Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

33bhp Enduro/Trail Bike Recommendations

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

NS125RK
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:17 - 19 May 2005    Post subject: 33bhp Enduro/Trail Bike Recommendations Reply with quote

As the title says can anyone recommend any good 33bhp enduro/trail bikes. I've never really looked into these before but since i've got the worst possible luck you could imagine I will most likely be keeping to the restrictions for the 2 years after I pass my test, which is on the 9th June.

The reason behind me looking is that I could just go out and get a 400/600 sports or naked bike and have them restricted but then I would have a 160kg+ bike only putting out 33bhp which I can't see being much quicker than my NSR although it only puts out about 20bhp (yes that figure was just pulled out of thin air) its only 110kg.

Looking at the manufactures web site I can get enduro/trail bikes that could put out 27-40bhp (looking at 4 strokes) but would only weigh about 130kg (I know thats for 250's but the larger capacitys bikes are still lighter)

I'm looking at spending about £1500-£2000 for the bike and was wondering what I could get for that type of money.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

KevTM
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 19 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR350SE

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:26 - 19 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your budget gives you a good range of choice for a bike, but there arent that many 33bhp enduro machines.

The best suited one would probably be the Suzuki DR350. A big, reliable and quite nippy bike designed for the 33bhp market, (I believe its bang on 33bhp as standard.) Personally, I think they look great and are fairly cheap, ranging from around £800 for something older to about £2000 for something in great condition. A quick eBay search found this. Just gives you an idea of what they're like if you dont know already. Also found this one which is in that better condition. Would definitely suit road use and off road fun due to having such a decent power plant. Thumbs Up

Only other one I can think of is the Honda XR250. Not quite sure what sort of power its putting out, but I believe its around the range of 30bhp. Gorgeous machines but that bit more expensive than the older DR350. Again, very reliable and would suit all kinds of use.

I'm sure others will have more information, but thats all I can think of for now. Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:27 - 19 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, DR350. Actually slightly under 33bhp as standard so you can tune it a wee bit too if you want to.

Remember there is a power:weight restriction on the restricted licences too. For example, you can't ride a 1970's suzuki GT250X7, nowhere near the 33bhp but weighs feck all. (for that matter, I don't think you are allowed a full power NSR125 either for the same reason).

Quote:
A full standard category A licence permits you ride any motorcycle with a power output of up to 25kW (33bhp) and a power-to-weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg

From the DVLA website

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 19 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far as i know most KTM's come restricted to high 20's, low 30's bhp when standard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NS125RK
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:46 - 19 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a look at a lot of the bikes currently available on the manufacture's web sites but all I really can go off is the specifications.

I was actually looking at the dr350 but I think it stated it put out about 40bhp which put me off as ideally I don't want to start messing around with the bikes setup, but that could just be dodgy sources or me just getting mixed up.

I was also looking at the klr250 which from memory said it put out about 27bhp and only weighed about 120kg.

I did realise that there was a power to weight ratio restriction aswell but have only realised that it will actually affect what bike i'll choose. I always thought it just stopped you getting a ridiculous racing bike along the lines of gp 125cc weighing only 80kgs.

KevTM
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 19 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

my dad had 2 KLR250's, old ones mind aouy and he loved them, put his mates Tenere to shame in every respect, that much so his mate sold it and bought a KLR250...

i had a shot of it once and the torque is something else, not a slow machine and very light! Thumbs Up

bish777
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:37 - 19 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha seerow 225?

Mik_RX125
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:46 - 19 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, but my bike gives out roughly 34bhp, and is for sale. It's an Aprilia RX125 1995, see ==> https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=48093

But you would have to wait a week as it needs a new powervalve.

Mik

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:02 - 19 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at this range of bikes for after my test and I was going to go for one of the following:

Kawasaki KLR 250
Honda XR 250
Suzuki DR 350

They all come in under the 33bhp restriction (if my memory serves correctly Confused ).

In the end I got a Kawasaki KLR600 and restricted it because my dad managed to get it for a nice price (cheaper than all the other bikes I was looking at) and I was going to keep this bike for a long time anyway so after 2 years I can just derestrict it instead of upgrading.

Last edited by KLR600 on 22:28 - 19 May 2005; edited 1 time in total

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:34 - 19 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The older DR350s at least were listed at 33hp.

There was a few cagivas (trail and not) that were also listed as around that.

If you are looking for a general road bike then an enduro is a good start. Personally I would shy away from the tuned two strokes; they are good fun, but if you can have the same peak power and a lot more low down power in a similar weight chassis you mmight as well for road use. Might make it a bit more 'boring', but will mean you can be lazier when riding if you want.

NS125RK
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:45 - 19 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer mik but i'm going to stay away from a 2 stroke, looking at engine rebuilds as general maintenance just isn't wright and hopefully if money allows i'll probably keep my NSR just to learn general bike mechanics on.

Bish i'll have to look into that seerow, i've not heard of them before.

bessa27
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:40 - 03 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion? KLX300.....strong and easy conductly..........exelent moto

WalkeruK88
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:06 - 31 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeV6 wrote:
my dad had 2 KLR250's, old ones mind aouy and he loved them, put his mates Tenere to shame in every respect, that much so his mate sold it and bought a KLR250...

i had a shot of it once and the torque is something else, not a slow machine and very light! Thumbs Up

whatever you do do not buy that bike get a DR 350 OR TTR 250 or even an xr 250 their around 20-25 bhp depending on model and tuning / exhaust ports.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 09 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The KLR will do 90mph, 70mpg, and manages 16sec 1/4miles. The top speed is about the same as my KMX200, but it does nearly double the mpg!
For that money, it's hard to beat. The KLX300 would be great for nearly all off road, but its too high, narrow hard seat etc like any MX bike really, to be any good on the road. The DR350 is good, but the old Yamaha XT350 is still a great bike, and faster than the DR in full 31bhp form.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 227 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1