Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

1971 Honda cb750 idles & runs rough up to 3-3,500 rpm

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

gwminor48
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 01:02 - 29 Sep 2005    Post subject: 1971 Honda cb750 idles & runs rough up to 3-3,500 rpm Reply with quote

This bike seems to have the electronic type points. It idles & runs rough until about 3,500 rpm & then it runs great. It makes it tough starting from a stopped position. Does this sound like a timing problem? It also makes a noise at idle which they thought was the timing chain where I bought it. I tried adjusting the tension on it it per the Honda & Clymer methods but it hasn't seemed to help. I was trying to adjust the timing from the points when it died and the old battery wouldn't restart so I need to replace the battery. I may be in for more work than I thought. It has 42,00 miles (if that is the correct reading), I bought it a month ago.

Thanks,
George

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:20 - 29 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try changeing your air filter and spark plugs, both these could cause crappy idleing, otherwise (this one is more likely but more hassle hence try it second) its the carbs, if its been stood for a while they might need cleaning, take them off and give then a good clean out (idle jets especially).

Good luck Wink (cool bike by the way Thumbs Up)

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 13:02 - 29 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

An idea would be to check/renew your HT leads and plug caps. I'm thinking if it's a problem at low revs (therefore low alternator output) if the leads are breaking down this will cause a problem for the current. At higher revs you get higher current and therefore it can 'jump' over any breaks.

Always a good idea to do a mini service (oil, filters, plugs) on a new to you bike as then you know it's done and can arrange for it to be redone from that date/mileage. Also a good idea to replace leads every 2-3 years (although that may be me being cautious). If you don't know when the last time this was done it might be an idea to include with the service.

Just a few thoughs Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 29 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Mr Z,clean the carb, it's the first and cheapest option, as in free, could well be the idle circuit part of the carb then it picks up when it comes onto the main.
Does the noise go when you pull the clutch in? if so just clutch rattle, no great problem.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:36 - 29 Sep 2005    Post subject: Re: 1971 Honda cb750 idles & runs rough up to 3-3,500 rp Reply with quote

gwminor48 wrote:
This bike seems to have the electronic type points.

So does this mean it has points that open and close, or an aftermarket electronic ignition. If it is the latter, your coils, plug leads and battery need to be in tip top condition for it to work right (especially if it is a boyer microdigital).

On standard points, if the timing was a bit too far advanced, it would be a bastard to start and rough at idle. Should be easy enough to check the static timing, you should also see the auto-advance flying out if you rev the bike up whilst looking at it, not that I have ever heard of an auto-advance unit failing.

Also worth checking it is firing on all four at low revs, might be dropping a cylinder or two?

Carb balancing may also be a good idea. Unbalanced carbs can cause a very vibey and uneccessarily high idle speed.

I presume it has the proper airbox? Those bikes are renowned for not liking aftermarket pod filters (which everyone fits when they find they can't get the airbox rubbers back on).

gwminor48
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:36 - 30 Sep 2005    Post subject: Thanks for your replies! Reply with quote

I really, really appreciate your replies, I think you are all onto something. I got the bike started again and fooled around with the timing and it was running (not idling) really good for awhile (10 minutes. It got worse but not nearly as bad as yesterday. The difference is it was 103 degrees yesterday (I live around Dallas, Tx) and 73 degrees today. When I got the bike the plug wires were in terrible shape and it seems you have to replace the coils too unless you are really inventive, so I bought coils with wires in pretty good shape from a wrecking yard type place. I also replaced the plugs and changed the oil and filter and clean the fuel screen in the petcock. I haven't changed the air filter. The container for the filter says cb750f (which it is not), so I'm not sure about the filter. The points are after market, what looks like the points are entirely covered in rubber. So I'm thinking that since it worsens once it warms up maybe it is in the carbs. Also, once I adjusted the cam chain per Clymer with the cam in the right place the noise seems to have quieted down. Thanks so much for your help guys!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 216 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1