Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Funny whirling/ noise

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to The Workshop by Bendy (20 Nov 2005 - 19:50)
View previous topic : View next topic  

quik_d
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:18 - 20 Nov 2005    Post subject: Funny whirling/ noise Reply with quote

hi there i was wondering if anyone can shed some light on this. Since it has been getting really cold (last week or so) on my journeys to work i sometimes get this high pitch whirring noise on the bike, well it sounds exactly like an old kettle whilstling when its boiling. It only does it on the A3 when i'm doing a decent speed. If i slow down it continues to make a nise until i slow to about 30, then it just stops, almost like a switch.

It doesn't happen everyday, but is becomming more frequent and i'm slightly unnerved as to what it is!

Plenty of antifreeze in the radiator/water system. I have thought its maybe the themastat playing up and setting the fan off, its definately coming from the engine/front of the bike

Honda Bros 400 to anyone who doesn't know already.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Lee_367
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:23 - 20 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have gear driven cams like the vfr/rvf 400's?

quik_d
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:29 - 20 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think so,

ooooooooh god don't say things like that, sounds expensive!

whats your idea then?

Lee_367
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:35 - 20 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

They always make that noise if its got gear driven cams, its like a whooshing noise when you rev it.

quik_d
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:40 - 20 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh ok, but this is a high pitch noise, squeal and i've been riding it since july and never heard it yet, is it due to the cold?

beast rider
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 15:00 - 20 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you cleaned your brake pistons recently?

I have a similar problem, every once in a while one of the pistons get stuck out slightly pushing the pad against the disk.

All i do is take the callipers off, take out the pads and give the pistons a good clean with some brake cleaner and a tooth brush.

It works for a few weeks till crap builds up on them again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jonnay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:27 - 20 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

wheel bearings possibly? I'd also check your brake pads as beast rider (above) said, I had the same problem every few months on my ped..

Jon

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:08 - 20 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be geeky and say the cold temperature has caused a part to contract, causing the whistling when air passes over it. Its probably gas movement, bearings sound like a plane taking off, and i'm fecked if i can hear my water pump. Check the exhaust and airbox, and any generally wobbly parts. Last of all, check your bloody helmet! It could be nothing more than an iffy vent on your skid lid, or even a crack in the visor!

Jack
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

quik_d
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:09 - 20 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

great minds think alike, i considered the front brake, so i went out this afternoon and cleaned them up with some brake cleaner.

I also thought about maybe is was something contracting but one of the times it did it i had just set out, 2 minutes into my journey, most times its 30 minutes in so seems a bit random.

would a wheel bearing make that noise all the time?

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 23:39 - 20 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a cam-chain not gears. Fan could well be seized, its common on BROS's.

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:16 - 21 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Its a cam-chain not gears. Fan could well be seized, its common on BROS's.

Good thinkin Thumbs Up

A wheel bearing will always make the noise over a certain speed, it just becomes a higher frequency noise the faster you go.

Jack

freestyler_onli
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:40 - 21 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIne sounds like a washing machine as i accelerate- like the spin cycle whirring! Shocked

quik_d
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:35 - 25 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update>>>>> after poking things as im going along when the noise was going (not recomended) i have found it to be something to do with the clocks! speedo to be precise. Any other ideas? i'm going to oil the cable tomorrow

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 00:42 - 26 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sir have a worn gear. Be careful as I think its the long blue gear that gives the mileage reading. If you need a clock PM me.

quik_d
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 11:46 - 27 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do you know its the blue one? have you had a set of clocks apart? your idea idea sounds quite likely, it still reads true and shows how fast i am going and clocks up miles normally

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 01:02 - 28 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned 6 BROS's and had them apart.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 156 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1