Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Advise needed on a SM

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

distortion
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:38 - 24 Oct 2005    Post subject: Advise needed on a SM Reply with quote

well i was thinking about getting a GSXR600, but after looking at SM's the other day at DK i really fancy getting one as a second bike to the cbr Very Happy

What kind of maintanence do they need ? i know they need oil changes every so often, but how often am i looking at ? also how often am i looking at re-builds ?

Am looking at the 604CCM's at the minuite

Cheers

JP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

knockout_bar
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:41 - 24 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a (virtually) maintanence free SM, get an XR400 and fit SM wheels. They'll last you a lifetime and certainly aren't lacking in power Thumbs Up.

"egg flied lice" - R6jonny (inspired by McGee) Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

distortion
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:47 - 24 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont want a maintainence free SM - just want to let myself know what im in for. And what kind of cost im looking at

mr.tattoo
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:51 - 24 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccm 604 is a rotax engine, they are poo, also they have a belt like ducatis that need changing, electrics are poor on early ccm's, most "proper" motards need oil and filter every100/300 miles including xr's. some lower maitenance motards are drz400s,ccm 644(suzuki lump), ktm lc4 620's, most trail bikes are designed for a few hours blast off road so if you dont change oil regularly your gonna have a duff motor,, the above models have between 1000 and 5k miles oil changes as oposed to 100 miles. depends what you want it for, if its just a toy get a proper motard, oil and filters all the time but well worth it as the others are well under powered. and most proper motards only take around 1.5 litres of oil so its cheap.. good luck

spitfire
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:30 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ccm 604 is a rotax engine, they are poo, also they have a belt like ducatis that need changing, electrics are poor on early ccm's

That contrary to what I have heard, I have 2 mates with CCM/Rotax bikes and they have been brilliant, however someone else has a ccm 644(suzuki lump) and has had problems, his 644 also had electric troubles.

Think you are best to stay away from anything Suzuki or suzuki related.

One bike that has been overlooked is the XR600 which does not need regular oil changes and is virtually indestructible, there are also air cooled XR650's about (they have the dominator engine) which come with leccy start.

There is also the newer water cooled XR 650 but I don't know much about them apart from they are very powerful.

cheers

mr.tattoo
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:30 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

pre 02 suzukis had a paper base gasket which caused greif, after that there fine, ive had 25k miles no hassle of a suzuki lump, xr650l is slow and underpowered, xr650r is awesome, ive had and sold a few recently but oil changes every 500 miles max!! xr 600's are competition bikes, they need regular oil changes.. i used to race the rotax ccm lump when younger, there ok for an hours off road but no good for a road engine(IMO). most big singles need regular oil and filter changes, the more quicker and lairy ones need much more maintenance. ask around on a proper supermoto forum, you'll get some good info on motards...

spitfire
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:07 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
xr 600's are competition bikes, they need regular oil changes.

a freind of mine has had an xr 600 for a few years, he does the oil every 2-3 k, its never given him any trouble...maybe he is just lucky Smile

Code:
i used to race the rotax ccm lump when younger, there ok for an hours off road but no good for a road engine(IMO).

what that the huge looking white one? think my mate (who now has the XR) had a MX version with no lights. The CCM rotax bikes my mates have are (well at least one of them is) a year 2000 bike, seems fine as an trail bike, he uses it for dirt and commuting.

mr.tattoo
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:38 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ccm rotax engine has been the same for many years now, there old engines. your mate must be lucky with the xr or not ride it hard?? any bike will last longer if you look after it, in my honda xr manual honda reckon the xr 600 oil changes are every 500 miles max!! i changed the oil and filter on my xr every 200 miles and had 10k miles trouble free before the rebuild, thats quite good. anyways enough banter..... and no it wasnt the huge white one's, hahahahahah im not that old Shocked ..

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:41 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard the rotax engines have a bit more low down go while the jap engines have a bit more top end in the CCMs.

Do remember also that motorways are probably out of the question as well.

Incidentally, I /may/ have a 710cc tarted up R30 for sale soon, we shall see Smile.

goony
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:42 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

try this site for info on ccm https://www.ccmowners.co.uk/

distortion
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:02 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have found a couple of SuperMoto forums and am asking questions on them. There seems to be alot of people saying different things, so im going to ask someone who owns the bikes exactly what the score is when it comes to maintainence.

The Honda XR600 is looking the favorite at the moment Wink

mr.tattoo
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:28 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have an xr650r, ktm lc4 and a klx at the mo... id go for a suzy lump r30, little bit slower than the rest but handle superb, cheap to maintain, long servicing(4-5k miles)... ive owned pretty much all singles.... xr650r is still my fav... loads of bottom end grunt and wheelies for england Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 177 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1