Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

DIY Dynojet Setup

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 18:20 - 26 Nov 2005    Post subject: DIY Dynojet Setup Reply with quote

...is it possible to get a basic, well working setup working without the use of a dyno?

I've recently acquired a full system for my Blade and next step would be to get a Dynojet kit and K&N filter to match before installing the whole thing. Just wondered if I can perform a basic setup to get the bike running safely before delving into professional dyno time come spring time?

Do the kits come with necessary instructions - my bike would be standard bar the air filter and full exhaust system.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bidman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:40 - 26 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes most dynojet kits come with instructtions to set up, it will be safe to run but until you dyno it it won't be set up exactly, Thumbs Up

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 20:55 - 26 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a Stage 1 kit sufficient for the spec I'm considering? I can't find a Stage 2 for an RRN Blade.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 02:25 - 27 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

bidman wrote:
but until you dyno it it won't be set up exactly, Thumbs Up

And why do you think it will be when set up on a dyno?

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 10:37 - 27 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing it'll be a little better setup than by 'feel', doesn't matter too much, bike's going to be off the road for a while.

Just ordered a Stage 1 Kit, hopefully arriving the same time as the Yoshi, just got to source a decent filter now - my OE Honda item is spotless; does the K&N give a noticeable advantage?

bidman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:31 - 27 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
bidman wrote:
but until you dyno it it won't be set up exactly,

And why do you think it will be when set up on a dyno?

When you set up the kit using a dyno you can adjust the fuel air mixtures becasue you have the quipment to read it and needle heights correctly to give you a better running set up, It is not possible to get it spot on without some sort of sniffing device which measures how lean/rich the mixture is Thumbs Up, Dan

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 27 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guy I knew a few years ago had the same model blade that you have. He fitted a quill race can, stage1 dynojet kit & a k&n & said it totally transformed the bike, he reckoned it was picking the lifting the front wheel over the slightest of rise in road surface where it hadn't before.
I put a micron race can on my yzf, then had v&m racing fit a stage1 dynojet & k&n filter. I dont think it made a massive improvement, but It would pull a bit harder at low revs, plus it would rev higher than before.
at the time it gave 113bhp on V&Ms dyno, but I think it needs setting up again now. its running very rich.

DynaMight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:03 - 28 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DynoJet suggested setup should be fine, Stage 1 is for a stock engine with stock airbox/std or K&N filter plus a good aftermarket exhaust system. So install kit, get it on a Dyno to see if it's running alright, if it's not the dyno guy should be able to tell you what to adjust.

Theres always: https://www.carbtune.com/colortune.html to make sure the mixture is correct.

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 08:54 - 28 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers everyone; looks like I'm going to be having some fun. Hopefully everything will arrive in time for the weekend. Thumbs Up

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 28 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done Dynojet set-ups on three blades now, including my current 98 and they do vary. My first one was running rich with the 126 jets on there (what Dynojet recommend for a free flowing end can and K&N filter) so I dropped it to 124s and it was perfect. The second one I fitted with the 124s straight away and it was running lean so I went to 126s and it's now much better.

The biggest difference I found was that the weaker carb springs allow the slides to move more quickly and that makes a hell of a difference. The pick-up is so much better.

I bought a gas-tester to do this job, they're not expensive and they will tell you if you're running rich or lean. I'd recommend one.

Cheers

Grim
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.

Ichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:23 - 28 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I bought a gas-tester to do this job, they're not expensive and they will tell you if you're running rich or lean. I'd recommend one.

I'm going through the same now. As a rough attempt I was planning on using a colortune, how do you use the gas analyser to tell you which carb needs altering?

Biggest problem I can see is that most of the tests are going to be static without any load.

How much does dyno testing cost?

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 21:31 - 28 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard from £25 for a bob standard power run, obviously more for more data and setup (I think..... Confused )

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 15:58 - 18 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!

Haven't ridden the Blade for 3 weeks now, but just popped out for some petrol and a 15 mile burn.

Feels a bit faster from what I remember - I thought I was pulling 9k plus at a couple of time, but a quick glance down at the speedo/tacho revealled I was just reving past 7 (and that was just before the power really does start pulling). Looks like the recent work has played a big part in the bike's performance, even though I'd only set out to get some stainless downpipes - Whoops!

Still can't believe how different the bike feels, it just seems to rev a lot quicker, it's sharper, and has more power throughout the range. I guess those new NKG Iridiums help a little as well. Wonder what it's putting out now...? Now gotta get the thing handling as well.

Thanks for your help anyway, certainly worth the effort.

How long 'til Spring again?

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 17:10 - 18 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

bidman wrote:

When you set up the kit using a dyno you can adjust the fuel air mixtures becasue you have the quipment to read it and needle heights correctly to give you a better running set up, It is not possible to get it spot on without some sort of sniffing device which measures how lean/rich the mixture is Thumbs Up, Dan

And its not possible to get a perfect setup on a dyno.

Simple physics.

Air at speed = low pressure.

Now work it out.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 136 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1