Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Supermoto riding technique

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kaben
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 11 Aug 2005    Post subject: Supermoto riding technique Reply with quote

I am looking at getting a KTM 950 supermoto once i have passed my test/become confident on the fazer 600 (so not for a long while yet lol Embarassed ).
Looking at magazines etc, it seems there is a different technique to riding supermoto's than on "usual" roadbikes --I.e people stick their feet out round corners. Is this because of the height of the bike? Or can they still be ridden normally, with knees being lent out? or is it combination of the two??
Its just that, sticking your foot out at speeds seems a little unsafe to me, and would probably grab some unwanted attention quite rapidly??

Hope one of you supermoto riders can clear this up for me,

Kaben Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kaben
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 11 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.motoplanete.com/ktm/950-supermoto.php

This is the 950 supermoto, tis a little larger than your average one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 22:48 - 11 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ride it however you feel most comfortable.

Leg out and stuff is mostly for track or faster road riding, it does feel more stable even around town and stuff but it's not /neccessary/ on the road (or track at times to be honest, but leaving your foot on the peg can trap it between engine and tarmac!)

Kaben
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:56 - 11 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

how come it (your foot) can get trapped on a 'moto and not on other bikes? Also just thinking what boots i would need you see.....

Aikman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:20 - 12 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i suppose the sticking the leg out gives more stability when cornering, youve got to remember that supermoto's have alot smaller
wheelbases than sports bike, so cannot keep traction when being leant over, mostly because you simply cant lean over off road, nomatter how wide your tyres. Scince supermoto's evolved from offroad bikes, i could assume this is just a side affect. I dont suppose you "need" to stick your leg down, but it would be more stable. As for your boot getting stuck, thats bs, it can just as easily get stuck in a sports bike, the only difference being is that a supermoto hasnt got fairing covering the main body of the bike so you could get cought in all of the parts that fairing would usually cover.

Last edited by Aikman666 on 00:25 - 14 Aug 2005; edited 1 time in total

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 07:02 - 12 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aikman666 wrote:
i suppose the sticking the leg out gives more stability when cornering, youve got to remember that supermoto's have alot smalled wheelbases than sports bike, so cannot keep traction when being leant over, mostly because you simply cant lean over off road, nomatter how wide your tyres. Scince supermoto's evolved from offroad bikes, i could assume this is just a side affect. I dont suppose you "need" to stick your leg down, but it would be more stable. As for your boot getting stuck, thats bs, it can just as easily get stuck in a sports bike, the only difference being is that a supermoto hasnt got fairing covering the main body of the bike so you could get cought in all of the parts that fairing would usually cover.

Ever ridden on track on a supermoto?

No?? shut up then Laughing

SM's lean a lot further than sports bikes, when the peg touches down on a moto you really can't have your foot on the peg else you'll fall off Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes (usually anyway) when the peg touches down it folds up, if your foot is on that peg it hurts. You probably can get the peg down with your foot on it if you try but you're asking to fall off really...

Just remember supermoto is VERY different to MX and sportsbikes..

For instance:

https://www.supermoto-online.de/images/mailings/vdb.jpg

There's no way you'd keep your foot on that peg.

Kaben
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 12 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, well that picture told pretty much the whole story lol. cheers for the replies guys.

So for on-road use, would you suggest Mx-boots or "normal" ones?
The MX-boots dont have toe sliders for instance, but have strange metal edging on the front of the boot and the heel.

Really have no clue tbh...and its not a matter of which is more comfortable.....they are all uncomfortable with my gigantic feet lol Embarassed

philcxiv
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:24 - 12 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I have much experience but did do motocross. The idea was to try and keep vertical as possible but let the bike lean over. When on the road puting your leg out is maybe not necssary apart when its tight turns. When you do thou for good grip the foot that is still on the peg apply you weight to it. Just something I was told and did when I had my crosser.

That bike looks great aswell Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

palmer
Fiddled Kiddy

PostPosted: 13:33 - 13 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a BIG bike kaben. you would be able to ride that like a normal bike i should think Thumbs Up

Aikman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:05 - 13 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, i was getting confused with offroad bikes there Laughing
But i dont care what they say, you CANNOT lean when your doing offroading, or at least you couldent with my bike Laughing Its quite fun hitting the ground and watching your bike slide along beside you though! Trust me! ive been there!

Kaben
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:04 - 13 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

been looking through the net, and these sidi boots look ace. Bloody expensive though Confused but as they have replaceable soles, maybe worth it Question Possibly a bit long for road use also....

https://www.motonation.com/supermotosolesystem.htm

philcxiv
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:21 - 13 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Space boots. Wouldnt pay that for boots, any boot that offers ankle support and protection is efficient. If you get crosser boots with the metal bit at front its great for some sparks, wear quick thou.

EDIT: saw it wrong, price aint too bad.
spent that on my mx boots.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 23:43 - 13 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aikman666 wrote:
But i dont care what they say, you CANNOT lean when your doing offroading

Ummm Thinking

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 00:21 - 14 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err, that's a berm dude.

Or to put it another way extreme positive camber. You can get pretty damn near horizontal on a big berm, but in relation to the surface you're not really leaning at all, same principle as the "wall of death". On level dirt you want to keep your body as upright as possible, lean the bike under you and use the throttle and your weight to control the bike sliding, with your foot ready to stamp yourself back upright if you really lose it.

Example on level ground: https://www.kornel.com/gallery/albums/Slough/P1010046.jpg

Aikman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:24 - 14 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

What korn is saying is exactly what i meant!

goony
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:02 - 22 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to supermoto section there some good video on there https://www.redbullcopilot.com/

Kaben
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:26 - 23 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

man,that site is cool,cheers! Thumbs Up

llordvenger
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:58 - 30 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sticking your leg out while high speed cornering can be useful, as pointed out, you will not trap your foot on the ride surface.

It is also very helpful I find for transfering your body weight around to manouvre the machine, far more movable than a road-racer.

Think BMX with engine Very Happy

Spike_R
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 02:57 - 05 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i always thought it was for the same reason that someone on a sports bike would put there knee down.

its to make a 'stop point' where you dont want to lean the bike any further isnt it? ... as you cant really get your knee down on an SM on the roads.. (ive tried every day for months before) and closest i got was about 4 inches ... that was so close i nearly lost it so i gave up on that.

personaly my MX boots have got a big wedge shape at the back, i need some new ones with metal rears.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:20 - 05 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really helpful, but I would't really consider that KTM 950 a 'supermoto' - it weighs almost twice as much as Korn's one I suspect!

Ok, it's a bit lighter than some of the other big trail style bikes, but I can't see it being that great for most 'supermoto' applications.
How about 'lardymoto' Smile. Weight is going to be similar to a lot of other big v-twins and more than the top sports bikes.

On the road, you don't really need to change your riding style I would have said - if you're riding to the point your pegs go down on the road, then you're probably gonna hurt yourself anyway the first time you find a pothole Smile.
I have found sticking my foot out feels more 'comfortable' when leaning sometimes and has saved a few slides (intentional and not).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 228 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1