Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Speaking the lingo

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 17:52 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Speaking the lingo Reply with quote

How many people here can actually speak a foreign language well, and are able to take advantage of it abroad?

I'm just wondering as when I'm touring abroad I always take a few phrasebooks at me and try to have a crack at the language, yet it usually goes mediocre at best.

I.e. With a basic grasp of French I ask for a room (or pitch) for 3 people for 1 night. If I fluke the pronounciation, I then get a 10 minute verbal assault from the receptionist in super fast French of which I understand 1%. While this is happening, I have to think how I'm going to break it to her I haven't understood a word. Laughing

This thing seems to happen to me all over the place in France, less so in other countries where I can't string a sentence together over 6 syllables.

Is it actually worth trying or should the British just play dumb? There doesn't seem to be a middle ground.

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 18:35 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

just stand there and speak louder in english
thats the true british way
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 19:32 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or speak english, but put on a spanish/french/german accent...Depending on which country your in. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's worth it. At least give it a try, they'll most probably appreciate that.

Unless you are really bad, Germany + restaurant springs to mind Wink . (It's mainly 'cos Germanys like their accuracy, and don't appreciate incompetence) A woman wasn't too happy with me in that "Lidl" place, 'cos I got something wrong. hehe Smile

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 00:03 - 17 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can make do in french or german and could have a stumbled halting conversation with someone if necessary.

To be honest though, i dont strike up conversations with strangers in england though so I'm less likely to abroad.

The only times i can think of that i would need to know the language wd be buying a train ticket to know the word for 'return', and ... er... no thats it.

beer is the same word in most languages if ordering at the bar and no one needs to speak in supermarkets.

Halting stumbling conversations can be quite fun but they need the other person to be either amused or with nothing better to be doing.

Ranger05
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:21 - 22 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

wave2k wrote:
just stand there and speak louder in english
thats the true british way

Classic mate, and if they still dont know what your on about you then get angry and rant on about how everyone ought to speak English Laughing

M1ke
Ped Boi

PostPosted: 18:19 - 23 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to speak the lingo in Scotland nearly got me beat up after refering to Wave as 'laddy' in a perfect scottish accent. Wave didn't mind, it was the old man that over heard me that gave me the look of death, I don't think he liked my ginger wig and tartan hat either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
zxr6_Rulez This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:18 - 26 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I travelled germany and ordered orange juice(L) in Mcdonald in my poor German, she didn't understand me at all. She freezed like"???". So I ordered in english then she finally understood me Smile . After that I lost my confidence in my German. So I used German only for fixed phrase "do you have single room?" "This please".

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:55 - 27 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My level of understanding in french is relatively good, I can usually understand what folk say to me, however, making up a sentence to reply with is usually painful and time consuming. Laughing

I was wondering, from those that have gone abroad, what real difficulties you have come across (tell a story) with the obvious language problems. I.e paying for petrol (you say much or jsut point to the bike Laughing ), in a pub or even at camp sites. How did you go about arranging accomodation as well?Don't mean to go off topic!

It's been 10+ years since I've been around europe with the folks and I plan to do it again, this time on the bike. (not going to suggest a date as I'll most likely dissapoint myself.)

Black Knight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:06 - 27 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its well worth speaking a foriegn language, or at least a few phrases. Makes things so much easier.

Not to mention the fact the ladies love it, its got me a few senorittas in my time Wink
Where does a turn end? 'Where you can do anything with the gas you want to, where you are brave again, where your attention is free from the turn, where you are sure you can do it better next time; that's the end' - Keith Code.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MalcolmT
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:12 - 27 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you aint a foreigner then why speak a foreign language !
I’ve lived in South Africa for years and never needed to speak the local lingo’s. Mind you there are 11 official languages. Also I’ve worked in Angola and Mozambique and the locals just love to practice their Ingrish rather than speaking the ‘Pork and Cheese’
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 27 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, try doing that in France or Spain and see how far you get. The average person is your average town will not speak a word of English.

MalcolmT
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:36 - 28 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds a little like Wales.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 00:44 - 28 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

instigator wrote:
paying for petrol (you say much or jsut point to the bike Laughing ), in a pub or even at camp sites. How did you go about arranging accomodation as well?

Pump 4 is my favourite pump throughout Europe... quatre, quattro, vier Wink

If there's a big queue at pump four I get the phrasebook out and check the number. Reminds me, always take earplugs out before speaking a foreign language, otherwise you just come out with gibberish and people smile at you in pity.

In my experience accomodation tends to be easy as the staff can almost always speak some English if you get stuck.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 123 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1