Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Speedo problem on Kwak GT550

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

funmonkee
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:41 - 27 Nov 2005    Post subject: Speedo problem on Kwak GT550 Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I bought a winter hack - a kawasaki gt550. It was cheap and the only real fault is the speedo "stop working a couple of weeks ago"... Anyway I have disconnected the speedo cable from the front wheel and connected it to a drill, turned the drill on and the speedo jumps into action (5 - 10 MPH... yey). So I guess the speedo cable is okay! On the down side this means something must be wrong with the connection at the front wheel (Sorry dunno what it's called....).

Can anyone tell me how I can test this to see if its a problem here or If anyone knows if this is a common fault and how much it's likely to cost to fix??? I'm not too worried about knowing what speed I'm doing as the Winter hack is mostly for in town and I just gauge my speed on other road users (mistake!!!)...but the fact that the mileage isn't ticking on is a MOT problem and when I come to sell in March I don't want to tell the buyer that the mileage is incorrect.

Also is there any other gadget that I can buy (not GPS) that I can use on the bike to tell me what speed I'm doing without connecting to the standard speedo drive mechanism??? Just so I can compare to the standard speedo (this is actually for my Vmax).....

Any help really appreciated Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 27 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bicycle speedo (the magnetic pickup type) could be persuaded to the job, you'd get no speedo error either. Smile You should be able to get one for less than a tenner.

The speedo drive (assuming it's the front wheel) isn't especially substantial, it's entirely possible a dog tooth has been bent, (hell, there are only two in my 125 Neutral ) Strip and clean the whole thing and you should be able to tell if anything is busticated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:41 - 27 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy digital speedos like you put on pushbikes for about £15.

The bit that is broken is called the 'speedo drive'. Essentially a small gearbox that converts the wheel turning into turning of the speedo cable.

Chances are this bit is ok. There is usually also a small steel tube/ring with two tags that engage into the wheel hub and two notches that turn the speedo drive itself (essentially linking the wheel to the drive). These are made of very thin steel and are pretty flimsy.

Could be worn out or broken. Equally, cack handed removal/replacement of the wheel without lining the tags up properly can buckle the ring or bend the tags over which would just need straightening.

Found a piccy showing these 'tags' on the speedo drive gear:
https://www.hondaminitrail.com/gifs/speedogear.jpg

funmonkee
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:32 - 27 Nov 2005    Post subject: thx Reply with quote

Cheer guys thats well helpful Karma
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 155 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1