Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

big tourers.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Touring & Exploration by Korn (9 Nov 2005 - 18:54)
View previous topic : View next topic  

steveh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:15 - 12 Dec 2004    Post subject: big tourers. Reply with quote

Well, recently posted about a vstrom 650, and was wondering what other bikes there are like this, not really familiar with big tourers, im asking on behalf of my old man, as he wants one, he currently has a norton commando 850 Interstate but wants a nice tall bike, if anyone could post a list of bikes and personal opinions, that would be great.

cheers Steve

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 12 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres also the Honda Transalp 650, and the Yamaha TDM850.

Both are very tall bikes, and both are twins, and are very reliable.

A member of this forum has just got a transalp too, so I am sure he'll be along in a minute posting what he thinks of his.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:03 - 12 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume you're looking at a newish one?

Most of the manufacturers make a litre class or similar one:
Aprilia Caponord
Cagiva Canyon
Ducati (that weird moving headlight thingy)
Honda Varadero
Suzuki VStorm (Kwasaki aslo sell a copy of this that is the same bike)
Triumph Tiger
BMW GS range
KTM's new adventure thingy

The last two have a hope of getting off road, the rest are pure road bikes. I've probably missed one or two out there.

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:10 - 12 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Predictable - me?

Depending on what sort of touring he is planing on really.. motorway touring or windey backroads, or both...

Honda deuvalle - is a brilliant small tourer, will handle better than you'd think + shaft driven goodness.

Yamaha divy - Uneventfull, but shaft drive and reliable.

Pan european - Police use them for good reason.

BMW - Pricey but good.

zzr-600/1100 - Fantastic touring bikes, comfy as bmws flaship tourer and you can do a trackday on one. not very tall..

Trans alp - Tall it is! (and tall i'm not) the seat is not great but corbin make an aftermarket one (which i'm planing on) its powerfull enough to scare you sometimes, nothing fazes the suspension, can even be taken off road Very Happy Brilliant for filtering, easy to controll, and you can see for miles in front!

Africa twin is the one i would have liked, to tall and too pricy.

Triumph tiger - its british!

sure theres loads more..

synaptyx
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:41 - 12 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love something I could sit up on for the sake of my back. I have short arms and short legs, so I need a low seat and handlebars I don't have to stretch too far over the tank to get to. My ideal seat height is about 785mm (like my GSX600F). Not sure what to go for next. Confused

flat spot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:17 - 12 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

King of the tourers is the FJ1200. Quiter sporty for their bulk and will sit on the motorway all day long at 100mph without a hiccup.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 342 days between these two posts...

GRUNT
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:13 - 20 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a owner of the V-strom 650 i can say without doubt......it's the MUTTS NUTTS.
Cant fault it
Strong, powerfull engine, reliable, comfy, can add lots of add-ons.
Just taken out my "secondaries" today. Got smoother ride at low revs, about another 10 mph at the top. Cut the"Peeshooter" pipe out of the tailpipe and she sounds quite sweet now.
Yep have to say a good all round bike.
Stood it next to a new R1 the other day and it TOWERS over it.
Heres a pic:
[img][/img]

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 19:55 - 20 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

GRUNT wrote:

Looks like they've upped the specs, the 650 never used to come with the hand guards. Remember also the VStrom 1000 is the same bike as the Kawasaki KLV 1000.

IMO big tourers are worth the effort.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 19:57 - 20 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

flat spot wrote:
King of the tourers is the FJ1200....

Not according to the RiDE Power Survey.
1st was the old Honda ST1100, second was the Yamaha and third was the Honda STX1300.

...and if you want sporty I'd say top of the heap for getting you far in comfort and then having fun (with luggage off) when you get there is the VFR750/800.

Just my thoughts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:12 - 20 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

got to say the st1100 aint i Laughing cos i ride 1 and have done for 6 years .super comfort 64 mpg on a good run .max miles ive done in a day is 700 in total comfort dieppe to andorra.and you can have loads of fun when you get the pegs down .but i still like the blackbird shame i sold the bugger . Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ISLAND GIRL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 20 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
GRUNT wrote:

Looks like they've upped the specs, the 650 never used to come with the hand guards. Remember also the VStrom 1000 is the same bike as the Kawasaki KLV 1000.

IMO big tourers are worth the effort.

When OH (Grunt) brought his Vstrom it never had the muffs or back box, he has added his, typical as now the new up to date spec due out next yr is that in the piccy which comes with all that as standard but I believe it will be a little more expensive.
The Kwaka at the time was not nought % apr.

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 22 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

GRUNT wrote:
https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/520_v-strom_20side_20_1_.jpg

looks nice. I once thought of buying VstromDL650, but I was afraid of seat height, so I bought W650 instead and made it like tourer. I am 173cm height so I need more 10cm height to buy tall tourers.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 14:59 - 22 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i reckon an old goldwing wd be good for leisurely touring

tonyyzf
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:40 - 27 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the Cagiva Navigator, its a Canyon with a TL1000 engine, I have one and its fantastic, could ride it all day every day.
My mate had a Yam TDM850 but traded it for a Navi, he's delighted with it, good strong motor, excellent handling.
You can get all the necessary luggage, handguards, higher screen, etc.
Have a look at this ebay item:-
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2000-CAGIVA-NAVIGATOR-Blue-12000-miles-3000ono_W0QQitemZ4592921132QQcategoryZ424QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 155 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1