Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Warning light oddity KLE500 *fixed*

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:13 - 11 Dec 2005    Post subject: Warning light oddity KLE500 *fixed* Reply with quote

On my KLE500 which is broadly similar to all the other kawasaki 500 twins (GPZ/EX/EN).

When you switch the ignition on, the neutral light, oil pressure warning light and temperature warning light all come on as is normal.

When you start the engine, the oil and temperature light should go out straight away. Well they don't. Both stay on for a bit then gradually start to flicker (together) then go out and stay out.

This worried me a bit but looking at the sight glass, you can see the oil go down as you start the bike. There is plenty oil in and I did an oil and filter change last weekend. It didn't do this light thing when I took it out after the oil change.

It definately isn't overheating because the engine was cold at the time.

I worried that it could be a charging warning but I have just got back from a 400 mile run with the lights on and it is still fine. This would also tend to rule out an oil pressure problem as it hasn't blown up.

So, why? I have come up with two possabilities so far.

1) An airlock in the oil filter, but I would have thought this would cause the oil light only to come on.

2) My 'most likely' guess. A sticky/duff charging relay. Although finding where it is located may prove a challenge.

Any other ideas?

Last edited by stinkwheel on 15:50 - 17 Dec 2005; edited 1 time in total

Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:55 - 11 Dec 2005    Post subject: Re: Warning light oddity KLE500 Reply with quote

Hmmm, odd one that - I don't think it falls into the 'bad earth' category

stinkwheel wrote:
KLE500 - I have just got back from a 400 mile run

We are definitely not worthy Thumbs Up

tonyyzf
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:22 - 11 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like you could be close with your second option, is there anyone who has a manual or wiring diagram for the KLE500 on here that could say where the relay is? Am i right in presuming these lights would also come on if it stopped charging? I presume it would be the voltage regulator that would 'switch' once the bike was started and charging, the same as most other vehicle charging systems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tonyyzf
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:27 - 11 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like you could be close with your second option, is there anyone who has a manual or wiring diagram for the KLE500 on here that could say where the relay is? Am i right in presuming these lights would also come on if it stopped charging? I presume it would be the voltage regulator that would 'switch' once the bike was started and charging, the same as most other vehicle charging systems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:20 - 12 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonyyzf wrote:
Am I right in presuming these lights would also come on if it stopped charging?

I think you hit the nail on the head. I am presuming, and will be doing so until I get a look at a wiring diagram.

I am pretty sure it must be some form of 'charging warning' light when both come on at once. Just the intermittant nature that puzzles me, as well as the fact that it 'flickers' for a bit before going out. You would have thought it was either charging, or not charging. I can't see how it would not charge for the first 10-15 seconds after starting then charge for the next three hours.

Incidentally, once it's running and warmed up, if you switch the engine off then fire it straight back up again, they go out straight away. If you leave it off for say 10 seconds then fire it up, the lights stay on for a bit.

tonyyzf
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:57 - 12 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Incidentally, once it's running and warmed up, if you switch the engine off then fire it straight back up again, they go out straight away. If you leave it off for say 10 seconds then fire it up, the lights stay on for a bit.

Ok, the major components in the charging system will be Alternator (AC) rectifier to change from AC to DC, voltage regulator and battery. Have you tried connecting a volt meter to the battery and starting the bike, does the voltage at the battery increase at the same time as the lights go out? If so then its confirmed its a charging issue. The way you describe it is like there is something in the system holding the charge a bit once the lights go out, like a capacitor does in a tv or amp, then its draining shortly after the bike stops, so it must be one of the electrical components, but why the delay when starting from cold? That leaves you to find where the fault is, the rectifier? regulator? is there anything else in that system, a balast resistor maybe?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:50 - 12 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does not go out any faster with the lights on or off, I haven't put a meter on it but the headlamp does get brighter when you rev it up, even when the lights are on which suggests to me that it is charging.

I keep coming back to a sticky relay. It is probably in the fuse box. I think I will try smacking it with my favourite nylon hammer. If the lights go out when I do this, I have found my problem.

I really detest intermittant electrical faults.

rg 250 freak
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:59 - 13 Dec 2005    Post subject: warning light oddity Reply with quote

i have heard around the traps of an oil pressure switch being able to be depressed to reset the switch if the bike is fairly new it may have one this is why it is going out slowly because it is building pressure .or have i been taken for a ride

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:36 - 13 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Some charging systems will not kick into life until certain revs have been exceeded once (we had a car that did not charge the battery at all until the first time it was revved to about 3300rpm). Do the lights go out if you blip the throttle.

Also, on our first GPZ we found out that there is an O ring or 2 between the sump plate and the oil ways in the engine. If these are damaged / missing then you will land up with low oil pressure through much of the engine, but only enough to light the oil light at very low revs (scratch one engine).

All the best

Keith

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:53 - 13 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

Some charging systems will not kick into life until certain revs have been exceeded once (we had a car that did not charge the battery at all until the first time it was revved to about 3300rpm). Do the lights go out if you blip the throttle.

They flicker increasingly rapidy with revs but you could redline it and they would stay on then gradually flicker out. I'll get my naalogue multimeter on it anyway when I get the chance to work on it in daylight.

Quote:
Also, on our first GPZ we found out that there is an O ring or 2 between the sump plate and the oil ways in the engine. If these are damaged / missing then you will land up with low oil pressure through much of the engine, but only enough to light the oil light at very low revs (scratch one engine).

Hoepfully not, it has had the arse ragged off it, mostly at three figure speeds for about 400 miles so i would have expected some sort of problem to be evident by now.

Also remember that BOTH the overheat and oil pressure lights are coming on together. I would have thought a simple loss of oil pressure would only cause the oil light to come on?

MikeH
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:43 - 16 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's got to be duff electrical connection somewhere, it's not going to be oil pressure or charging as both lights are flickering at the same time even though they are not directly related.

K.I.S.S. ........check the simple stuff 1st loom connectors, earths etc......put money on it it'll be something stupid. Could be chaffed cables in the instrument pod which are getting damp and it's picking up a signal off the rev counter

I've got a link to a full workshop manual if you need it, I posted it here https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=788133#788133

Cheers

Mike Cool

tonyyzf
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:33 - 16 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at page 16-57 of the manual MikeH kindly supplied a link to it states that the water temp light stays on for a short while after starting the bike to check its circuit is working properly, as the only link between the two lights is the diode/rectifier (page 16-58) and main wiring diagram (page 16-14) I would think that it is possibly the offending item, somehow causing both lights to be on during this initial circuit check

Tony

MikeH
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:51 - 16 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given what he says they flicker faster with the revs, and looking at that diagram the is also a link to the rev counter off the three lamps. I still think it could be a HR connection on the cluster and the flickering is feedback off the rev counter circuit.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:07 - 17 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that guys. I'll be having a poke about this afternoon as well as attempting to fit a bigger fuel tank off a KLR650 Tengi.

I'll let you know how I get on. Thumbs Up

tonyyzf
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:10 - 17 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

He doesn't say if the neutral light flickers as well, which it would if it was a supply side fault from the tacho. If its not flickering at the same time then it must be the earth side, because the oil and water lights are connected, hence a fault somewhere with the sensors, diode, earth. If all three lights are flickering then yes, I would be looking towards the supply from the tacho. The only other thing to think about is it only does it when its started, there's no mention of it coming on at any other time once the bike has been running for a while, so I would almost definitely check the oil pressure switch.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:59 - 17 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the link to the manual Karma

Neutral light doesn't stay on with them.

It's got to be something to do with that diode. Just got to find the sucker now.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:01 - 17 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, as ever nothing you would expect. It wasn't an electrical problem, it was a mechanical one and I fixed it with a hammer.

I started by removing the bodywork to make life simpler. I have got into the habit of checking an electrical fault is still there after removing each plastic, then you know where to look for a trapped wire if that is the fault.

Well, I removed the belly pan and the fault went away. Now that is odd Thinking there are no wires anywhere near it. Warrants a closer look.

Turns out the belly pan was touching the new exhaust system slightly, but only when fully tightened up. This was pressing the header pipe very close to the end of the oil pressure switch. When you first fire up the bike there is a fair bit of vibration, enough to press the header against the end of the switch. As the oil pressure builds, it counteracts this small pressure on the switch and the lights go out. The flickering was the header pipe vibrating.

The diode is fine. If oil pressure is low, both lights come on, if it is temperature only, the temperature light comes on by itself.

Gave the belly pan a few clouts with a hammer and shoogled the header pipe about a bit and job's a good un.

If anyone is planning on fitting an aftermarket exhaust, be carefull how you set it up, there is only a very small area where the pipe is away from both the belly pan and the switch.

Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:29 - 17 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good one.

Now put it back to how it was and see if a dealer can find it Wink

MikeH
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:17 - 17 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Ok, as ever nothing you would expect. It wasn't an electrical problem, it was a mechanical one and I fixed it with a hammer.

I started by removing the bodywork to make life simpler. I have got into the habit of checking an electrical fault is still there after removing each plastic, then you know where to look for a trapped wire if that is the fault.

Well, I removed the belly pan and the fault went away. Now that is odd Thinking there are no wires anywhere near it. Warrants a closer look.

Turns out the belly pan was touching the new exhaust system slightly, but only when fully tightened up. This was pressing the header pipe very close to the end of the oil pressure switch. When you first fire up the bike there is a fair bit of vibration, enough to press the header against the end of the switch. As the oil pressure builds, it counteracts this small pressure on the switch and the lights go out. The flickering was the header pipe vibrating.

The diode is fine. If oil pressure is low, both lights come on, if it is temperature only, the temperature light comes on by itself.

Gave the belly pan a few clouts with a hammer and shoogled the header pipe about a bit and job's a good un.

If anyone is planning on fitting an aftermarket exhaust, be carefull how you set it up, there is only a very small area where the pipe is away from both the belly pan and the switch.

Fair play, that could've been a right twat to find
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 135 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1