Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How do I corner?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

M1ke
Ped Boi

PostPosted: 00:19 - 26 Sep 2005    Post subject: How do I corner? Reply with quote

Ok, i'm confused. I've just sold the sports bike which I was just starting to get good on and bought a supermoto. I have only just realised after buying it that I have no idea how to ride it at all.

Whats with all this foot out and hang off the oposite side of the bike business? Do I need to forget everything that I learnt about cornering on a sports bike? Is it wrong to lean into the bend in order to give your bike a better centre of gravity etc?

Someone explain to me how I take corners correctly now please!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 00:38 - 26 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lad, what bike did you get? Smile

Forget the hang-off-to-the-inside kneedown business, you want to be leaning your body so that your weight is off to the outside of the corner - but only slightly, not nearly as much as you would hang off a sportsbike - otherwise on a tall light bike you will just flop over. The foot hanging out replaces the knee going down, hover it above the ground with your heel closest to the floor and your toes pointing through the corner. If you get a small slide a quick *stamp* on the floor should have it corrected.

Hopefully after a bit of practice some of this will start to make sense. I had a hard time adjusting to SM riding style, but after a while it tends to start making sense...

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 00:48 - 26 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bastards!

Don't give him any advice, I was enjoying owning him!

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 01:09 - 26 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun wrote:
Don't give him any advice, I was enjoying owning him!

Why not come to the dark side then? It really is a revelation in how to ride a bike... Razz

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 07:34 - 26 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I can't afford and it isn't practical to rebuild my engine every 30 hours? Razz

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 08:45 - 26 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sit forward, outside knee pushed into tank, outside foot (as in, if turning right, then your left foot..) push on the peg, push it away from you and then counter-steer the corner.. I can't explain it very well but that's how it's done, after my racer mates taught me it on a track day it improved my lap times immensely. Bike feels a lot more confident if you weight the outside peg too, and foot out definetly feels more stable/able to save it if you slide...

M1ke
Ped Boi

PostPosted: 16:22 - 26 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a husky TE410, came with both sets of wheels Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sharrison
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:20 - 28 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't ridden Supermoto, although motocross has some similarities of course.

I guess on the flat corners without a burm, I lay the bike down and opposite my weight to keep center over the back wheel. The leg high out front is a natural support to that.

It's if a left hander for example, my right shoulder goes high and I almost push my left hand down and away -- in fact if you've got enough power on, the wheel comes up and can turn the opposite way to the corner at which point you're turning using just the rear wheel - that ends up a fast and effective corner.

Opposite if you've got a a nice decent burm - you get your weight right up front and lean into the turn, enjoying the burm keeping the rear from kicking out - then power out hard and fast! Mr. Green

Rift.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:20 - 30 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

So would you "stick your foot out for all corners"?

I tend to keep my foot in and only stick it out on fast corners

It always feels odd when sticking your foot out, it goes all dangly and doesnt feel very stable.

Section59
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:02 - 30 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rift. wrote:
So would you "stick your foot out for all corners"?

I tend to keep my foot in and only stick it out on fast corners

It always feels odd when sticking your foot out, it goes all dangly and doesnt feel very stable.

If you can go round the corner, without having to stick your foot out, you're not going fast enough. Laughing

After riding offroad for most of my biking "career", sticking my foot out, is now about as natural as sticking the knee out on the road for most people here.

You get used to it, and it just becomes instinct to stick it out..

Sharrison
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:51 - 01 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's true - it becomes habbit. One of my mates keeps sticking his leg out on his road bike on roundabouts etc. - he laughs about it, but that's how natural it can become - you start doing it without realising!

The only time you can get away with no leg out is in deep enough 'powder' to stop the bike kicking out - Ciaroli demonstrates below with his leg actually swept back...

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 01 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

we've all seen Rossi's foot off the peg at times in MotoGP.

jayluvmito
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:44 - 01 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tend to be heavy on front braking only going into the corner, squats the bike down a bit and stops the front going all over the place. back has a mind of its own tho, left right left and sideways for the corner. strange looks of people tho.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 182 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1