Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anyone know the difference between the XR250 and XLR250?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 25 Sep 2005    Post subject: Anyone know the difference between the XR250 and XLR250? Reply with quote

I'm finding the world of MX and Supermoto pretty addictive (feel like Nicholas Cage in 8MM Razz ). However, certain things confuse me:

Does anyone know the difference between a Honda XR250 and XLR250: is it just that the XLR is the full-on road going version or will I be missing some bhp going for the XLR?

I figure Talon hubs/Excel rims are the decent way to 'change' your bike into a supermoto but is there a cheaper alternative I can use to get started?

Likewise, how much will I be looking at to upgrade the front brake?

Are different makes of rim inter-changable?

[anyone keeping track? I didn't get the KDX 250, I was outbid Crying or Very sad ]

Many thanks Thumbs Up
Phil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 18:33 - 25 Sep 2005    Post subject: Re: Anyone know the difference between the XR250 and XLR250? Reply with quote

byke95 wrote:
Does anyone know the difference between a Honda XR250 and XLR250: is it just that the XLR is the full-on road going version or will I be missing some bhp going for the XLR?

The XR is the enduro race one and the XLR is the road going one, as far as I know the motors are pretty much identical (maybe camshaft, gear ratios) and the only real differences are road-going bits like ignition, proper lights/indicators and taller gearing on the L model.

byke95 wrote:
I figure Talon hubs/Excel rims are the decent way to 'change' your bike into a supermoto but is there a cheaper alternative I can use to get started?

Buy one that somebody else has already converted! Laughing

Apart from that you're stuck, it's quite expensive to buy all the conversion bits brand new...

byke95 wrote:
Likewise, how much will I be looking at to upgrade the front brake?

You will need a sportsbike-sized disc on the supermoto front wheel. From there it's either a case of getting a bracket to move the original caliper out to work with this new disk (cheaper option) or going the whole hog and getting a beefier caliper and/or master cylinder. Depending on how good the original offroad brake setup was you will probably be fine with just using a caliper spacer.

byke95 wrote:
Are different makes of rim inter-changable?

Not a straight swap, but you can have various rims laced up to various hubs if that's what you meant?

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 25 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not a straight swap, but you can have various rims laced up to various hubs if that's what you meant?

I was thinking about buying wheels with tyres on off Ebay, do I have to wait until a XLR comes across or can I buy from a different manufaturer (just a case of spacers?)

Quote:
Buy one that somebody else has already converted!

I was hoping to but Moto'd 250's are not easy to come buy, here's the XLR:

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-XLR250R-Enduro-Offroad-Bike-XLR-XR-XLR250-XR250_W0QQitemZ4575908466QQcategoryZ9806QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There's also this one, but I'm a bit worried that the maintanace it'll need is beyond my skills:

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-CR250-SuperMoto-Road-Legal_W0QQitemZ4577007074QQcategoryZ9806QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for taking the time to answer Korn, much appreciated!

Phil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 26 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.. a reasonable size 2 stroke may cause hassle, but provided you look after it properly there is no reason to not buy it on those grounds. The XR250 is obviously a four stroke and may be easier to live with, more accessible power, less gear changes etc. As you can see on this forum Korn has recently rebuilt his XR250, so they are not totally bullet proof and (like all bikes) eventually need work. (which incidentally is often more expensive on 4 strokes)

As Korn has said, to buy all the conversion parts seperately and new is expensive, it is worth waiting for a ready moto'd one to come up even if you are left waiting a while.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:05 - 26 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, why supermoto an XR250? Doesn't seem very, well, 'super' Smile.

Even my DR600 with trail wheels and road biased tyres could get some pretty impressive levels of lean without the need for sticky road rubber on 17" rims.

Also, have you considered what the widest rear tyre a XR250 can take?

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 20:06 - 26 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have licence issues the XR400 would be a better choice for a supermoto, you're unlikely to find many 250's that have been converted whereas the 400 is a popular one.

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 26 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice and help guys. I'm coming round to the idea of going for a 400 that has been moto'd already (my budget has completely gone out of the wondow!)

I'm even considering the CCM 604...where will I be able to get the Rotrax engines serviced?

Thanks again! Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 187 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1