sad

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 18:08 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spookily I'd just read about that on the MCN site - click here.
Quote:
Police closed down the bike meet at The Wheel, Worfield, near Bridgenorth, Shropshire on Wednesday night (June 22) – amid a storm of protest from riders....At about 9.15pm the landlady came on the loudspeaker that was being used to play music to the crowd, telling us that the police were shutting the event down due to ‘public safety concerns’....

Appears there was a very large police presence, stopping bikers on the way there, video taping and even inside the pub. Appears too well planned and coordinated by the police just to have been a spur of the moment thing based on a few phone calls.

I wouldn't be surprised if the decision to close the meeting was made by the police sometime earlier, maybe days before Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 18:11 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be there on wednesday, better pack some 'missiles'

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 18:12 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've only removed her licence to sell alcohol.

I wonder what the pigs would do if we all just carried on turning up and drank coke.

Laughing

/edit...

From MCN Website wrote:
The landlady made a defiant speech asking us to all come back next week.

So, who's coming?

Annabella

PostPosted: 18:15 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Police Swoop on 1500 riders"
INVASION OF BIKERS SHUTS PUB

A popular pub near Wolverhampton has been closed by police - after is was swamped with over 1500 bikers.
Plastic bottle and cans were thrown at officers after they swooped on the Wheel of Worfield just after 9pm last night following dozens of calls from worried residents.

Hundreds of customers were inside when the officers took away the pub's licence from landlady Gloria Goodson amid fears for public safety. Police want to keep it closed until July 4th.

Biker Stephen Vogan, From Wolverhampton, said he could not understand why officers had swiped the licence. "Nobody was doing anything wrong at all. We know there has been trouble in the past but there were no wheelies being performed or anything. "Everyone was having a nice time but when the police came a few people got a bit angry"

Inspector Andy Thomas, of Bridgnorth police, said he felt closing the pub - which has been holding the Wednesday Biker meet for nine years - was te best course of action to make sure nobody got hurt"
He said "The even has grown beyond what is reasonably manageable and the licensee has failed to implement the suggestions I recommended some time ago aimed at improving safety.
"There was random parking of machines on the grass verges, pavements and any available space which was restricting the views of emerging traffic."

He issued a notice banning the pub from trading for 24 hours and it will be closed until further hearing at Telford Magistrates' Court tomorrow.

He said police were seeking an extension of the closure until July 4th because of concerns over the safety of the meets.

"I attended the premises in response to calls by member os the public about public safety and I closed the pub under Section 179 of the Licensing Act", he added.

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 18:20 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

corrupt wankers
all because a load of old grannys complained
they give u the look of death when ur riding normaly
hurry up and die already
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ash t
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twatstickles!
Il go to bridgenorth!

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 18:26 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki wrote:
...removed her licence to sell alcohol. I wonder what ...if we all just carried on turning up and drank coke.

Very Happy
Wasn't it Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights where they got around a lack of a licence by just selling bottles?

Don't quote me but I think Squires may also be a similar setup if you want an alcoholic beverage.

Last edited by map on 18:26 - 23 Jun 2005; edited 1 time in total

Annabella

PostPosted: 18:26 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/nav?page=motorcyclenews.articles.articleCategory.article&resourceId=2627647&articleCategory=NEWS_OTHER-NEWS

Looks like a lot of people are planning on going next week whether the pub is open or not Very Happy

Thumbs Up

M1ke
Ped Boi

PostPosted: 18:33 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go next week but not sure its worth the hassle really. If they wanted to be picky they could fuck me for small plate, loud can, no tax etc and my bikes the wrong colour on the log book, may rise some eyebrows.

I will think about it, I am very disgusted for them closing it down though.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 18:42 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the first time the meeting has made the paper though.
There's this thread from August 2004.
The newspaper article attached to it looks like more of the same prejudice.

Thumbs Up

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 18:48 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi wrote:
Worthless cocksuckers. It's a shame a few molotovs weren't thrown.

What would that achieve? It would hardly prove that the event is a peaceful event if people are acting like thugs chucking molotovs at the police?

I'm as disgusted as you are at the prejudice, but violence would be the wrong way to go about this.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Metal_Mickey
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:51 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MCN Website wrote:
As the coppers left there was one hell of a swell towards them and they got a damn good stoning, stones, glasses cans, bike parts

So THAT'S where my missing bar end and crash protector went to !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 18:58 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metal_Mickey wrote:
The MCN Website wrote:
As the coppers left there was one hell of a swell towards them and they got a damn good stoning, stones, glasses cans, bike parts

l could just imagine Tarty R6/GSXR owners throwing anodised bits at them Laughing
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 19:12 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

and this is the way to improve the police and biker comunity?, what a joke total farce and a good way to aleinate the bikers to the police , i just wonder how many made up laws was used lastnite against the pub and bikers alike to "try and get the point across"
just another show that this country is going to the dogs, after all wasnt it only 2 weeks ago in oldbury that 1000 indian people squeezed in to a 300 person meeting hall for a fashion show and thepolice was reported to have said they have no laws to stop this happening, what a load of BS

AHH feel better now

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 19:12 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metal_Mickey wrote:
The MCN Website wrote:

I thought Annabella was stealing things to build herself a Gixxer piece by piece. Afterall, she is the common factor in all of your bike disintegration incidente! Wink

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:34 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Right, definatly be there next week. But be aware that they are likely to land up being really picky so make 100% sure you are fully legal (including visors, etc).

I think we left at about 8:45 last night. On the way there (7ish) there were police everywhere. Several police cars and bikes hiding in the hedges. Another flock of them randomly pulling bikes over (there seemed to be no logic at all to who they pulled up). One pair of them sitting opposite the pub, one armed with a video camera. They even had the helicopter circling for 10 minutes or so.

Question is what to do.

The bikes were actually well parked last night (never is bad to be honest when I have gone). Visability pulling out of The Wheel was not bad at all. Nobody was playing silly buggers (but then they would need to be mad to with so many police there).

Can we take out an ASBO against the officer in charge?

And people wonder almost all respect I had for the police force has been destroyed.

All the best

Keith

RealNinja
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean I have to go on the 400? Wink

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

M1ke wrote:
I would go next week but not sure its worth the hassle really. If they wanted to be picky they could fuck me for small plate, loud can, no tax etc and my bikes the wrong colour on the log book, may rise some eyebrows.

I will think about it, I am very disgusted for them closing it down though.

Well you've got till next week to get the can and plate sorted, haven't you? Rolling Eyes

RealNinja
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
Suzuki wrote:
...removed her licence to sell alcohol. I wonder what ...if we all just carried on turning up and drank coke.

Very Happy
Wasn't it Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights where they got around a lack of a licence by just selling bottles?

Don't quote me but I think Squires may also be a similar setup if you want an alcoholic beverage.

Nope, you need an alcohol licence to serve alcohol, it's that simple. However, if we were to turn up with our own alcohol, that would be a different story.

You could still sell non-alcoholic stuff though

paulthewitt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

disgraceful,
thats all i can say without getting really worked up and spouting off about the pigs frying our bacon cos they dont like us.

idiots

Paul Evil or Very Mad

Chriss
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame, I used to attend this meet every Wednesday. Sad

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 22:07 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah there. I think that some people need to take a step back before lunging in...but I've never been to the place, so I could be wrong...

Anyway, from what I have read in the quotes from the articles - the pub was closed down due to public safety - to me, that could also include the wellbeing of the bikers, and that the landlady is the only to blame (maybe sounds a bit harsh when said like that). If there is barely enough parking, then what about waste management (including litter and human waste)? The actual parking issue could be a hazard in itself, and accidents can easily happen in such busy environments. I could go on into other Health & Safety aspects, especially when applied to such establishments, but I can't be bothered Razz

Just my view from reading the news snippets.

TOM M
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

BASTARDS
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 273 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6