Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Apprenticeships for 20 year old's +.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 17:29 - 06 Feb 2006    Post subject: Apprenticeships for 20 year old's +. Reply with quote

I have been looking into apprenticeships after working a succession of repetitive mundane jobs and realising I wish to do something else. It took me until 20 to realise this, so I dawdled a bit, not a problem you'd imagine.

Seem's there is a large problem. Connexions can't help as I am over 19, Learndirect have told me most apprenticeships are for those between 16 and 19, just get a job. If so why do the government advertise them as available to 16 to 24 year olds? Following links for websites merely takes me from a government site to a 3rd party one, REMIT etc, which then in turn leads me back to the original government one. Phoning these people results in "packs" and "application forms" being sent out and being told to check out said websites.

If anyone can offer ANY information as to where I can go to speak to a person regarding engineering and design based apprenticeships, for a 20 year old, I would be very grateful.

NC30UK
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:34 - 06 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Organisations need to look like their helping you, in reality they won't do a damn thing for you, just tie you in knots.

Contact companies directly, and spend alot of time preparing and selling yourself. ringing up local colleges and asking the teachers about aprentecips is another good idea as most will require you to go to college a day a week or something so the teachers might know of companies that take alot of people on.

The job center is allright, though opertunities come up rarely

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 17:52 - 06 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, going through the process for BMW's trainee scheme now. Will possibly be adding a letter explaining my situation/reason's for joining later. The lady I spoke to on the phone said their age limit may change (beleive it's 18 or 19) due to concern's over age discrimination.

msgander
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:41 - 06 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact companies directly and do a professional CV, half the time you may get lucky. The days of good old apprenticeships are few and far between.

Dont give up, show persistence and you may get Very Happy

Misc
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 06 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go college, there you can do an acess course & whilst you do the practical side they also help you stuff like cvs, then when you finally get the City & Guilds certificate most companys are likely to take you on, Some let you do 5 days of work & 1 day college etc.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 19:34 - 06 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing an access course would be a waste of mine and their time, although no doubt will be required. Rolling Eyes

I have 11 GCSE's A-C and a C grade in Design Tech. My CV is also quite adequate, I updated it only today re-arranging the layout to improve it.

I really need to be in work for various reasons, that's why an apprenticeship appeals. Getting paid a reasonable wage whilst learning, I'm also not very academically minded, being much better at practical things.

The reason I have not contacted my local college's (Merton would probably be the nearest and most relevant) is that I am after specific courses to do with engineering apprenticeships. BMW offer their own in house one. Most college's offer apprenticeships to become mechanics or full time courses for engineering.

ace2004k
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:03 - 06 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

reuben i been in same situation as you!

im 20, 21 in april and have only really done groundworks for building companies which dont have much career development opportunities as u know. towards the end of last year i decided i liked the construction industry so i tried my luck applying for a trainee QS position with alfred mcalpine and i got an interview and eventually got the job started early january. ok so its a pay drop from working on the tools but u have to take a step backwards to go forwards!

so my advice would be to select a job youd like to progress further into and go direct to companys who r looking for trainee's or juniors in a paticular field

good luck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 06 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat. Turn 20 next month, and am realising I've left it too late Sad It's funny how when you're 16 it seems like you've got the world at your feet and a whole lifetime to waste, but in no time at all you've passed up all your opportunites and are left with no option to work your way up from the bottom...

I am going into the armed forces recruitment center this week to talk to a careers advisor and see if the army can offer anything. Perhaps to train as a fitter. I would rather not join the army, but if it's my only option then I will bite the bullet. I value my freedom and my long hair (I know that may sound daft), but I'd value a fat salary and a profession even more.

Noggin
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:36 - 06 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.britishgasacademy.co.uk

They take apprentices up to the age of 23.

I'm training with them at the moment, 12,500 for the first year, 25k flat when full engineer plus plenty of overtime available (as service engineer)

You get van, tools, phone, loads of bits and pieces.

Full training, NVQ3, city and guilds, unvented hot water qualification, fully sorted really, with opportunities for further training (lpg etc.)

I'm enjoying it, I got a brand new van (12 miles on the clock).

Craig G(Noggin)

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:17 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nath wrote:
I am going into the armed forces recruitment center this week to talk to a careers advisor and see if the army can offer anything. Perhaps to train as a fitter. I would rather not join the army, but if it's my only option then I will bite the bullet. I value my freedom and my long hair (I know that may sound daft), but I'd value a fat salary and a profession even more.

If it gets that bad, at least consider the other two forces too. The Air Force is pretty plush in comparison to the Army from what I saw while in the cadets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

0ni
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:24 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got the grades then why not a commercial traineeship in big business/public practice?

If you've not got the grades then take your pick from Army/Navy/Airforce (mud/bunk/hotel).

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 02:49 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

its not your only option and if you dont want to do it, you'll just waste another four years

thats certainly what ive felt like now with the navy, joined at 17 as i had no real clue what i wanted to do, finally concluded lately that i hate everything about it and it makes me very unhappy, and now looking to come out i'll be 21 in june and with only GCSE's i'll be at the bottom of the same pile i was at age 16

i dont regret my time, as i feel it has made me confident and determined, able to look after myself and now motivated to do what i really want to do, but unless you are willing to give yourself up to a decent length career in the armed forces you will ultimately gain nothing to help you get on in the outside world

they invent their own qualifications to qualify you for work with them and only them, at best you will gain an NVQ level 2 in whatever trade but that is ultimately worthless and they only put you through it because they gain extra money from the government for doing so.

it took me a while to realise but seems obvious now, they would never pay to qualify you to civilian standards so you could leave at the earliest opportunity and earn three times as much outside. they want something to show for their investment and will only reward you properly for serving in excess of 12/13 years by which time you are in the "comfort zone" and it would then seem silly to leave and throw away a full pension and an age 40 retirement for the sake of doing another 10 years

its a very cleverly designed system, and i would say think very carefully before entering into it. especially if joining at an age of 20+ where you could do without wasting any more years

Penny Coin Penny Coin
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:16 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaggis wrote:
If it gets that bad

Well, I'm not 'desperate' as such, but it's about planning ahead. I have done my time in a few different menial jobs, and I know that it's not how I want to spend the rest of my life. I have enjoyed a few years of youthful abandon, but it is best that I end it now on favourable terms and accept that I must force a path through life. This summer will be the coup de grace in the form of a three month motorcycle tour of Europe, after which I will have to knuckle down one way or the other. A fit and healthy young man could do a lot worse than join the forces.

I haven't made any decisions about which service to join yet. I will see what the careers advisor has to say - Maybe it will be the case that 20 is too old to learn a trade even in the forces. But as long as this is not the case, I suspect I would be more suited to the army than the others. Discipline I can live with, and I think it would be more interesting than the other two (and that is the most important aspect).

Wildgoose wrote:
its a very cleverly designed system, and i would say think very carefully before entering into it. especially if joining at an age of 20+ where you could do without wasting any more years

The problem is that I can't see any other path that doesn't involve wasted years. The one thing I've known all my life so far is that I don't want to be a 'slave to the wage', but working at the bottom of the pile doing a job that requires no commitment doesn't work either. In my more cynical moments I lean towards believing that life will be unfulfilling and empty no matter what course you take Neutral

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 13:01 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, I'm not 'desperate' as such, but it's about planning ahead. I have done my time in a few different menial jobs, and I know that it's not how I want to spend the rest of my life. I have enjoyed a few years of youthful abandon, but it is best that I end it now on favourable terms and accept that I must force a path through life.

Precisely what he said. I dont see what I did as such a bad thing tbh, messed about, worked part-time then office jobs. Now I've worked out something I'd actually like to do.

Mine is Engineering design or design itself. To do with the automotive/motorcycle industry prefferably. I would like to be creating things, this is what I excel at. I just need to have the environment and guidance in which to do this. The rest will merely be practice and determination.

However Nath having spoken to BMW, as said above, there is something to do with age discrimination which may cause a shift for the whole apprenticeship system. Whether that is too late for the likes of us only time will tell.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 122 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1