Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Supermoto for me??

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

Reevo8
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:00 - 28 Aug 2005    Post subject: Supermoto for me?? Reply with quote

Right, I have been knocked off of a cbr600rr, and need a new bike when I am fixed! Question is should I go for a Smoto? I have had the cbr6rr for 6k miles and 4months, due to visiting people and from bike show type things. When de rezzed every morning on the way to work would see me hitting extremely high speeds e.g 167mph a lot of mornings. And 161mph with a mate on!

I am restricted to 33bhp legally, and was except for my trackday, all was replaced 2 days later.

But a supermoto could be a licence saver!! Something like an R30.

Remembering I have work 18 miles away most of a week.

I would like an SM to practice wheelies on etc in my spare time without it becoming soo easy to waste my licence at high speed!

Thing is I also like the track day! would it be worth getting a shabby 600 to practice the wheelies etc on, an also for the track? Or would I just forget about that and practice the wheelies?

How much would insurance cost me? Bearing in mind it is £1300 for a sports 6 as before!

Cheers in advance!

Reevo8
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 28 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and insurance wise I am 18 with 2yr no claims!!

knockout_bar
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:47 - 28 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sammyboy wrote:
Oh, and insurance wise I am 18 with 2yr no claims!!

You can get online quotes so you can check how much it would be with different bikes without actually commiting to anything.

I would recommend going with a 400cc SM. They aren't too big but they still pack a mean punch.

Have you looked at the XR400? Honda engines are generally bomb proof and take a huge amount of punishment to break. I wouldn't really fancy opening one of those up tho Laughing .

The DR400 is a nice bike. Like the XR, but has rad scoops so it looks a bit nicer.

Korn has a real purdy Yammy YZ450 (I think) SM, that would be like the holy grail, but the problem is that competition bikes need a lot of TLC. They are tuned for maximum power, and can be quite dangerous if you don't know what your doing (not that you don't, but competition bikes are a LOT different to road bikes).

A nice 400cc would bring the front wheel off the ground in 3rd and still have plenty of gearage left for cruising at 70mph.

Have a look around and good luck bro!

"egg flied lice" - R6jonny (inspired by McGee) Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Reevo8
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:57 - 28 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta for the above comments and insight. Was extremely interested in a bike like Korns when I started this thread, so I searched on ebay with no luck! I do realise they need TLC hense why I might buy a shitty little 125cc moped for to and from work, up until test is passed for car driving!

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 12:44 - 29 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're after something that you will commute on and need to be fairly reliable, count the competition bikes right out! You're talking oil changes on average every 100 miles or so and regular top end rebuilds...

Saying that though if you're only after a weekend toy, go for it. You just have to be prepared to look after them... not necessarily expensive if you do most of the work yourself, and fairly easy to work on too.

Kaben
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 29 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look in this months TWO magazine. They have a supermoto roadtest with a whole bunch of supermoto's in it. Will give Insurance groups as well as info on price, suitability to a commute etc..........id reccomend you check it out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

llordvenger
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:40 - 30 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

£1300 for insurance ?

Thought I was paying loads at £633 for my R30.

As for your initial question, CCM's are great IMO just the older they are, the worse the build quality tends to be.

Reevo8
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:36 - 30 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

llordvenger wrote:
£1300 for insurance ?

Thought I was paying loads at £633 for my R30.

As for your initial question, CCM's are great IMO just the older they are, the worse the build quality tends to be.

Are you 18 too then? I wouldnt mind an R30 if insurance is that much cheaper than the 6rr!

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 22:30 - 30 Aug 2005    Post subject: Re: Supermoto for me?? Reply with quote

Sammyboy wrote:
Thing is I also like the track day! would it be worth getting a shabby 600 to practice the wheelies etc on, an also for the track? Or would I just forget about that and practice the wheelies?

lol you remind me of that spanish waiter bloke from Falty Towers

"the wheelies" "the trackday"

"I lika tha trackdays"

Laughing

Reevo8
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:40 - 31 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Yams, it is kinda hard to type while in a cast on 1 hand/forearm!

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 06:25 - 31 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sammyboy wrote:
Sorry Yams, it is kinda hard to type while in a cast on 1 hand/forearm!

You broke your arm?

Reevo8
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 31 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finger and shoulder. Finger is broken and dislocated so it has been wired and pinned! Shoulder is a break at the collar bone/shoulder joint!

Its due to an accident that has written off the RR. Hense the want of an Smoto! Cos I wanna practice the wheelies!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 240 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1