Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2 stroke or 4 stroke

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
 Topic moved: from The Workshop to Offroad & Supermoto by G (8 Jan 2006 - 12:19)
View previous topic : View next topic  

lee125
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:32 - 08 Jan 2006    Post subject: 2 stroke or 4 stroke Reply with quote

hi im thinking about getting a motocross bike but i dont know which type of engine to go for a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke can anyone give me information on them both to help me decide it will be much appreciated
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:20 - 08 Jan 2006    Post subject: Re: 2 stroke or 4 stroke Reply with quote

Just for claification, when you say motorcross, do you mean specifically motocross, or just an off road bike?

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 08 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what size are you thinking about? Under 250cc is definetly 2 stroke in an ideal world. Over 250cc you go 4 stroke usually.

Aikman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 08 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the capacity of the engine i would suppose. Smaller engines would be better going as 2-strokes...Well infact i would reccomend 2strokes regardless, the engines are alot simpler, easier to maintain and often bulletproof in my experience. Though no doubt someone has sniffed the air and is now coming to contradict me Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

goatblower
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:55 - 08 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert but.........

it not just the power output, its the way it arrives. I'm told that on some 2 strokes the power arrives all of a sudden as the revs go up, and can catch you out - perhaps not such an issue in motocross but could be with trials and green laning.

Someone here will have experience and will put you right no doubt

Biker-Kev
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:06 - 08 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally i would go for a 2t any size but probs a 2t<400>4t

space
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:29 - 08 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 stroke, much more fun in my opinion, when you feel the blast of power

mr.tattoo
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:43 - 08 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 stroke for proper motox'ing or 4 stroke for enduro/ greenlaning, general off road pissing about. 4 strokes wheelie better Very Happy

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 08 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, small capacity 2 stroke, large capacity four stroke. There are of course exceptions, such as the CR500 2 stroke, well known for it's 'muscular' (read 'crazy') power delivery. The bike usually picked by people who would like to see Jesus before they die.

Scotty
Scooter Boi

PostPosted: 18:54 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The bike usually picked by people who would like to see Jesus before they die.

Yes but if Jesus was riding off road... He'd be riding a CR500 Wink

angelo
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 02:23 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: 222222222222222 Reply with quote

2 stroke! when that rush comes in and the back wheel tries to tear off by going underneath the front one, you get a smile so big that people can see it though your helmet. When greenlaneing you do tend to spin the back wheel a bit easily especialy if you have an eletric power valve, but what the heck if they don't like being sprayed with mud and cow pats they should over take! 4Ts just don't cut it. And if you use fully synthetic 2T oil they will just about go forever, as you do not need to do the valves every 12 hours riding, if you blow the top end you can do it yourself and in about a morning and the bits will be a 3rd of the price of a 4 stroke 4 valve rebuild which you would need some special tools to do yourself and about a day.

power delivery, rush, cost, lightness, simplicity=dirt bike=2 stroke

easy

A

CrazyPassenge...
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:00 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive read this thread and it seems that a lot of ppl like the 2t's over the 4t's,

Im thinking of buying a supermoto (my first 125 bike) im just wondering what do you guys think about the Yamaha XT125X (4t)?

But also with the other option of the 2t DT125X, but is the DT like every other 2t bike you have to rev the nuts of it to get it going?

If so im sticking with the XT, but i would like to hear what ppl think about both bikes! Thanks

Rgrds, adam! Wink

space
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:54 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a CR500 muhhhaaa Evil or Very Mad

angelo
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 04:01 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: KX500 Reply with quote

dunno what god rides but i would ride a kawasaki KX500 aka the widow maker, now thats a mans bike. Afew years ago i borrowed my mates an made his new rear knobbly look like a slick in about 15 minuits.........mental the thing will hit 120mph on dirt in a single bound, it is just a monster, a legend and takes a lot of skill to ride as it will put you in hospital for the smallist error.

fun though

angelo
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 04:08 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

found a photo
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 92 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1