Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

off-road gear used on-road

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Offroad & Supermoto by Korn (25 Nov 2005 - 11:13)
View previous topic : View next topic  

gimpy limp
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:35 - 24 Nov 2005    Post subject: off-road gear used on-road Reply with quote

Would you use protective trousers designed for offroad use (motorcross an all that) on road? Can you add your own armour to these because as far as I can tell they only have basic protection with no hard armour. I've noticed you can get armour you can strap to your back and shoulders for added protection to your jacket can you get anything like this for your lower half?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 17:44 - 24 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

motocross protection is designed for impact, rather than abrasion, since the surfaces are usually loose,wet,grassy etc... and not tarmac.

a

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 17:50 - 24 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mx gear won't do much on the road.. I ride on the road with it when I go green laning, between lanes etc, just gotta be a bit more careful.

As feef said, MX armour is designed more for impact but I'd imagine it'd hold up fairly well with a slow speed crash, but you'd be better off wearing mx armour + cordura over jacket.. and that's only the full body suits im on about.. roost guards won't do fark all Smile

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:49 - 24 Nov 2005    Post subject: Re: off-road gear used on-road Reply with quote

As you've seen the over clothes have no hard armour.

I've seen people wearing armoured mx top style things for stunting - wondering about it myself for the summer now I got the off road kit.

Basically, unless you're going to be doing a lot of off roading or have the stuff already, I wouldn't bother considering it.

You can get mx knee guards that are quite chunky.

0ni
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 24 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only offroad gear I have ever worn are a pair of Alpinestars Vector MX boots.

They are pretty much waterproof and extremely hard wearing. I have put around 12,000 miles on them in the last year and they look brand new. Not only do I commute in them but I wear them maybe 8 hours a day if im out in about in my civvies and they are great.

I might stretch to an offroad lid if I was kicking about on a Super moto style bike but apart from that its leather jacket and armoured jeans/leathers.

https://www.ejfa.se/xcart/files/t_488.jpg

jon23
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:21 - 24 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i got my trail bike i got strada trousers and jacket with armour already in it which are designed for offroad but are abrasive enough for on road use.

humphrey
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:49 - 25 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armor i'v never used armor on my legs if i'm green laneing or on the road just a good pare of jeans and boots wot eles do you need. Thumbs Up Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek

PostPosted: 17:25 - 25 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

humphrey wrote:
Armor i'v never used armor on my legs if i'm green laneing or on the road just a good pare of jeans and boots wot eles do you need. Thumbs Up Twisted Evil

Spelling lessons.

My mate used to use the MX armour on road but he was only on a 50 and it never did him harm. I would suggest that you wear road gear on the road, just incase. Especially in this weather.

Thumbs Up Take care.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DEN MONKEY
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 25 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
he was only on a 50 and it never did him harm

Not the "on" part I'd be worried about, it's more the OFF part
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 158 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1