Number Plates

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Couger
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:03 - 02 Feb 2003    Post subject: Number Plates Reply with quote

Heya all,

Just a quick question. I've decided to reduce the size of my plate on the NSR. I don't want anything drastically small or police attracting so I wanted to ask what what kind of size was a good compromise between trick and semi-legal.

Cheers,
Cougs.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:05 - 02 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, dont go smaller than 9x3 imo

and why not get one of the BCF ones through kev?

DUG
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:22 - 02 Feb 2003    Post subject: plates Reply with quote

well mate i changed my plate in december and made it 8x6,had the lettering changed and had a slogan and a nice little added logo in the background Wink all was fine until last friday Sad i pulled over to talk to my mates who were pushing there motorcross bikes along the road and then suddenly the old bill came from everywhere Question i was puzzled.then after accusing us of illegal street racing Shocked they done a vehicle check on me and everything was fine.then there was a cocky jumped up little twat of a copper who started to pick at my bike..........ofcourse wot did he find wrong........ yep u guessed it......the numberplate.......tosser.....after causing an arguement he was told to go away by another copper and they just said ok change it A.S.A.P.....the coppers found it funny...the plate that is...but the moral of the story is....change ur plate but ur always gona carry the risk of bein tugged by a cocky little shit with nothin to do.....i say GO 4 IT Laughing but keep it to a reasonable size...all the best m8

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:25 - 02 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitting by some people pushing mx bikes along the side of the road is asking for trouble, because they're often nicked.

DUG
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:30 - 02 Feb 2003    Post subject: plates Reply with quote

really me would never of guessed that G Laughing na they werent nicked,just pushin them to a mates house

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:32 - 02 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe not, but the police weren't to know that Smile

M1ke
Ped Boi

PostPosted: 14:42 - 02 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

are there any decent sites that make number plates? i did have one bookmarked but i ended up formatting Sad

Also whats is the legal size please?

cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:47 - 02 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.malplates.co.uk - but if your gonna get one, ask kev for the BCF one Smile

Quote:

Legal plates for motorcycles must mave black legal characters (i.e. the legal font / typeface) measuring exactly 64x44mm, spaced 10mm apart with 30mm between letter groups. The characters must be placed on DVLA approved yellow reflective backing. All margins between the edge of the plate and the nearest part of the letter must be a minimum of 11mm. The registration must be displayed on two lines and split in the conventional way. Tampering with letter groups is not permitted.
Logos are permitted but must fit into an area 178 x 13mm, centered at the bottom of the plate. The plate must also display the BSAU mark to indicate its shatterproof qualities.

Retro-reflective Euro badges are permitted, and must display the Euro Stars logo and the letters GB on a blue backing strip.

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 15:11 - 02 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the plates have to be plain, with standard black lettering.
The only logo you're allowed is the EU Symbol or the British flag.

a number plate must be marked with the following information: -

The British Standard Number (currently BS AU 145d)
The name, trade mark, or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier. (The company who actually make the number plate.)
The name and postcode of the supplying outlet. (The 'supplying outlet' is taken to mean a company whose business consists wholly or partly of selling number plates.)
A non-reflective border and the Euro-symbol with the national identification letters are optional additions.
There shall be no other markings or material contained on the number plate.

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 15:30 - 02 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

couger, you see the little metal tray your plate is bolted too???

well i put a plate on my nsr which was that size lmao!!! i took 5 and a half hours before i got pulled Laughing so i didnt bother after that........

i dont really see the need for small plates, the police are very anti biker as it is, a small plate is just anouther excuse for them to dish out some points if you ask me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:35 - 02 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, but thats just daft craig Razz

They look nicer, but it depends if you think it is worth the chance of being pulled for it Confused

Couger
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:11 - 02 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the tips guys,

I think I'm gonna get one, just not something stupidly small. I'm also thinking of getting an iridium visor for my shoei lid, or a dark visor, advisable you reckon?

Cheers,
Cougs.

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 16:13 - 02 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

the iridium visors are very very good....they are worth every penny Razz

ive had one on my arai for about 6 months now........best thing i ever did Razz takes the sun off your eyes (obviously) but on long trips it also takes the straighn away from your eyes Smile my advice GET ONE!!!

best place www.thevisorshop.com[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Couger
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:32 - 02 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Craig,

I guess its too much to ask for that they are legel eh?

Cougs

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 16:49 - 02 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty anti-little plates.
I really don't see the point. They don't look any better, they draw attention to you and they're generally pointless.
The plates were designed like they are for a reason.
Imagine if someone ran over a friend/relative or hit your car/bike and you couldnt report them cuz their plate was too small?

TJ NSR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:52 - 02 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive got a 6" by 2" which is a little too small...

but im currently using a 5" by 6" which is reasonable...!!

tj

roy-lee

PostPosted: 17:10 - 02 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough, But chances are the cops won't do any thing if ya do get knocked off. I Got knock off my bike 2 years ago by some prick who didnt stop. their was lot of witnesses that got his plate, make of car ect. Cops did nothing, they told me that when they called up the his house he said he was out of the country on that day and his wife was a witness to that. So he got away with it. Turns out he was some high up cop? super-lutenent or some thing like that.

So it gos to show it dosnt mather size your plate is, its who you are????
You must be logged in to rate posts

Doddmaster
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 02 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even on my shitty GN250 I got a smaller plate Laughing

My rear tyre is only a 120-section so I got a slightly undersize one to make the tyre look fatter. It's 8x6 with blue border and slogan but looks loads better than the original

Evilbob
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:21 - 02 Feb 2003    Post subject: number plates Reply with quote

Hummm well i went to halfords on weekend and noticed they did plates and as my one is rapidly lossing letters Embarassed i asked if they could make me one. Anyway long story short they wanted my V5 and ID and o go to watford???

So can u still get small ones made up??? and where. i have the documents but seems alot of effort.

Doddmaster
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:28 - 02 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.run2.net/plates/bikes/

www.malplates.co.uk
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 82 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1