Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Is it me, or...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

BenBray
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 05 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:51 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Is it me, or... Reply with quote

Do car drivers really enjoy harsh braking? They'll speed up to a junction that they KNOW they're going to stop at, and not consider letting off the accelerator - let alone press that shiny brake pedal. They just pelt up, and then slam the brakes on. I fail to see what this achieves, apart from more brake wear and higher stress levels.

Being a learner on a pretty slow bike, I can understand a certain amount of hostility being thrown my way from a few drivers - but almost everyone is intent on wearing their brakes out! Neutral

Earlier on I rolled up to a set of traffic lights that had been red for a while. I slowed down - thinking "nah, they'll change, I'll just slowly crawl up instead of planning to come to a stop and wait a while". I check my mirrors and this guy is right up my arse. He pips his horn, swerves into the other lane, hammers it to the car ahead and then slams his brakes on. Meanwhile, just as the lights change I'm slipping the clutch a little to get moving again.

I just cant understand why people feel the need to do this. It almost makes *me* feel like I'm the weirdo for not driving like a loon. Is that I'm *too* relaxed and laid back about slowing down to stop at a red light etc, or has anyone else been alarmed at this? Do a lot of you other bikers find yourself taking things slow and steady, while remaining in full control, rather than hairing along and then braking harshly to stop?

Confused
____________________
Current Bike: nc30
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:59 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends what kind of a mood I'm in, and what the surface is doing. In the winter time, jabbing brakes on can make you eat tarmac quite easily, or certainly end up surfing on a fishtailing rear.

Now that I've calmed down a bit (and also because I ride a bike which hardly actually warrants heavy braking) I just tend to pootle up without using the brakes other than to stop. You have to strike a balance though if you're running the risk of upsetting anyone else by crawling along unnecessarily.

Braking harshly approaching obstacles light speed humps and traffic lights has seen me lose badly control before on slippery surfaces. Stepping on the rear and not being sure whether I'd just continue sliding past the stop line was interesting. Fun it was not.
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NC30UK
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 30 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:04 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to do it all the while, nailing it up to a round about at 120mph then bringing it to a hald as hard as it would go, normally resulting in bottomed out front suspension and rear wheel air action towards the end Very Happy

These day's i've grown bored of it, but its a skill that has saved my neck a fair few times knowing just how hard i can brake without binning it.

Last time i had to do it i even managed to lock the front for about 10 meters, kept it upright, then went around Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:10 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

On many counts I expect it's down to poor observation. Riding a bike, you've got to observe if you don't want to end up a red smear, but in a car it's less necessary to your life, as such. Because of this, drivers often just focus on the space immediately around them and don't bother looking ahead much. I've only been driving on my own for 5 days now, but I've noticed it quite a lot.

If I'm behind a few other cars I'll be observing constantly, and I'll see the brake lights on the car 2 cars in front of me go on. As such I'll have my foot off the accelerator and I'll be starting to depress the brake. But I've seen the cars in front of me jamming on the brakes at the last second! Rolling Eyes I put it down to observation, I don't find anything pleasant about stopping a car that quickly, not to mention the risks.

Of course it happens less and less on bikes; if you're going to do that every time you approach a stop, you're going to come off at some point. It's an expensive habit on a bike, I bet.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jamie.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:36 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know what you mean, i feel its perfectly safe, but in my bike test i got 2 minors because i was slowing down too slow at lights, even though i was keeping an even gap between the car infront and me, he said it will piss off drivers behind me, like i care? i wanna be safe, fuck the driver behind me, he let me off with the minors because i said that
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Marcg868
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:47 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

There really is know need to do it! its down right crap observation skills. If your watching whats going on you can react and drop a gear to get some engine breaking or dab your brakes. Thats what i do.

Not being a tosser but the majority of car drivers are twats, only ones that are decent are car driving bikers, or driving instructors!
____________________
JACK, MISS YOU LOADS YOU LEGEND.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MattyB
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 05 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:22 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Earlier on I rolled up to a set of traffic lights that had been red for a while. I slowed down - thinking "nah, they'll change, I'll just slowly crawl up instead of planning to come to a stop and wait a while". I check my mirrors and this guy is right up my arse. He pips his horn, swerves into the other lane, hammers it to the car ahead and then slams his brakes on.


jump off your bike, throw it to the ground, headbutt his driver window and start throwing your arms around expressing body language as if you want to rip his head off and eat it.

he won't do it again Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:59 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it works both ways, a lot of drivers move up the way when they see me flashing as i filter (like to tap the pass light as i filter when its dark ish). But i have alos had people meaningly move to block me, if it is stand still traffic and you get by the tossser and know one is behind you, stop at the window and do a burn out right in his open window Laughing normally pisses them off.
____________________
Current: 2019 Yamaha T7 -> 2015 KTM Superduke R | 2000 Yamaha R1 Past -> 2009 KTM 990 SM -> 2005 kawasaki ZX10r -> 2000 Honda CBR 600 FY -> 2002 Honda XLV 125 Varadero
Bike Pics! -> My Photography Website
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

karen_moomin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:13 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some of it is down to modern cars. People rely too much on their brakes actually working very well that they get lazy.

I learnt to drive in an old Fiat 126 where you had to anticipate situations way in advance (and start braking way in advance too - not the safest of cars in the world!).

Car drivers are generally lazy and don't appreciate that other road users don't have the braking ability that they do. Most are unaware that they do this too. I've been riding behind such idiots many times so try to keep more distance.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:49 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's occurred to me that very few drivers take any pride in their driving skills. Look at this place in comparison - full of people asking for tips on improving their riding, recounting tales of what happens when things go wrong and generally looking to improve their knowledge of all things bike related.

Car drivers, on the other hand, pass their test and that's the last training they'll ever have. So if you're a crap driver who only just scraped a pass on your test, 10 years later you're still going to be a crap driver but with a bigger car, 4x4, white van etc.
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:55 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do the same in the car, theres a double set of lights near me about 50yd apart and the first set change first so i just slowly potter up to the second set at about 20mph because i know at that speed the second set will change just as i'm approaching them but it doesnt stop people being right up my arse, muppets
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:42 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, brake wear. Hard braking is often seen as a good thing and doesn't cause significantly more wear - the pads are biting the disk hard for 10 feet instead of gently for 50 feet. The hard pressure also scrubs off any rust or imperfections from the disk and pad.

As for it being an inconvenience for other road users, keep your proper distance and it shouldn't be a problem.

Accelerating briskly off a set of lights and then stopping sharp at the next set allows the most traffic flow. Dawdling slows it down.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:47 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazza wrote:
It's occurred to me that very few drivers take any pride in their driving skills. Look at this place in comparison - full of people asking for tips on improving their riding, recounting tales of what happens when things go wrong and generally looking to improve their knowledge of all things bike related.

Car drivers, on the other hand, pass their test and that's the last training they'll ever have. So if you're a crap driver who only just scraped a pass on your test, 10 years later you're still going to be a crap driver but with a bigger car, 4x4, white van etc.


The main difference between bike riders and car drivers is that people drive to commute in a safe, warm, dry environment where they can listen to music, do their makeup etc. We choose to ride bikes because we enjoy riding them. If the car driver is as enthusiastic as we are, they will probably be on a driving forum talking about the same things. I'm not disagreeing with you, just saying that we ride more for fun than practicality (excluding fthe advantage of filtering etc...), so we have more of a tendancy to want to ride better. Plus theres the kudos of getting your knee down Razz

Jack
____________________
www.bikepics.com/members/jackcheese <--- NOW FOR SALE! 51 Plate Cagiva Planet 125
Quacker_boy: "Jack, you really are a dick!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:49 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazza wrote:
It's occurred to me that very few drivers take any pride in their driving skills. Look at this place in comparison - full of people asking for tips on improving their riding, recounting tales of what happens when things go wrong and generally looking to improve their knowledge of all things bike related.

Car drivers, on the other hand, pass their test and that's the last training they'll ever have. So if you're a crap driver who only just scraped a pass on your test, 10 years later you're still going to be a crap driver but with a bigger car, 4x4, white van etc.


the consequences are much worse for riders than for car drivers , though my Dr mate thinks no , in that if you are in a car its dead easy for the engine block to crush your legs , but on a bike as long as something doesn't go over you while you slide is safer.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:51 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

karen_moomin wrote:


I learnt to drive in an old Fiat 126 where you had to anticipate situations way in advance (and start braking way in advance too - not the safest of cars in the world!).

Car drivers are generally lazy and don't appreciate that other road users don't have the braking ability that they do. Most are unaware that they do this too. I've been riding behind such idiots many times so try to keep more distance.


I agree, I learnt to drive in a very old Corsa , no power steering , no ABS , no auto box , drum brakes (I don't recall ever seeing discs at the front)

I think car tests should be changed so that people drive on the lowest level tech cars at the very least since many bike schools teach you on their knackerd Er-5s / CB500s GS500s which have none of this fancy gear on them , which forces the students to improve their skills rather than rely on something else , though I learnt to brake properly (ie not too hard) by binning it too hard on the front.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

extreme3d
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:57 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of it is down to you feeling acceleration more in a car and the driver just liking the effects.

Don't believe me? Next time you are in a car accelerate hard (or get the driver to do so for you). You obviously feel the acceleration push you hard into the seat. Now try the same whilst sitting forwards like you do on a bike.... result - it feels a lot less harsh.

Remember that to a lot of car drivers that feel of acceleration is the most they will ever or have ever experienced and to them it feels fast so they try and show off. It's the reason why boy-racers think that their little 1 litre car is the best thing since sliced bread.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mrchips
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:58 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

In bike or car sometimes I will be giving plenty of time and other times I'll just feel the need to immitate Nigel Mansell.
____________________
Northern Irish? www.nibikers.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:03 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

extreme3d wrote:
I think a lot of it is down to you feeling acceleration more in a car and the driver just liking the effects.
.


ha I know that feeling a guy at work (ex work) used to give me rides home in his rover he never accelerated faster than me on my bike , but you could feel the push back and the (undistubed) engine noise which is blocked out on a bike by ear plugs helmet and wind noise.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:25 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a bike it's more annoying to come to a complete stop because you have to put your foot down.
I do find on the bike I tend to slow down earlier if there's a set of lights or roundabout in the hope I'll be able to just keep slowly moving forward.
If everyone did this traffic would likely move more smoothly, although it's possible the network capacity would be less.

If you're trying to get onto a main road it can be annoying if everone seems to be cruising leaving gaps you can't get out into.
You wish they would 'drive badly' and bunch up more!
This is noticeable in fine weather here when max number of holiday makers are about, driving while sightseeing... Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SoND
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:43 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the winter I've been pretty easy on my brakes, too easy to bin it.

I've got my test soon aswell and was wondering do they go easier on you with the emergency braking if it's really cold?
____________________
Go back to bed - You have no rights - "Streetfighters ~ Mainstream motorcycling's crackwhore sister."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ISLAND GIRL
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:20 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been driving for 18 yrs now and after having learnt to ride bikes too I feel car drivers should all be given a lesson or two on bike just so as they can see how bad some of them are.
Its all too easy to jump in a cage and drive off without a care about fellow car drivers or bikes, the amount of times already I have had cagers pull out in front of me or cut me up simply because they are not observing enough what and who are around them is amazing!
When I approach junctions/traffic lights I simply come down the gear box in car or on bike and slowly to a halt, no way would I scream downt he high st then come to a sudden halt as 1. could lose control and 2. would expect a rear end shunt.
Just keep a good distance from the vehicle in front and hopefully the vehicle behind you will do the same, often in the case of a rear end shunt blame will go on the driver who has shunted you for being too close in the first place.
____________________
Live on the Isle of Wight and ride a CBR600F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 271 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 3.86 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 121.58 Kb