Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2 wheel drive systems ect

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Would you want a 2 wheel drive system 4 your bike?
Yes (cant pull wheelies)
100%
 100%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 4

retrofly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 11 Feb 2002    Post subject: 2 wheel drive systems ect Reply with quote

Erm just thought about opening a topic on 2 wheel drive systems and front swing arms, any thought or views, write em down.

I heard that the two wheel drive system could increase conner speed dramatically Very Happy , but stop wheelies from bein done Crying or Very sad . Oh yeah and what is the benifit of a front swing arm?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Chills
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:42 - 11 Feb 2002    Post subject: 2 wheel drive systems ect Reply with quote

retrofly wrote:

Erm just thought about opening a topic on 2 wheel drive systems and front swing arms, any thought or views, write em down.

I heard that the two wheel drive system could increase conner speed dramatically Very Happy , but stop wheelies from bein done Crying or Very sad . Oh yeah and what is the benifit of a front swing arm?

I'm no expert, but...

I too have heard that 2 wheel drive will increase corner speed, decrease tyre wear, etc.. Wasn't it fitted to an R1 recently in one o' the mags? I think it even has traction control!

But are you sure it would stop wheelies? Confused

Unless most of the power was aimed at the front 'boot' - if you gave it a handful the front wheel would still lift and then all would be as usual except poss weird gyro forces from front wheel.

I can't imagine more power being aimed at the front considering tyre width, grip, weight distribution under accelation.

Overall I would have thought it's a safer thing to be pulled through the corners rather than pushing the front tyre wide but isn't this kinda thing killing the 'feel' of riding a bike?

Where are the powerslides exiting roundabouts? Rolling burnouts leaving the traffic lights?

If yer want safety... buy a car. Razz

(Hey it's just my opinion! As I said... "I'm no expert".

And as for front swingarms.... I know nothin'!

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

retrofly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 11 Feb 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the thing about the wheelies is that the power is always going to be less and due to as you said traction controld even more power would be delivered to the front wheel, Thats what it said in MCN anyway

Luke
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 17:48 - 11 Feb 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

No on my bike, sonny jim. Mind you it would work well on big tourers and cruisers but nobody buys sportsbikes because they're safe or easy to ride.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:21 - 11 Feb 2002    Post subject: 2 wheel drive systems ect Reply with quote

I haven't seen any articles recently but two wheel drive seems a good idea if it means yuo can accelerate faster (wot, 0-60 in 3 seconds not fast enough?) From what I've seen of the R1 system it would only give the front 20% of the power so there should be plenty left over to wheelie (it'd do odd-gyroscopic style things to the front wheel while in the air though), hopefuilly you'd be able to turn the whole system/the traction control off.

Front swingarms (can't remeber the proper name) should seperate the breaking and suspension (something like that anyway) so that the bike doesn't dive under braking. You can only steer by countersteering so I'm not sure what low speed manuaverability would be like.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:21 - 11 Feb 2002    Post subject: 2 wheel drive systems ect Reply with quote

just remembered: hub center steering

PostPosted: 19:38 - 11 Feb 2002    Post subject: swing arm Reply with quote

front swingers are known to become unstable when cornering at speed also maufacturers are reluctant to put them on race bike due to there being less feedback from the front end to the person riding the bike
You must be logged in to rate posts

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 19:40 - 11 Feb 2002    Post subject: . Reply with quote

i agree
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:15 - 11 Feb 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that the 2wd system would make cornering faster, and make it easier to wind the throttle open harder on the exits of bends.

Hunb centre systems work quite well, but they are pricey and for most people they are so alien that they need an awful lot of practice. As has been said, the braking force is fed into the front arm, so the bike doesnt dive under braking. This was you dont use up 90% of your suspension travel just on the brakes. Most of them do dial in a small amount of the braking effort into the suspension just to make it feel slightly more normal and give the rider some idea of how hard they are braking.

The have been 2 systems sold really. Bimota was the Tesi and Yamaha with the GTS1000. The Tesi system worked very well, but the bike was not cheap (£25000, over a decade ago) and was a pig to work on (chatting to owners, a full service is 35 hours work as you bascially need to drop the engine out to change the cam belts). Bimota made 366 bikes (plus another 50 of a 400cc version for the Japanese market). Other problem is that you could easily change so many bits of the suspension geometry it could be made to act quite horribly with virtually no effort at all. Then you had the fun when play developed in any of the (many) joints in the system.

The GTS1000 system worked well, was a fair bit cheaper (and being based on the old FZR engine, servicing was minimal anyway), but I hear that it was originally going to be a sports bike but they could not get the weight down. Furthermore with a single arm at the front (the Tesi used 2 arms) you only had space for a single disk brake.

I quite fancy a Tesi, and I know of one that comes up for sale occasionally (first time for £5500, second time for £7100), but the servicing would cripple me. A GTS1000 also appeals but they are far from common.

All the best

Keith

Peje
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:19 - 12 Feb 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ne1 gona get 1, doubt it!!!!!!

It'd cost a bloody fortune!!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 75 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1