Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Rotational stress/strain. Any engineers?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:20 - 18 Aug 2005    Post subject: Rotational stress/strain. Any engineers? Reply with quote

Right, on my quest for cast wheels for my KLE, I have a question.

If I were to fit a 3-spoke alloy front wheel with 'swept back' spokes in the bike flipped through 180 degrees (so the brake disc is on the correct side), is the braking force through the wheel going to snap the spokes because it is working the wrong way round?

I know the mass of the bike will be working vertically through the spoke anyway so this should make no difference, but there must be a fair twisting force between the hub and the rim when you apply the brakes. I suspect the 'sweep' on the wheel is nothing other than a styling cue but I don't want to hit the brakes and find the wheel collapses under me Shocked

It maybe doesn't even work like that?

I did a picture. A is how the wheel is designed to work. B is what I am proposing.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:25 - 18 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I can't offer any advice but just to say from the title I'm disappointed this thread isn't about kinky sex on a fairground ride Very Happy

Just my thought process Karma

FWIW IMO I would have thought some lateral forces would also come into play. Hope you get an answer.
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Suzuki
Roger



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:12 - 18 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct in thinking that the sweeping design of the spokes is to give additional strength to withstand the forces applied during brakeing.

I would advise against flipping the wheel round.

A number of large trikes use a motorcycle rear wheel for the front wheel, but have it flipped in reverse. This is because they're designed to withstand the forces of accelleration. When used as a front wheel, they have to be reversed so that they withstand the forces of brakeing.

However, for an answer you can rely on... contact the manufacturer.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:50 - 18 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the looks of it, braking with the wheel the normal way round would put a compressive load directly down the line of the spokes as the leading edge of the spoke is tangential to the hub. The other way around, I would have to say that the line of action of the force would be across the section of the spoke as the leading edge of the spoke points towards the centre of the hub.

Sorry if that doesn't sound very clear, but basically what I'm saying is that the normal way round will produce compressive loading of the spokes, whereas the reverse way round will create a bending moment at the spoke/ hub interface.

Anyone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Hopefully I am.

However, whether it would actually be a problem is another question altogether. Confused
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Korn
Admin



Joined: 01 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:00 - 18 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other people have already nailed down the physics, however a point to remember is that (unless you're using super lightweight ultra exotic wheels straight from motoGP racing) they are likely to be over engineered to such a degree that any extra stress from your application will still be well within what they can safely tolerate... IMHO.
____________________
3516 Miles, 11 Countries
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:20 - 18 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ what korn said, only way to find out iwoudl be to try it and monitor it VERY carefully check for hairline fractures (uv light, soloution of some kind + magnifying glass apparenty) after giveing it a bit of stick, can't see it just snaping in half without warning, but its stil a risk... front wheel disintergrateing at 100 wouldn't be allot of fun Shocked

Somebody with pro engineer, 100% certainty of the material being used and ALLOT of time (or just hapen to have the model drawn up allready) could tell you if the load is going to be sustained or not, i dont even know how to use it so can't be of much help there Sad

Normal spoked wheels are a pain in the ass to clean e.t.c. but they can be repaired if the sheeit really hits the fan, all you need do is take spare spokes and a spoke spanner thing...
____________________
>RidingSkills<->Tech Tips<->MyBikes<
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:38 - 18 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the input guys. I think I will have to stick with either finding a cast wheel with the disc on the left hand side, a symmetrical wheel with the disc on either side or if it comes to it, get a spare standard wheel and have a 17" rim built on to it.

Just kind of liked the idea of having cast wheels, no good reason for it really, I am aware that a spoked wheel will be stronger. I'll see what they have in the breakers tomorrow, you never know, I might even land up with a comstar Smile

Thanks again.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:14 - 18 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bikepics.com/pics/pics/aprilia-rs125-99-bikepics-411482.jpg

Saw this and thought of you.
____________________
"because one stroke isnt enough and four strokes waste two"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Lee_367
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 22 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:05 - 18 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that out of an RS125? What happened to do that?
____________________
?It?s mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack?not rationality.?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:23 - 19 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

cagiva gezzer wrote:


Saw this and thought of you.


Interesting, although that wheel has clearly broken through the 'strong' axis of the spokes. Any idea how it happened?
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

no_shad
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 17 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:22 - 19 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Head first into a car. Only suffered broken thumbs. Surprised
Full Story Here
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Big Pete
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 18 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:33 - 20 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stinkwheel, I'm a consultant stress engineer by trade, I spend all day doing finite element analysis of bits of planes etc.

So, flip the wheel if you want, normal riding loads are miniscule compared to crash loads, and wheels are massively overengineered anyway, given that I (20 stone of pure muscle Rolling Eyes ) could run that rim into a kerp at 30mph and expect no significant damage, you arent going to have any problems. The only theoretical risk is fatigue cracking, as ally has a low fatigue strength. However, the driving stresses are so low as to give an effectively infinite life.
____________________
Trust me, I`m an engineer
GarageOfPower.co.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:05 - 20 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Pete Thumbs Up

That makes my life considerably easier and cheaper since I already own that wheel and it is in a scrap bike. As such it also comes with a tyre, brake disc, spacers and speedo drive (which may or may not work). It is also the mate of the rear wheel I am going to use.

Oh and congratulations on oficialy becoming The Garage of Power® Cool
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:38 - 20 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
...I will have to stick with either finding ...a symmetrical wheel with the disc on either side ...

Just a thought, what's the wheel size of the GT550? I know that's got 2 discs but don't have info on sizes. If ok then should be available at breakers and do come up on eBay.
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

iCraig
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:29 - 20 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:

Just a thought, what's the wheel size of the GT550? I know that's got 2 discs but don't have info on sizes. If ok then should be available at breakers and do come up on eBay.


GT550 has an 18" or 19" Front wheel if I remember correctly.

Stinkwheel, why not just source an ER-5 wheel?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 50 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.69 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 94.86 Kb