Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Starting motocross

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

mush
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 01:23 - 30 Sep 2005    Post subject: Starting motocross Reply with quote

Hi all im new here so bare with me Smile

I have been riding trials five years and im at expert level now but im thinking of starting motocross, just need to know a few things about it first Exclamation

1. What bike in the region of £1000 will i be able to get Question

2. Any makes to try and avoid Question

3. What kind of maintainece will be needed after every outing Question

4. Since im new to mx what kind of level should i enter at im 17 Question

5. Any tracks around Derby Question

Sharrison
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:02 - 01 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bike you can get for around £1000 depends on cc's, age etc. I'd probably be looking to get maybe a YZ 125 2000 for that kind of money it really does depend.

There are lots of opinions about the bikes, tends to be a view that KTM can be more expensive to run, Suzuk's have probs with gear boxes and front forks don't tend to be good stock, not sure about the down sides to a KX - Honda's are good bikes, (mostly - had friends that have had probs with older ones), although not necessarily as quick as the Yams maybe, (Honda focused on the frame until recent models). To be honest, the best for maintenance, to be quick etc Yams are a good option.

I have a site you might wanna look at if you're gonna seriously start looking for a bike https://www.mxchange.co.uk - might help to give you a feel.

Maintenance depends on how much you wanna take care of the bike really - probably a whole thread on this one.

You should hook up with a local club or find a practice track and make some friends to get you going.

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

philcxiv
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:30 - 02 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest a KX 125. There are the best for beginner's there quick, reliable and can take a bit more abuse and less maintenance.

If your wanting the best 100% KTM. They are the quickest 125's and are a certain full on race bike.

Like mentioned Suzuki's gear boxes are soft and cant take abuse. But if you want a £400 rebuild there the ones for you.

Yams. Well I was 85cc class and was told there were expensive and the slowest, But from what I see the new 4-stroke and 2-stroke's are quick.

Honda's seem to be the most common. They are quick but do need plenty care and attention.

As for general maintenance; Gear oil every three races, clean filter every race, check lube chain every race, wheel spokes become loose so its wise to check often, sprockets depends on use but if the teeth are not pointed change them. Spark plugs just need checked and if there looking poor change them. Coolant, brake fluid e.c.t should be change depending on use but all checks can be found in a owner manual which you will get with a bike.

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 211 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1