Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

HTML tags and ALT

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 16:33 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: HTML tags and ALT Reply with quote

Hi

Doing some ASP and generating some pages. On the page there are some small images to provide a pop up box with basic user help (eg, date field and it gives a small "I" with a pop up saying to use dd/mm/yyyy).

Got it all working and have been playing with the validator and got rid of all the minor bugs.

However it is complaining about the required attribute "ALT" not specified. Not that I actually want an alt tag there.

Is there any way to specify a null ALT attribute just to tidy things up?

All the best

Keith

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:39 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always do alt="" if it is entirely unnecessary. However more often than not the image will have some kind of meaning - you say it pops up a date calender? Why not have alt="Extended Date Selection" or something to that effect? Just makes life easier for screen readers etc. Thumbs Up

Metal_Mickey
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:40 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: HTML tags and ALT Reply with quote

Seeing as double quotes are used to delimit the alt string, have you tried... alt = "" ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:43 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just alt=".".

Depends on how likely your site is going to be used by the blind.

If it's a site on how to ride bikes at 150mph I doubt many blind people will be interested.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 16:57 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Don't know why, but I tried ALT="" before posting this and it was popping up with a blank box (which looked really silly with the real pop up box, done to company standards), but just tried it again and it worked.

I must have done a typo somewhere.

The image meaning is to hover your mouse pointer over here to know what to enter into the input field!

Cheers all.

All the best

Keith

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

LukeVFR wrote:
Kickstart wrote:
Don't know why, but I tried ALT="" before posting this and it was popping up with a blank box (which looked really silly with the real pop up box, done to company standards), but just tried it again and it worked.

Maybe you was using a different browser?

Quite likely. Although alt tags are intended to to be an alternative to the image they are displayed tooltip style in IE. Other browsers tend to use them more as intended, so they're only noticeable in the image properties or if the image isn't available.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:17 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Same browser both times. Don't have a choice here unfortunatly.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 113 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1