Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tank clearing/reconing...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:19 - 22 Oct 2005    Post subject: Tank clearing/reconing... Reply with quote

Don't know where to start really, the tanks pretty manky inside, the odd big spot of rust, but looks like its surface rust, trouble is can't get to it...

I've heared of filling it up with bolts+petrol and shakeing it for an hour, but i'd still not be 100% happy with that...

Apparently you can seal it with something, so that any loose shat in there can't move anywhere, i'll be putting a filter on anyways but i'd be happyer if it wasn't movein...

Another thing, whats a good way of shifting the paint? i'd get it sand blasted if i could afford it but its not happening, would paint stripper do the trick? considering all the protective layers on the paint and all... or is it wire brush time?

Wouldn't mind haveing the tank as bare metal, otherwise might have a go at painting the tank myself (propperly with brushes)

Tanks for reading Wink

Aikman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:57 - 22 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take your petrol cock off, fill it up with water, putting a finger in the hold where the cock was, shake it about, then run the water through. Once youve got all the shite out of the inside, wire brush the rust and repeat the water bit. Once you've got all the surface rust off, put some meths into your tank to evaporate all the leftover water. After this i would spray a protective coating on the surface where the rust was. Maybe Hammerite (or maybe a clear laquer?). Leave it to dry, leave it in the sun (ha! sun) for a few days, then you should be good! Thumbs Up

Please note: This post may be a load of piss, so i would get one of the older folk (who know what their doing) to confirm before you do anything!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:48 - 22 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd do the stinkwheel "nuts on a string" method first, then jet wash it out, then give it a going over with a double helping of petseal. Belt & brace.

Allow having the tank off the bike for a week or so in total to get it properly dried after jetwashing and then to let the petseal cure.

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 18:56 - 22 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimming pool acid (Muracic), 20/80 acid water mix, strips rust in about 20-30 seconds. Do NOT get it on the paint....

MalcolmT
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:32 - 22 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use any old laquer to seal the inside of the tank, it won' handle being submerged in fuel. Take a peep in the adverts in Classic Bike mag, those guys are always fixing up mankey tanks and i remember seeing adverts for tank sealant.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:46 - 23 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Petseal works ok. It will stink the house out though.

Ideally, if you are going to use petseal, you want a little surface rust left for it bind to (says so in the instructions).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 191 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1