Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Touring bike advice.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Touring & Exploration by Korn (9 Nov 2005 - 18:49)
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 19:41 - 20 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

VFR800 Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Black Knight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 20 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd certainly consider the VFR's pre Vtec or the of those nice BMW RT's.
Where does a turn end? 'Where you can do anything with the gas you want to, where you are brave again, where your attention is free from the turn, where you are sure you can do it better next time; that's the end' - Keith Code.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:51 - 21 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most bikes you'll see in Europe laden with luggage also sport a BMW badge. Perhaps they have a pipe+slippers or white-helmet image in this country, but they're popular in Europe and appear to be the bikes of choice for European touring.

Whilst shaftdrive is obviously attractive, you should not be adjusting your chain tension too often if you use a chainoiler. I would not let this be the main determining factor.

If you're planning to spend 10weeks at it, I would not have thought motorways would play a huge part in your itinery. Go for something that's enjoyable to ride rather than a straight line missile. Virtually any medium to large bike should be able to cruise at 80mph, which will be fast enough if you are not travelling massive distances inbetween stop-offs(but yes, probably a little frustrating if you're planning to do over 500miles in a day).

Comfort, luggage capacity, and enjoyment should be your main determining factors, in my opinion.

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:13 - 21 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just done a few thousand on my VFR800. They do the job, I can say that I have done no maintenance to it the whole journey. No chain tightening or oiling. Its been fine. The chain needs a look at now, but other than that the bike is the one thing not to go wrong.

That said, it is a bit forward for my liking. Fine for now, but as I get older, I think I'll need an upright bike. Anything recent, with a reliable motor will do you. Check first that your pillion is comfy, that is the most difficult thing to find on a bike IMHO.

The list you've got seems to have covered all the right bikes. I would add that any bike will do it, but some are more suited (Big Honda and certainly BMW). If you steer clear of smaller bikes (their reliability/quality is always lacking) you will be fine.

My favourite bike for touring, from what I have tried, is probably still a blackbird. The VFR is certainly my favourite all-rounder (commuting and distance).

EDIT: I haven't ridden any BMWs yet, so I presume they would be better?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

innominate
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:33 - 04 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.
Got the new bike already. (Me + cash is a dangerous combination)

Saw an FJR 1300 that I could just not resist.
Yammy panniers, top box & heated grips included.
Meta alarm system.

'01 (none ABS) version, absolutely mint condition, black.
6200 miles on the clock. Picked up for £4500 cash.

I think thats a reasonable price to pay. What do you guys think?
Although I don't care even if I paid over the odds. I am loving the beast on the few small rides I have been out on.

/chuffed
inno
I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coast-guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable.

kev19
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:38 - 04 Oct 2005    Post subject: Re: Touring bike advice. Reply with quote

innominate wrote:
Me and the Girlf are planning a big Europe tour in about 2 years time.
Will need to buy a new bike to do this (it could be a little slow + uncomfy on my current cb500) & to commute me to work in the mean time, 250 miles a week.

Would be looking at a max price of around £5000.

Could people reccomend me some bikes to look into.
Must be comfy enough for 10 weeks or so of travel with enough luggage space for 2 people & a tent. Also would have to be reliable, so thinking >5 years old.

Triumph Trophy 1200 is the only one I have seen so far that fits the price.

Thanks for any replys.
inno

get a car? Laughing

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 12:58 - 04 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

innominate wrote:
...FJR 1300...panniers, top box & heated grips...Meta alarm...'01 (none ABS) version, absolutely mint condition, black. 6200 miles on the clock. Picked up for £4500 cash....What do you guys think?

After looking around the price appears to be in the right ballpark. In fact looking at prices on the MCN site I'd say bargain Thumbs Up

Hope you enjoy Very Happy

ZZR Girl
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:08 - 04 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

innominate wrote:
Well.
Got the new bike already. (Me + cash is a dangerous combination)

Saw an FJR 1300 that I could just not resist.
Yammy panniers, top box & heated grips included.
Meta alarm system.

'01 (none ABS) version, absolutely mint condition, black.
6200 miles on the clock. Picked up for £4500 cash.

I think thats a reasonable price to pay. What do you guys think?
Although I don't care even if I paid over the odds. I am loving the beast on the few small rides I have been out on.

/chuffed
inno

It's a smashing bike. That was one of my suggestions, I think. Post a pic!

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 14:55 - 04 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

everyone seems to be talking about VFRs and the like.

my old man did a trip from here (dubai, UAE) back to UK covering 14,000 kms total distance all on a 1997 BMW F650 and the only thing that went wrong was the cut off switch that engages when the stand is down (a kind of safety/warning thing) in short these bikes are f*$#@ng bullet proof and don't cost a shag load of money so i'd go with one of these...my dad regrets selling it on to his brother now Laughing

chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 202 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2