Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What are the advantages of a Steering Damper

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

funmonkee
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:39 - 27 Nov 2005    Post subject: What are the advantages of a Steering Damper Reply with quote

What the title says ^^^

Okay I ride Vmax and it's known for the high speed wobbles- theres various fixes (Furbur etc), but I'm looking at a steering damper. I think the damper would sort out the high speed (70+) wobbles to a degree. But what are the usual reasons for fitting one and are their any reasons not to fit one. For example the one I'm looking at has 6 settings--what does that mean?,,, is there varying levels of damping ? Also is a steering damper a bad idea if you travel in city traffic alot? Is there any danger involved with fitting a steering damper?

Cheers Karma

PS I mate once said a steering damper is fitted to make wheelies easier (no names)-I'm still pissing myself at that one...hehe Very Happy ..And no there's no way I'll ever do a wheelie with the Vmax... anyhoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 10:59 - 27 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

A damper dampens the rate the bars oscillate out of sync with the bike's chassis, usually when powering out of corners or over continuous (rippled) bumpy surfaces. This is usually felt as the bars slam left and right seemingly out of control. Funnily enough, as my suspension was set on the hard side of comfortable, I used to get a few shakes from the front end of my RVF; mind you, the throttle was on the stop down the most bumpiest of back roads.

The different rates of adjustment allow you to find a setting which is a compromise between heavy steering and stability in a bar-shakeable environment. I've got one fitted to my Blade, but as the time of year dictates, I haven't found the need to switch it on yet (it's on it's lowest, free'est setting), besides, I don't like the restriction dampers give at slower speeds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

funmonkee
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:04 - 27 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 156 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1