Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mudguard solution sought.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:53 - 18 Oct 2005    Post subject: Mudguard solution sought. Reply with quote

Right. Got a set of 17" cast wheels fitted to my KLE500. Need to find some way of fitting a front mudguard. As ever with custom bike making, there are difficulties.

Options and problems:
Arrow use standard lugs Too close to front tyre, no room (have to deflate tyre to get wheel out past them).
Arrow fit high level guard on bottom yoke No mounting points, lack of clearance between bottom yoke and radiator.
Arrow Fit fork brace with attached mudguard Seems the most elegant solution. Difficulty sourcing one, I think a telefix KLR one should fit but not certain. They are also £90 and that seems a bit steep for the amount of material/engineering in one.

Here's a picture of the bike:

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 01:23 - 18 Oct 2005    Post subject: Re: Mudguard solution sought. Reply with quote

Could you not make some risers that go up from the standard lugs?

Race bikes often have similar problems when higher profile front tyres are used, though it usually just means you have a sligtly thinner mudguard Smile.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 02:02 - 18 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really, there is about 4mm clearance between the sidewall of the tyre and the casting of the lug, not even enough room for the head of a bolt. As I say, you couldn't remove the wheel without deflating the tyre to get it past the lugs.

I don't really want to start grinding down the lugs, I have thus far managed to avoid doing anything that would prevent me putting the bike back to standard.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:00 - 19 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

A high mount front gaurd seems to be the only solution i would say, and that would look the best IMO. Have you got a fork brace for it? if so what type is it and where did you get it? Im thinking of putting a brace on my KMX200 when i supermoto it, as im going to use a KLE500 disc and possibly the caliper, and i dont want my forks twisting from the effects of a decent front brake.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 19 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. yeah, you gotta go high. There is simply no room to have a low level front mudguard and as Steve said, it would look the best.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:55 - 19 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.dual-star.com/index2/Images%20JPG/Fork%20Brace%20Rear%20Left%20Sm.jpg

I want that one!

But they are in the USA Sad

Aikman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 19 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm Thinking

I have a cunning plan. What you need is a steel tube the length of your fork and big enough so it will fit over it (the height you want your muddy to go up to) Cut it down the middle to produce two halfs. Now drill a hole so that they can be held over the forks by your wheel axel. Then you can weld brakets onto this new peice of metal, and bolt your new muddy onto that! I dont see why it shouldent work. Post back if you dont get what i mean!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 02:08 - 20 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is an interesting idea. I suspect it would add a lot of unsprung weight to the bike though and act as a bit of a corrosion trap. The other problem is that the fixing will be a long way from the mudguard itself. At 115mph, there is quite a lot of force applied to the mudguard by the wind blast, if the thing managed to pivot itself round, I would be in trouble.

I did consider a similar thing (making a bracket attaching to the spindle) but discarded the idea due to the reason mentioned above (ie the mounting being too far from the point of force).

Keep them coming though.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 10:50 - 20 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
....you couldn't remove the wheel without deflating the tyre to get it past the lugs...

Just to clarify, why is deflating the tyre a problem. In reality how often do you remove the front wheel. Assuming you can get at everything else (brakes, lines, disc) then is it only an issue when changing rubber? If so then a flat tyre would assist rather than hinder, would it not? I'm also assuming you'll be using some tyre gunk stuff in case of a puncture.

Taking the front wheel off is hardly something you just do for the sake of it (or is it, I understand the nights can be cold and lonely where you are Very Happy).

The way I read your post is you don't want to use the standard lugs because you have to deflate the tyre. Please correct if there's another reason.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:25 - 20 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering about something like a jubilee clip on either fork leg. Get decent ones and do 'em up tight (maybe with some rubber inside to add grip and stop it damaging the fork etc)

Could have some metal acting as a bracket with bolt holes and protrusions to be stuck inside the jubilee clip.

Alternatively, if you have a friendly local CNC'er, could you not get a brace made up fairly cheaply?
(Or even get it made up from a block of solid metal with a big metal drill of some kind with out CNC stuff.)

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:31 - 20 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

No using the lugs, out of the question. I am maybe not making myself clear, there is a 4mm gap between the lugs and the tyre sidewall, no way that you could even get a bit of alloy plate in there, never mind a bolt.

G. Not bad, maybe use exhaust clamps? I have a friendly local machinist (who only charged me £50 to make up two wheel spacers and the billet alloy bracket to move the brake calliper) but he is very busy just now.

I could make a brace myself but you really need a milling machine to take-out a hole that big in alloy.

Another idea I had was that I could use a hole-saw and make some clamps out of a block of nylon using my own tools, just not sure where I would get a big block of nylon. Make two like in the picture then bolt an alloy plate between them. No reason why that shouldn't both brace the forks and hold a mudguard.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:45 - 20 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Another idea I had was that I could use a hole-saw and make some clamps out of a block of nylon using my own tools, just not sure where I would get a big block of nylon.

Try ebay, if not, do a search on google - plenty of places that sell it in bulk, maybe try and blag a free sample?

I had actually been thinking along similar lines, but in wood!
Was also thinking - if you could find some old bearings off about the right size (don't have to be off a bike obviously, presume cars must have some biggish bearings around), you could probably get a slightly overlarge one. THen take out the internal section and take out a few mm of metal so it can be tightened up.
You could then get two nuts welded to it - one to take a bolt and the other a bit bigger for the bolt to go through so you could tighten it up on the correctly sized one.

Then weld a random bit of metal between your two 'clamps' - could also presumably weld other random bits on to it to hold your mudguard.

I presume the tap for the original mounts isn't open? You could probably drill then tap it out so it was open - then make up a bracket to go on the outside. (Can't see pics on this pc, so it may not be possible, I appreciate).
Ok, it wouldn't quite look standard, but I doubt anyone would really notice. You could probably even get a little cap to put in it when you sell, so it looks like it should be like that!

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:28 - 20 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is like watching an episode of The Crystal Maze, I can't wait to see if Stinkwheel can figure out the problem!

Hope this doesn't seem like a pointless (aka redundant) post: unfortunately I don't posess the handyman skills to come up something productive but if the stress of it all gets to you Stinkwheel just give me a shout and I'll sort you out with some therapy Laughing

Good luck!

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 15:38 - 20 Oct 2005    Post subject: Re: Mudguard solution sought. Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Arrow Fit fork brace with attached mudguard ... £90 and that seems a bit steep for the amount of material/engineering in one....£50 to make up two wheel spacers and the billet alloy bracket

Apologise if I'm missing the obvious but given a brace will be a precision job, milled from solid, given what you've already spent then £90 doesn't sound too bad. Obviously a Heath Robinson approach may cost a few quid but IMO it'll always be a lash up job.

Again, no offence meant, it's actually good to see someone try to come up with something other than an off the shelf solution. It's just I can't help thinking if other people have been there, sorted that, why are you reinventing the wheel?

Best of luck sorting it out, I'm interested in the final solution Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:31 - 20 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taker your point Map and it is valid. The actual cost is not a major issue. I would pay £90 for a micron fork brace or something like the one in the picture I posted above, they are elegantly engineered and well finished.

It is just that I have looked at the telefix ones (which is all that seems to be available 'off the shelf' in this country) and they do not seem to me to be of a standard that justifies the price. I will spend money but I will not spend more than I think something is worth. I'm going to the breakers this weekend to see if they have a micron one that will modify to fit.

See what I mean?

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:18 - 20 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I did consider a similar thing (making a bracket attaching to the spindle) but discarded the idea due to the reason mentioned above (ie the mounting being too far from the point of force).

Mine is attached down low and i suffer no probs. Just a piccy to add.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 11:06 - 21 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I taker your point Map...cost is not a major issue...elegantly engineered and well finished....See what I mean?

Absolutely Thumbs Up Same hymn sheet and all that Very Happy

As said, interested now in what the final solution will be.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 03:53 - 06 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. Found someone who will make me some brace clamps out of billet as a homer. Simple design.

I will try to get an ascerbis mudguard like my MZ had. Failing that an early RGV250 or GSX600 one should go on there.

EDIT: I have noticed that the overall length of the whole block is wrong on my drawing Embarassed
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 177 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1