Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


First pair of leather trousers, how to care/break em in

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:19 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: First pair of leather trousers, how to care/break em in Reply with quote

Hi,

Been biking for a year now, have had 2pairs of textiles trousers, (summer & winter).

But never head leather trousers before, have already got leather jackets and gloves.

Anything I should do, need to be aware of, how long to break em in.

Both pairs of my gloves, took about 2 weeks of commuting to break em in.

I was thinking of just wearing them around the house for a while (as i'm in the car at the moment)

Cheers.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:23 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give them leather food, wax, Nikwax and then just wear them. You'll get used to them and they'll get broken in as you wear them. They shouldn't be quite as bad as a new pair of boots, they won't be grinding skin from your heels and chafing your calves for instance.
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:31 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess they're going to get sweaty (swetty?) in summer, what do most people do?

Thats what I like about my summer textiles, breathable, well nice.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:43 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

mondeokid wrote:
Guess they're going to get sweaty (swetty?) in summer, what do most people do?

Thats what I like about my summer textiles, breathable, well nice.


Wear some kind of thermal undergarment which will 'wick' away the sweat from your skin, and stop the potentially damp leather chafing. If your leathers are as tight as they should be (I know my jacket isn't as tight across the chest as it should be, but it fits across the waist and shoulders Neutral ), then you certainly won't have enough space in the trousers for much more than a pair of thermals.
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

numark1
Scared of girls



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:55 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My leathers never broke in fully when i had them (dainese tribal) it's annoying becuase you can barely move. Laughing

Wear them around the house. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:00 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the thing, how tight should they be?

I can get them on, but to be honest, I'm on a diet after xmas, they're a size 36" waist.

They are tight, so your saying they should be tight.

Hmm perhaps I should have got a 34 and dieted down to that.

(my weight goes up an down, just been eating fruit and salad for last few weeks).
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

queen of string
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:03 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear mine to drive the car in when theyre new, seems to help.
____________________
"Eat food, not edible, food-like items. Mostly plants."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Simple
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:19 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

queen of string wrote:
I wear mine to drive the car in when theyre new, seems to help.


I've been told try and keep the rain off them, as it can ruin the leather,

'Saddle Soap' is a good food for leather to stop it drying out/cracking. avaialble at equestrian centres, and furniture shops(overpriced here though)


simple
____________________
Insta - FemFeral
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Superlight
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 18 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:45 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do need to be tight, but you need to be able to move.
What you don't want is a loose fit when you first put them on, cos that means saggy bum once they're broken in!
I used to wear mine around the house and watching TV when I first got them.

The quickest way to ruin leather is get it really wet, then dry it over a radiator. It'll go like cardboard! If (when) you do get 'em wet, they have to be dried out slowly, and then treated so they stay flexible. Nikwax is good stuff, it's waterbased so you can put it on wet leather and it stays soft as it dries.

Mine are about ten years old now, I think they've stopped getting more comfortable each time I wear them.
Which probably means it's about time I got some new ones! Very Happy
____________________
You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move but should, use the WD-40.
If it shouldn't move but does, use the Duct Tape.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

BFG
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:33 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post edited many times as I was checking the info.

Old Nikwax and saddle soap, together with many other leather care products can rot and therefore seriously weaken stitching.
Not a problem for a horse saddle, but fairly disastrous when you're sliding along asphalt on your arse. Smile

I use Grangers. I think new water-based Nikwax is OK. Needs checking. But bung that old tin out!
Saddle soap is still a no-no unless it says on the tin that it won't rot stitching!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:47 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best way to break them in quickly is to go out riding your bike on a showery day so they get damp and keep riding it until they are dry again. Give them some leather treatment when you get back and they will fit like a glove.

Leather treatment is probably best applied with your hands (the heat helps it penetrate into the grain), or even better, get a very good friend to apply it while you are wearing them Wink

I use nikwax on my leathers and my combat boots. I have had the leathers for ten years with no apparent ill effects.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 261 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 1.72 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 74.07 Kb