Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Supermoto - FAO Yams

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 12:18 - 27 Jun 2005    Post subject: Supermoto - FAO Yams Reply with quote

I want to sell my ninja and get a supermoto. Mainly because 3 more points and ive lost my license. I love doing stunts and stuff and supermotos aren't £1300 to insure.

What are the best, i like the one yams has and any idea of insurance?

Thanks Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jrod
Page 3 Girl

PostPosted: 12:28 - 27 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a very practical bike, can't maintain motorway speeds without going bang, need alot of oil and filter changing. I'm sure he will give you the details but consider getting something in a lower state of tune.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:28 - 27 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy some bikes which are already in supermoto trim, such as the KTM SMC models, but some of the best are the ones which have been converted from an enduro machine, which is what Yams' exc450 originally started life as.

There is no real best supermoto. A lot of it is down to personal preference. Personally, I find the Yamaha WR400 makes a beautiful transformation into a SM (just look at Yams' old one for an example, very fine machine indeed.) Pretty much any of the top end 400ish bikes (WR, EXC, XR, DRZ, etc) make a good conversion, but this tends to be quite costly. The rims, wheels, brakes and such cost a considerable amount.

Other alternative is to look into bikes which are already designed as a SM from the start. Something along the lines of the DRZ400 SM.

Depends what sort of budget you're on to be honest.

Cant really comment on the insurance, I only ever owned a 50cc supermoto. Laughing

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 12:34 - 27 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not more than £4,000. I like the CCM RC30. Can pick them up for around £2,800 for a 2002/3 4,500 miles on autotrader which seems quite good.

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 12:35 - 27 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not get a slower sports bike?

A supermoto will still accelerate like crazy. Stunts are bound to get you more points. I can't see a copper liking you accelerating off the lights popping wheelies much more than he will like you doing 80 in a 60.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 12:36 - 27 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if you don't get 3 points for speeding, you get 3 points for doing wheelies instead?

Why not just give your throttle hand a rest?
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Jrod
Page 3 Girl

PostPosted: 12:42 - 27 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, shut up Jon. Wink Razz You act wayyyyyyyyyy to mature. Wink Laughing

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 12:54 - 27 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh jon, you sound like your about to retire. Laughing

Dom, had a 400 already. I want a bike with wicked acceleration but without the stupid top end. 100 should do it i reckon but with 0-60 in like 3.

Stunts will be kept for private roads of course. Cool

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 13:02 - 27 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

So So, it's the truth ennit. Razz
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Klause
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 27 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would suit a supermoto as your tall as fook, well anyone is tall to me Embarassed .

Your zx6r is restricted anyway?

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:34 - 27 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
So So, it's the truth ennit. Razz

Even I reckon that's far too sensible a thing for a 17 year old to say and I'm a dull bastard!

Wheelie machine sounds a good idea, so long as you're not wanting to do longer trips.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 13:38 - 27 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I never said wheelying isn't fun. I merely suggested that doing wheelies instead of speeding was hardly a good deed and lesser chance of getting caught? Wink

ash t
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 27 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

markcatate wrote:
yeh jon, you sound like your about to retire. Laughing

Dom, had a 400 already. I want a bike with wicked acceleration but without the stupid top end. 100 should do it i reckon but with 0-60 in like 3.

Stunts will be kept for private roads of course. Cool

Cant you downgear? or have a speed restrictor?

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 14:07 - 27 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically i don't want a sports bike atm. I'm still on 2 year restricton but if i get a supermoto i will not get it done because they are not that fast anyway (top end) Also insurance isn't such a joke.

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 14:25 - 27 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

A decent supermoto will do about 90 and a restricted 600 will do about 100-110. Both can still get you banned. I just don't see the point.

If you can't control the speed of your bike then you shouldn't be on the road IMHO. Karma Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 17:47 - 27 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of people buy supermotos to "save" their licences then get caught learning to wheely and get fucked over with more points for dangerous driving Laughing

Supermotos won't get you done for speeding in 70+ really but you can easily get done as per usual at other speeds. So really a supermoto IMO isn't a licence saver at all.. they are more fun at slower speeds BUT only because you change from big A roads to tiny country lanes that aren't even on the map! That's where the fun is.

But yes you can still get caught.

Don't think buying a supermoto will make you a wheely god either, they don't have a switch on the bars that make them wheely Laughing yes they are easier to get up as they have more lower end grunt but still takes the same amount of balls to keep it up as a sports bike does.

I prefer wheelying sports bikes anyway hence why I don't ride the KTM on the road any more. It's off road only now, won't be insured as of August and has no tax/mot/nothing.. basically just purely a race bike now. All it needs is the engine Laughing

It all comes down to what sort of riding you want to do, as if you want speed, open roads, long distance.. forget it.. or get a street moto like the MZ Baghira etc, still good bikes IMO just not as race orientated/tuned/uncomfy.

Expect 50/60 miles to a tank if you're lucky and that's only if you can last 60 miles without being in too much pain Laughing

No security, forget leaving it anywhere/parking up...

Insurance is still relatively high.. my KTM was £700 to insure FUCKERs because they class them as "high risk of theft" due to no ignition etc.. can't win!!! The R6 was a grand to insure and they still wanted £700 for a 450?

No wonder I didn't tell them it was bored out to 525 and generally speeded up Laughing

Think about it long and hard mate, you're welcome to a go on my KTM at some point in MX trim at J40 m25 place to see what it's like but I can't think of anywhere you can ride it in supermoto trim unless I take it to J40 in SM trim??

Engine should be rebuild in a few weeks FINALLY as I have all the parts etc now... that's another thing, if you break it!! expect to pay shit loads.

The KTM has cost me nearly £5.5/6k (including buying it) now and I've only ridden it for 40 miles Laughing altho I didn't /have/ to go 525 Twisted Evil

I'd say an ideal bike for you is a KTM Duke 2.. absolutely gorgeous bikes, especially in black. Lower state of tune, bigger engine, so still fast and slightly more reliable than the 525 etc. Can be bought for £3k ish or so and generally look great/look fun to ride. I'd buy one myself to be honest but a duke 2 won't be much good for racing. You do have to sacrifice a lot of riding types such as motorways (don't even go on one, painful and stupid Laughing ) and touring/long distance is out of the question too.

But they ARE good fun, and track days are so much cheaper, plus they really are a go anywhere bike.. take them offroad, on road whatever they'll pretty much cope with most but the roughest stuff.

The WR400 is a good bike, I loved mine as it was wicked for wheelying, I haven't found a better wheely bike than that yet Sad sooo smooth and easy to get up to BP (mine was anyway after a lot of practice! Laughing)

But these type of motards need regular oil changes and lots of maintence/servicing Sad so I'm learning!!

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 19:54 - 27 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what i need, thanks yams. Thumbs Up

Dom_ i can control my bike and i don't need/give a shit about that. Middle Finger but the extra speed is there and even more will be when its derestricted so occasionally i will want to go for a quick blast. Supermotos top end are 90-100 which is alot more sensible.

All i would use it for is driving around for fun. Go anywhere really and to learn to stunt properly. I can my ninja abit but to drop it would cost loads compared to SM because they are alot more durable.

Check....
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 278 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1