Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Wellseal and stuff

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:53 - 18 Aug 2005    Post subject: Wellseal and stuff Reply with quote

Hi,

I split my sump pan off, and after rejoining it with a new gasket it has leaked after only 1 day! I was advised to use some Wellseal (possibly Weldseal) on the join in conjunction with the gasket to ensure it makes a reliable seal. I was told it is quite expensive though (£25), and I'm quite skint so...

Is this product just an instant gasket or it something more special/effective. I noticed 2/3 types of instant gasket at Halfords when I worked there which are considerably cheaper.

Advise me what type to use please. Thank you Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:05 - 18 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would probably cost less than 25 quid for a new sump gasket. If it was me, I'd make sure that all the mating surfaces are clean and flat (!) and use a new gasket instead of faffing around with sealants.

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:28 - 18 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfaces and gasket were as good as I could have possibly made them. I like to do things properly.

It's just doing exactly what I have done before, again, won't guarantee it will hold. As past result has shown...

Or should I pay another 7/8 quid and chance it?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ichy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:05 - 19 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had similar problems in the past with rubber gaskets that were not original equipment, material just 'feels' harder. Anyway I think that oil is supposed to cause the seal to expand, this is why I thought o rings and stuff were supposed to be oiled when fitted Question It might be worth soaking the gasket in oil or at least oiling the mating surface. Not sure what bike it is but personally I wouldn't have a problem using instant gasket with the proper gasket to seal everything on an older bike, only because its not high pressure tho'. Biggest risk is bits of the instant gasket getting into the engine. Just keep an eye on the torque and pattern for tightening the sump back up.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:21 - 19 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a paper gasket, so it will be kept clean/oil free. Smile

Got me Wellseal (£6, not £25) Rolling Eyes and going to have a go tomorrow when it stops raining.

Very small job that turns out to be double the effort in the end. Typical. Razz

Thanks Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

numbnut
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 23 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:11 - 21 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wellseal is really designed to fill small wells in the mating faces of what you are trying to seal, does exactly what it says on the tin. If this doesn't work try just using a decent RTV sealant. I use the out of date ones from work on my own engine builds be it car or bike.

If you get stuck i think i have a couple of tubes that have just gone out of date in my tool box at work. Give us a shout and will hapilly post one out to you. Would normally do about 4 or 5 VW sumps with a tube.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 46 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 1.97 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 49.88 Kb