Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Touring

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Touring & Exploration by Korn (9 Nov 2005 - 18:50)
View previous topic : View next topic  

nick.h
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 16 Oct 2005    Post subject: Touring Reply with quote

Just found out from my dad that he wants us to go abroad on the gs500 in a week. At first he thought spain, as a good mate currently lives out there, but now it looks more likely to be france.

This will be this first time (i think) for us both to do anything like this, so any advice would be welcome.

Not sure yet if we are going to be following a route, or just going wherever the roads take us, as we dont have our own luggage, my dad has already asked a mate to borrow a top box/rack and tank bag. i will most likely have a backpack too.

Anywhere do you recommend that we go? roads/places?
Any helpful tips, what we should take (except for the obvious)?

I remember seeing a site about motorbike touring once anyone remember it?

Cheers, Nick
[Italjet MM5A] ll [Rieju RS1 Evolution] ll [Suzuki GS500e] ll [Suzuki GSX600F] ll [Honda CG125] ll [Pug Elyseo 125] ll [Yamaha YZF750R] ll [Yamaha Thunderace] ll [Yamaha R6] ll [Triumph 955i] ll [Hayabusa RZK3] ll [Suzuki RGV250] ll
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:11 - 16 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tie something flappy and annoying round your right wrist/handlebar to remind you to ride on that side of the road.

Oh, and French people drive cars like Kamikaze fly aeroplanes (count the dents in some of the cars when you get over there!).

musclebiker
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:12 - 16 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

switzerland through the alpine passes is a MUST Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

musclebiker
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:13 - 16 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh, and French people drive cars like Kamikaze fly aeroplanes

yes i have numerous cracks in my fairing and a broken indicator as proof of this.. Sad

beware..

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:28 - 16 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow Keep your documents and cash in ur toasties, you're gonna notice if it goes missing from next to your manhood
Arrow Plan for every little contingency, if you ever think "nah, don't think i'll need that" it'll be the first damn thing you need in an emergency.
Arrow Fold a towel and shove it down the back of your pants, help pad things out and add a bit of comfort.
Arrow Slacken your straps on your back pack so it just rests on your top box without coming off your shoulders, helps prevent the pain setting in.
Arrow Make sure you get drunk, and have a blast of a time, and if you can get access to a computer over there, give us a little insight into your trip Very Happy

Jack

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 16 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have much storage space then take as little as possible: Minimal clothing, waterproofs, some tools, an alarm clock, maps, and your wallet. Make sure you inform both your bank and your insurance company. Get several photocopys of all your documents. If you don't already ride with earplugs in, you will want to do so for this trip(or at least your dad will, since you're out of the windblast a bit).

The GS500 is about the most common bike there is in both France and Spain, but one with a GB number plate should earn you some looks Thumbs Up

The French roads are shite and I find the suggestion that they be the main draw of your trip laughable. The Pyranees are great, and I'm sure the Alps would be as well. Spain is full of fantastic mountainous roads. If you want to ride around Spain, the ferry direct to Santander probably works out the same price as riding down through France when you factor in petrol/accomodation/food. I can perhaps reccommend some roads in Spain if you decide that's where you're going - Read the writeup linked in my sig for an idea of what it's like.

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 23:22 - 16 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey nath,

can you recomend any decent top boxs my mate want one for his bandit im no expert ???

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 16 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Givi are probably the most popular, and seem to be decent quality. Not too clued up on the alternatives tho...

Jack

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 23:31 - 16 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well he wants it cause he works 40+ miles from home and his back is bothering him from wearing a back pack full of his uniform and crap. How much wieght can they take.

philb
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:43 - 16 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

luggage =go for givi they are very good quality and 100% waterproof (p.s. i have top box and panniers for sale Laughing )

if your doing France beware of running out of petrol, lots of petrol stations are closed on a weekend 24 hour ones are pay by credit card (french only)

overnight stay = try formula one hotels (www.hotelformule1.com) ... cheap and very clean about £18 per night for a room that will sleep 3

we did the French Alps, staying at a place called Bourg st Maurice near mt Blanc, from there we had 7 different mountain passes to do...Fantastic....

the French drivers seem to show more respect to motorcyclists than their British counterparts and you'll find most of them will make room for you to pass....

where ever you decide to go take it easy and enjoy yourselves and take in some wonderful sites, you'll love it

ts50x0
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:09 - 17 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

french drivers are ace, they all pull over so you can overtake, really freindly, andf they are crazy, lol, so do be carefull, but its great over there, btw wen i went to france this summer on my cb i found that the n21 dowen the south was amazing and hgood for a smaller bike. Thumbs Up

Knowlsey
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 04:13 - 17 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGee wrote:
Hey nath,

can you recomend any decent top boxs my mate want one for his bandit im no expert ???

givi or kappa, kappa are made from the same factory as it is an offshoot of givi, its actually owned by the daughter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Knowlsey
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 04:16 - 17 Oct 2005    Post subject: Re: Touring Reply with quote

Nick.H wrote:
Just found out from my dad that he wants us to go abroad on the gs500 in a week. At first he thought spain, as a good mate currently lives out there, but now it looks more likely to be france.

This will be this first time (i think) for us both to do anything like this, so any advice would be welcome.

Not sure yet if we are going to be following a route, or just going wherever the roads take us, as we dont have our own luggage, my dad has already asked a mate to borrow a top box/rack and tank bag. i will most likely have a backpack too.

Anywhere do you recommend that we go? roads/places?
Any helpful tips, what we should take (except for the obvious)?

I remember seeing a site about motorbike touring once anyone remember it?

Cheers, Nick

this is the only one i know in france

https://www.motocamp.com/

and heres some other places, dont know if they all work

www.bmct.co.uk
www.motocamp.com
www.cimt.it
www.andesmoto-tours.com/ineng.htm
www.asianbiketour.com
www.atomtours.com
www.austcomb.com.au
www.bajaoffroad.com
www.biketours-uk.com
www.bikersadvice.co.uk
www.leisurebikes.co.uk
www.ukworld.net/marianfa
www.ocean-breeze.co.uk
www.raceways.net
www.roundbritainrally.co.uk
www.saharabiketours.com
www.bikeshareworld.com
www.motorcycletours.co.uk
www.motordakar.com
www.bikesabroad.co.uk
www.bikescape.com.au
www.farsideevents.com/sportsbiking
www.hctravel.com
www.highlandrider.com
www.horizonsunlimited.com
www.imtc2.freeserve.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Johnny GSX-R
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:29 - 17 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no way i'd ride with a topbox as opposed to throw over panniers....... Never ever ever!

With weight after ther rear spindle and so high up its gonna make the bars shake and feel twitchy. The Blackbird was a twat to ride with a full topbox, since sold it.. Panniers / tankbag are the only way to go, keep the weight low and more central, especially on a small bike such as the GS.
Enjoy the trip... ( i have some panniers if you wanna borrow them)

Johnny GSX-R
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:40 - 17 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Formula 1 hotel chain is very cheap as are a majority of out of town hotels.

Take a phrase book and at least attempt to learn the lingo, if you try they will assist you. Make sure you have new tyres or at least very good condition as the weight of 2 up with luggage on skinny tyres will wreck them quite soon.

Get an 'ORANGE' sim for your phone as they have the best coverage for the continent just incase of emergency.

Black Knight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:47 - 17 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowlsey wrote:

givi or kappa, kappa are made from the same factory as it is an offshoot of givi, its actually owned by the daughter

Its a well known fact that kappa luggage is of inferior material to Givi. Its been known to unstabalise the rear end almost giving a tankslapper effect but from the back.

Its a less known fact that this is where the term kappa Slapper originates from. Thumbs Up

mistergixer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:52 - 17 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what you want out of a tour, personally i would rather cover shorter distances on fun roads than sit on the Autoroute and rack up the miles.
A year ago a few of us went over to Brittany, we covered about 200 - 250 miles per day, but hardly ever went on dual carriageway, and never went on the autoroute.
I love france, they are extremely hospitable to bikers: at one place we stopped for the night, the owners let us put our bikes away in their own garage(no parking for cars!), took all our wet clothes and gear and dried it all off for us.
What really highlighted the differences between English and French views on biking was the port customs blokes. In England leaving it was: gloves off to get passport out of tankbag, lid off so they could see your face, passport away, lid back on, gloves on, and off to the ferry.
On the French side i started to take my gloves off to get my passport out, the french official stopped me, he undid my bag took the passport out and looked at it, asked me to pull my lid down a bit so he could see my face, put my passport back in my bag, zipped it all up and motioned me to go.
I thanked him for doing what he had, he gave a perfect gallic shrug and replied 'J'ai un Moto aussi' - I have a bike too.
Marvellous, jumpers for goalposts stuff!
Space Monkey #7
Don Eladio is dead. His capos are dead. You have no one left to fight for. Fill your pockets and leave in peace. Or fight me and die!
Mistergixer's videos on YouTube
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 17:38 - 17 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

philb wrote:
if your doing France beware of running out of petrol, lots of petrol stations are closed on a weekend 24 hour ones are pay by credit card (french only)

not quite as bad as that...

never had a problem using credit cards in france. Some automated machines don't like UK cards tho, but operators still can get things signed, rather than chip'n'pinned. Many places also accept Maestro, and if you get stuck, just use your cash card in a cash machine for some folding (again, part of the maestro system)

Saturdays are fine.. Sundays, stick to filling up in BIG towns or on the motorways if you Must use them, and you'll be fine

we arrived in france on the ferry on Sunday morning in June, and had filled up in Portsmouth the night before. It was about 100 miles before we saw an open petrol station. (120 miles to a tank, when 2 up with luggage)

a

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 17 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never managed to find an 'automate' petrol station that took my card Sad But there are staffed late opening petrol stations, and the ones on the autoroutes all are.

There is deffinately a different attitude to biking on the continent, probably because there are more bikers and there isn't such a bias towards sports bikes. However re: Passport checks, I think it was you who made it difficult and not the British officials. I rode in and out of both Calias and Dover ports with my helmet on my arm and no-one said anything Thumbs Up

My attitude to touring would be to ride hard for a full day to get along way from home, and then take it easy doing shorter distances on smaller roads. The only effective way to cover distance is to take to the bigger roads in my experience.

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 19:23 - 17 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

America gas pump's = lazy. They acctually work when it comes to credit card. Choose how many gallons/ amout in cash then put in and use this speical clip on the nozzle and it pumps its self and turns off when reached your choosen amount or is full Laughing

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:04 - 17 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGee wrote:
America gas pump's = lazy. They acctually work when it comes to credit card. Choose how many gallons/ amout in cash then put in and use this speical clip on the nozzle and it pumps its self and turns off when reached your choosen amount or is full Laughing

Where does the laziness end?

Jack

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:32 - 17 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack_Cheese wrote:

Where does the laziness end?

Jack

A good question. Where I went on my summer holidays, there was a supermarket and a K-mart right next-door to one another but on different blocks (so a road between them). There was no way to walk from one to the other, you had to go across a flower bed to do so. The locals just get back in their cars and drive from one car park to the other (maybe 200yds). Then if you are REALLY fat, you get an electric buggy to go round the shop on.

I also saw guys driving their cars with one foot on the dash and the other out of the window altering their speed using the cruise control on the steering wheel.

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 03:14 - 18 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
Quote:
I also saw guys driving their cars with one foot on the dash and the other out of the window altering their speed using the cruise control on the steering wheel.

Does sitting out the window count on the high way Mr. Green

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 18 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGee wrote:
Laughing
Quote:

Does sitting out the window count on the high way Mr. Green

I'm getting flashbacks to the final scene of Devil's Rejects now...

Jack

M1ke
Ped Boi

PostPosted: 21:06 - 18 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny 'XX' wrote:
There's no way i'd ride with a topbox as opposed to throw over panniers....... Never ever ever!

I never had any problems with my top box on the zxr4, I found it came in very handy since it had a lock and was water proof. It made the bike a bit more prone to bouncing the front up off bumps under hard power, but defo didn't effect the handling in a bad way once I was used to it.

I went for 21 days and found i needed panniers and top box and tank bag! I wouldn't even concider using a ruck sack over a long distance.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 193 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1