Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

'What bike I got then?'

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:34 - 05 Nov 2005    Post subject: [HELP!] 'What bike I got then?' [HELP!] Reply with quote

Haven't really got the money yet for a decent bike that Im hoping to get, so got myself the attached bike for £450.

Right, questions...

Does any one know what the proper pre-mix ratio it is, presuming it is pre mix as I couldn't see any extra tubes going to the carbs or extra bottles.

Any ideas on what model it is? On the v5 it's listed as a 1986 first registered in 2002. Can't find any pics of 86 bikes with USD forks.
Anyone know any resources for this bike on the net or elsewhere?

The floating front brake caliper has a fair bit of movement, is this an issue?

Any thing else I should know about it generally?

So far I've only really ridden 4 strokes off road, took this for a quick blast in the hilly field behind me work, and this definitely took a bit of getting used to - though different surface to what I'm used to also as I think it was quite hard.
Anything I need to look out for?

If no one knows much, any ideas on any where there might be people that do?

Last edited by G on 21:25 - 05 Nov 2005; edited 1 time in total

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:05 - 05 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry G, can't answer any of your questions but thought I'd let you konw that the advert the link takes you to has been removed.

Good luck Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:29 - 05 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, edited post.

andy198712
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:39 - 05 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

wont the V5 say wat make it is and the frame and engine number will give u andea of the model and yr?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Aikman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:11 - 06 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check around for engine markings, if you find them, dump them into google and it MIGHT bring something up thats relative!
Also if you get really stuck, start with a 1:20 ratio, then refine it every time you refill the tank, running it too rich for a couple of tanks wont hurt. Also, the chain looks a tad slack there!

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 01:01 - 06 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recognise that.

That looks exactly like either a KTM Enduro 350 or 500.

Dad has a KTM enduro 350 (ex-SAS one from first gulf war) - it is certainly a lot of fun, it doesn't like pootling about - it either wants to accelerate or stop.

Parts for them are VERY expensive, so look out for everything. Smile

PM me the frame number if you want and I can check if the pattern matches dad's, to confirm.

Oh, and it is pre-mix yes, I can check with dad the premix ratio he uses. He got into contact with a good old fashioned KTM dealer in Wales, who know everything about everything KTM.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 01:06 - 06 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 87 350cc, which I've got from the frame number.

Looks quite like the following, but mine has USD forks, maybe put on at a later date?
https://www.leftkick.com/ktmcd/1987/350egs1987.html

The 88 looks like it has the USD forks, can't quite tell from the above pic if it does or doesn't.

Pre-mix ratio's would be good if you could.

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 01:14 - 06 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The USD forks must have been put on at a later date - dad's has USD forks and it is definately a 350 Enduro, his is 1990.

Incidently, for the gulf the SAS made up some velcro sand gators to stop sand blasting against the forks and ruining them, other modifications included adding an uber radiator fan (desert..) and a much quieter exhaust, along with painting them head to toe (including over all of the instruments) in sand coloured paint. Only 23 or so KTM's were used, and only called in at the last minute, hence the bodge job of painting them. (Probably all irrelevant, but quite interesting!)

I'm fairly certain yours is a KTM Enduro 350.

Will ask for the premix ratios.

mr.tattoo
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:20 - 06 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

premix 50/1. Very Happy

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:30 - 06 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr.tattoo wrote:
premix 50/1. Very Happy

Is that just a random guess?

On another forum I was told 'can't go wrong with 40/1', which I'll take over 50/1 if it means me bike's slightly less likely to blow up Smile.

mr.tattoo
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:43 - 06 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

its up to you mate but i got a rare and old ktm manual which states 350 two stroke is 50/1 mix. i run both my crossers on the same mix and its fine. try 40 to one, if it smokes like a bugger then change acordingly. Very Happy

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:49 - 06 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr.tattoo wrote:
its up to you mate but i got a rare and old ktm manual which states 350 two stroke is 50/1 mix.

Cool, sorry, just wanted to check that it was from an establised source. Do you know what year/model the manual you've got is for?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:46 - 06 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any pre-mix 2-stroke I have encountered that was: a) Made after 1970 and b) Made in a non-communist country. Ran on 50:1 or weaker. Even Jawas were running on 50:1 latterly.

mr.tattoo
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:05 - 06 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

it covers early 80s up til around 94 i think, ive got a scanner so if i can work it your welcome to have the manual emailed ect, would give to ya but its like rocking horse poo and its old Very Happy im a mechanic with my own business not a spotty 12 year old offering useless info Wink , 50/1 it will be fine mate.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:19 - 06 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr.tattoo wrote:
it covers early 80s up til around 94 i think, ive got a scanner so if i can work it your welcome to have the manual emailed ect, would give to ya but its like rocking horse poo and its old Very Happy

If you can, that'd be great Thumbs Up. No worries if not.

Quote:
im a mechanic with my own business not a spotty 12 year old offering useless info Wink , 50/1 it will be fine mate.

Cool, sorry, had to check incase you were a 12 year old who had heard his mates dad talking about it once, kinda thing Smile.

mr.tattoo
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:02 - 06 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

no worries mate, i will get me mises to do it as im computer retarded and i get back to you, its bout 100 pages but its a good manual buddy. there quick bikes. nearley all crossers ive had are 50/1 from my own experience not cos my mates dads nans cousins next door neighbout recond it is Laughing

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:55 - 07 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got an offer of someone sending me an electronic copy of the workshop manual of a ktm forum, so someone else has already done it seems. So would hold off for the mo.

Cheers
G

Valver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 07 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

G, USD forks? Where?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:12 - 07 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
USD forks? Where?

Between the handlebars and the front wheel. Laughing

(the sliders are under a white plastic cover to stop them getting shit all over them)

Valver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:25 - 07 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Quote:
USD forks? Where?

Between the handlebars and the front wheel. Laughing

(the sliders are under a white plastic cover to stop them getting shit all over them)

Ahh right sorry, shoulda looked more closely. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 167 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1