BCF: Bike Chat Forums

visors???

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

raps
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:38 - 03 Feb 2003    Post subject: visors??? Reply with quote

Just a quick question. Are iridium/dark visors road legal?

Im thinking of getting one of them, probably the iridium one, but have heard they arent road legal. Is that the case?

Thx Raps
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wingchunal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:50 - 03 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

There about as legal as small plate's Sad
for this time of the year i would get a dark one not iridium only coz if your not carefull salt/grit on roads scratch's the nice shiney look!

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 18:50 - 03 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, legal visors must let 50% of light through

HOWEVER

ride discovered that you wont be pulled for a dark visor on its own, cos the police have more important stuff to be doing which makes sense

just dont wear them at night, in the rain, on a dark day when you dont need them

if you have a loud can, small plate, bald tyres, and are riding like a twat then the dark visor is just another thing for them to pick you up for, so no they arent legal, but you wont get in trouble for wearing them as long as you are sensible

and the more people who use them sensibly the greater the chance we have of gettin them legalised
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:07 - 03 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

as above, they are not legal.

I would say a small plate is more illegal than a visor though, cos an untrained monkey can spot a small plate

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 19:10 - 03 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

never saw the point of a small plate myself, reckon it looks better if everyone has the same size plate

i wont deny bikes look better without them, but you cant do that, so just deal with it, gettin a small one, doesnt make it disapear
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

Mr Lucky
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:12 - 03 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been pulled for an iridium visor and for no other reason...

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 19:14 - 03 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

obviously depends on the officer, but i think police attitudes (at least in some areas) have changed, dunno though

RiDe has some stuff about it in this months issue

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 19:15 - 03 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Lucky wrote:

Maybe we should change your name to Mr Unlucky Laughing

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 19:17 - 03 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive been pulled for my uridium visor for no reason as well...although nouthing was done about it, i just think they were bored
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr Lucky
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:27 - 03 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

PsychoHippy wrote:
Mr Lucky wrote:

Maybe we should change your name to Mr Unlucky Laughing

Not at all, Wink Cool I got pulled while I was following an unmarked blue Volvo through Ponteland.

Tootleing along wondering why he thought he was invisible considering his car had 48 airials, a camera mounted fore of the rear view mirror and obvious large tissue box on the rear parcel shelf he clocked me clocking him in his rear view mirror and promptly put on all flashy bits to impress me.

"I have stopped you because it is apparent to me you are using a visor which contravenes current road construction and use regulations."

Ok.

"But seeing as it is sunny today lets use a bit of common sense, Give me your helmet and lets have a look through the visor."
"Put it on if you want"
"No thanks I might catch something" (Cheeky twat!)" Oooh thats not too bad is it, not bad at all!"
"Yes I know, it helps alot in sunny conditions"

He had a ZXR750 and he said a common sense approat was needed with visors, Time place etc etc.

Couldn't guarantee me that I wouldn't get stopped again in the same journey by another officer and that I may still get done.

He was totally clued up about the regs and BSI stamp too...

muppet_ninja
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:15 - 03 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visors !!!

you mean to say the police see anything other than the back of your bike ?? I hope not Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 88 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1