Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Rear wheel bearings

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Slinn84
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:49 - 01 Oct 2005    Post subject: Rear wheel bearings Reply with quote

Just changed the tyre on my rear wheel and thought that since the wheel is off i'll give everything a damn good cleaning and check its all in order

took the sprocket cush and damper drive off and the disc off to check the rotation of the bearings and noticed that the inner part of the bearing is very stiff on both sides of the wheel

the metal outer fits tightly into the wheel so no probs there, the middle seals are fine, but the inner metal ring thats supposed to spin with your axle is very stiff, it does turn but not very easily

is this a real problem?? how can i fix this??

any help welcome

cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Slinn84
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:49 - 01 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha Thundercat btw Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:01 - 01 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

New bearings needed by the sound of it - I assume they were bone dry?

Easy job, bearings for less than a tenner from a bearing factor, £20+ from a bike shop Mad

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:02 - 01 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are a bit stiff, the bearing is full of grease which will be fairly solid when cool. Put the wheel back in but leave the calliper off and the bike up on the stand. Now give it a spin. It should spin freely between the forks and there should be no 'grumbling' or grinding noises coming from the bearings (listen carefully). There should be no play from side to side when you wiggle the wheel.

You can usually "feel" any roughness in the bearings as you turn the wheel by hand.

Slinn84
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:35 - 02 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

rear wheel so it dunt fit between forks Razz

the bearing spins round freely, no notches or sticky points, its just very stiff, with the wheel on i can give it a good spin and all i can hear is the pads brushing against the disc, theres no wiggle from side to side or anything

i've only just got the bike back on the road after my old rear tyre got a puncture, so i dont fancy having it set up in my garage again waiting for new bearings to come

cheers guys
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 213 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1