Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

RT100 serlf oiler is it possible to bypass and premix?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fatgreek
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:45 - 13 Dec 2005    Post subject: RT100 serlf oiler is it possible to bypass and premix? Reply with quote

Hi all Very Happy
Just been out and bought a Yamaha RT100 as a first bike for my 8yr old would it do the bike any damage if i disconnected the self oiler and used a pre mix?

Thanx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Aikman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 13 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you could figure out the proper mixture, it wont do any harm. But can i ask why you would want to disconnect the self mixer? :S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:19 - 13 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would need to blank off the oil feed into the engine manifold otherwise it will draw air in through it and run lean as hell.

If you are leaving the pump in place, you would be best to still have it circulating oil, it is mechanically attached to the engine and could cause problems if it seizes. Easiest way to do this is to leave some oil in the tank and route the pump outflow back into the tank.

Removing the auto oiler may cause the fuel:air mix to be a little on the lean side. A couple of plug chops should reveal if this is a problem, I doubt it would be.

Dischord
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 14 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have an RT100 they're cool little bikes, they wheely really well! As for changing to pre-mix it's possible, my friend did it when the pump packed in, you can change any bike to premix, aslong as you're willing to mix it's a much safer option!

Check out my vids - https://www.youtube.com/user/KTMSparky/videos

Fatgreek
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:24 - 15 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aikman666 wrote:
As long as you could figure out the proper mixture, it wont do any harm. But can i ask why you would want to disconnect the self mixer? :S

The only reason i'm even thinkin bout it is that if my other son goes out and the young un wants to take the RT out neither of them can be relied on to check the oil!!! and i don't want to come back to another busted machine Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:24 - 16 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Japanese 2-strokes will be more than happy with 50:1, if it keeps oiling the plug at that, drop it down a bit.

Erring on the side of too much only results in oily plugs and a build up of coke in the engine which is easily dealt with, too little oil is the path to seizure.

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:56 - 16 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem with pre-mix nowadays though is that since there aren't any 2t oil dispensers at petrol stations anymore, I don't know how you'd get on trying to add a precise amount from an unmarked bottle according to how much petrol you've just put in.

That is of course assuming the 8 year old would be using the petrol stations rather than just pestering you to fill them up. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 02:07 - 16 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I used to use a piece of high tech measuring equipment called a 'jug'. I got it from the 99p shop and it would measure up to 250ml in 10ml increments.

If it is a kiddies bike, the petrol will be coming home in 5 litre cans. 100ml per can before they get their hands on it.

EDIT: only a fool would use the shot dispensers at petrol stations for their bike pre-mix anyway, this was true even when they were commonplace. You have no idea what they have in them (engine oil probably). That stuff is for lawnmowers and gennys only in my book.

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:24 - 16 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's me told. Embarassed Laughing Razz

Do you tend to premix it before it gets anywhere near the tank then? I'm just curious as to what you'd do as regards filling up normally without carrying a jug about (not as if that'd be a problem with a Jawa outfit. Laughing )

Completely offtopic and not entirely work safe, google image filtering doesn't work very well. RT100 brings up felching? Confused

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 02:35 - 16 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I used to carry a jug about in one of those small army knapsacks attached to the side of the parcel rack along with a bottle of 2-stroke. Switch off fuel tap, pour in oil, add petrol, shake bike. If you weren't sure how much petrol you were going to get in it, put the oil in after and shake the bike for longer.

Proper pre-mix 2-stroke oil disperses in the fuel virtually instantly anyway. I always used to use rock oil semi synthetic pre mix, silkolene was rubbish, just used to sink to the bottom.

The original petrol cap had a brass measuring cup on the underside of it. One measure per 4 litres of fuel.

My point was that it is a kiddies field bike he was talking about which won't be going anywhere near a petrol station, so it makes sense to mix the fuel in the can before you give it to the kids.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 138 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1