Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Homework help.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 20:26 - 04 Feb 2006    Post subject: Homework help. Reply with quote

Bit shameful I know but I cant think.

Quote:
Scenario One
Dr. Hamel is walking on the beach in North Carolina. He sees an individual who is bleeding. Dr. Hamel could easily stop the bleeding and save his life. But he did not want to get involved so he continued his walking.

1. Did Dr. Hamel commit a criminal act? Why or why not?
2. Did he commit an act that was morally wrong?
3. Would it make a difference if the bleeding person were Dr. Hamel's 12-year old stepson?

Any help ?

Please ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:31 - 04 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Souns like something I'd do, and I'm a nurse. Fecking blood is so hard to get out!

It is morally wrong not to help, not illegal or criminal. To not get help is just being a c#nt Middle Finger If it where a relative? Who knows Confused

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 20:33 - 04 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now i gotta type a whole page answer with that thanks Laughing Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:34 - 04 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If somemone were to drop down in front of me whilst I was wearing my uniform, or if someone knew I was a nurse, I could be held accountable if I did NOT help according to my Registration body.

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 20:35 - 04 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Thumbs Up

Ill wing some karma your way when I get some more. Mr. Green

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 20:40 - 04 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: Homework help. Reply with quote

1. Did Dr. Hamel commit a criminal act? Why or why not?

Not sure, don't know the legalities of it plus they are probably different laws in the states than here.

2. Did he commit an act that was morally wrong?

Yes, he could have helped him and didn't, what a cunt.

3. Would it make a difference if the bleeding person were Dr. Hamel's 12-year old stepson?

Obviously. This cunt would probably want his stepson alive.

Smile Sorry can't be arsed to expand.

robboadd
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:58 - 04 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't a duty to act, there’s no law to be a good Samaritan. But as he is a doctor you could say there was an omission and he failed to act. Could be said he owed a duty of care and failed to act upon it.

I'd say it was morally wrong and you could possible say how law isn't really based on morality you wanted to go into this then have a look at the Hart v Devlin debate. Its just basically philosophy into whether law should enforce morals or actually does already.

It would make a difference if it was his stepson as he would owe a duty by virtue of relationship, if you wanted to use authority to back that up then use R v Gibbons and Proctor (1918).

edit - Rolling Eyes Just realised your a yank lol. Probably won't be of much use I expect there are a few differences.

Last edited by robboadd on 20:59 - 04 Feb 2006; edited 1 time in total

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:59 - 04 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he did anything criminally or morally wrong, because it was in north carolina.

Chances are the person dying is an american! Wink

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:10 - 04 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Dr Wossname is a medical doctor, he would have sworn the Hippocratic Oath (see below)

Of course, if he's just a PhD (doctor of Philosophy) ... the question differs Smile Cos he might be a PhD doctor in, say, linguistics (which would mean he doesn't have a hippocratic obligation).

Then you have your surgeons who take the Hippocratic Oath when they qualify as a doctor, and then the surgical exams cause them to become a Mr instead of a Dr, but who then go on to do a PhD and become back to being a Doctor ... it gets bloody complicated, LOL

Smile

Hippocratic Oath -- Classical Version

I swear by Apollo Physician and Asclepius and Hygieia and Panaceia and all the gods and goddesses, making them my witnesses, that I will fulfil according to my ability and judgment this oath and this covenant:

To hold him who has taught me this art as equal to my parents and to live my life in partnership with him, and if he is in need of money to give him a share of mine, and to regard his offspring as equal to my brothers in male lineage and to teach them this art - if they desire to learn it - without fee and covenant; to give a share of precepts and oral instruction and all the other learning to my sons and to the sons of him who has instructed me and to pupils who have signed the covenant and have taken an oath according to the medical law, but no one else.

I will apply dietetic measures for the benefit of the sick according to my ability and judgment; I will keep them from harm and injustice.

I will neither give a deadly drug to anybody who asked for it, nor will I make a suggestion to this effect. Similarly I will not give to a woman an abortive remedy. In purity and holiness I will guard my life and my art.

I will not use the knife, not even on sufferers from stone, but will withdraw in favor of such men as are engaged in this work.

Whatever houses I may visit, I will come for the benefit of the sick, remaining free of all intentional injustice, of all mischief and in particular of sexual relations with both female and male persons, be they free or slaves.

What I may see or hear in the course of the treatment or even outside of the treatment in regard to the life of men, which on no account one must spread abroad, I will keep to myself, holding such things shameful to be spoken about.

If I fulfil this oath and do not violate it, may it be granted to me to enjoy life and art, being honored with fame among all men for all time to come; if I transgress it and swear falsely, may the opposite of all this be my lot.

Hippocratic Oath -- Modern Version

I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant:

I will respect the hard-won scientific gains of those physicians in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow.

I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures which are required, avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism.

I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug.

I will not be ashamed to say "I know not," nor will I fail to call in my colleagues when the skills of another are needed for a patient's recovery.

I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God.

I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economic stability. My responsibility includes these related problems, if I am to care adequately for the sick.

I will prevent disease whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure.

I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm.

If I do not violate this oath, may I enjoy life and art, respected while I live and remembered with affection thereafter. May I always act so as to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy of healing those who seek my help.

Written in 1964 by Louis Lasagna, Academic Dean of the School of Medicine at Tufts University, and used in many medical schools today. (NB: Tufts is in the US, so its relevant for use over the pond).

There ya go, that oughta get you started on something to argue about for a page or two Smile

Craggles
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:10 - 04 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could there have been other factors involved in Dr. Hamel's decision? Why was this person bleeding - could Dr. Hamel have put himself in danger by helping this person? - the first rule of first aid is to ensure your safety.

If Dr. Hamel had stopped, he may have failed to save the persons life for one reason or another - in which case he could have been held liable for the death of this person (which is reasonably likley in America!). Perhaps he was concerned about that.

If Dr. Hamel was not a medical Dr, there would not be much more he could do than any other person.

Give you any ideas?

Edit: Hellkat - what about the saying "Do no harm"? I thought that was part of the oath? (or am I beling blind?!)

Craig

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:15 - 04 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craggles wrote:
If Dr. Hamel had stopped, he may have failed to save the persons life for one reason or another - in which case he could have been held liable for the death of this person (which is reasonably likley in America!). Perhaps he was concerned about that.

Yanks are a bit funny about legal issues.

Hopefully wont find this out when get green card for states

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 21:20 - 04 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot all of you saved my ass Thumbs Up Mr. Green

Love you all Wink

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:24 - 04 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craggles wrote:
Edit: Hellkat - what about the saying "Do no harm"? I thought that was part of the oath? (or am I beling blind?!)

Dunno mate, I just copied it off a medical site that I sometimes hang out on Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 86 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1