Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Working with idiots

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Working with idiots Reply with quote

Ok the title might be a bit harsh, but given the monotonous hour or so ahead of me I don't think I can be blamed. I've just been emailed a load of content to update a website with. No problem there other than half of it will be out of date and utterly pointless in about 4 days time, and I know for a fact I won't hear from them again for a good month. As a result the odds of them benefiting from the update are pretty much zero. It's a boring job but I could use the cash, so I'll do it.

There must be loads of good examples of jobs BCFers have done which are totally pointless, over the years. Unlike mine some might be interesting, so does anyone fancy sharing whilst I'm on the clock? Angelic

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:47 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think we had a post like this quite recently...

If i remember rightly, Stinkwheel had to Help little piggies on their way to sexual enlightenment?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a side note the most pointless job i can remember me doing;

was spending 4hours worth of labour time, repairing a car for its MOT - Only to have the customer call up and say "Yeah actually, dont worry about it. Ive just bought me a new car off Ebay. Thanks!", 20minutes after i had got it through!

So anyway it turned out allright in the end, because i had been drinking inside the car whilst the MOT had been going on, (Sitting in the drivers seat with a cupa tea whilst the blokes under the ramp checked stuff over), anyway when the car came down off the ramp and i got out, i left the cup inside Smile

It was sitting in the passengers footwell in the end because i was layed over sideways listening to the radio Laughing That coulda been interesting when the customer came to pick up his/her car...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:53 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah but this is different. I'm not talking about nasty/boring jobs, just pointless ones. Things that for whatever reason the boss has wanted you to do but are completely and utterly pointless.

Edit: Like that. Thumbs Up

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:56 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dom wrote:
Things that for whatever reason the boss has wanted you to do but are completely and utterly pointless

Like doing the Tea Run for people who have their own flasks?

And doing the sandwich run for people that bring pack-ups?

Or going to collect the pizza at lunch time, when they have arranged for a delivery?

That kind of stuff? Laughing

zaknafien

PostPosted: 19:04 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to spend 8 hours or more a day sat at a desk reading the paper and drinking tea.

If I did more than 15 minutes work in that time then it was a very busy shift. Mind-numbing just doesn't cover it.

7hrs 45mins doing nothing, pointless enough? Laughing

ginguar
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:37 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Recruitment Consultant. Need I say more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WR450_geezer
Nobody likes me

PostPosted: 19:45 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked in a kitchen and was made to sweep the carpark of friggin dust, yes sweep the carpark.

WR

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 01:06 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for the government ministry of agriculture.

That pointless enough for you?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 01:26 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do housewank....

then the kids come home! pointless?

SteWhit
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:35 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, i'm currently working an 8 hour night shift surfing the net. There is absolutly NOTHING that needs to be done tonight, pointless?

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 02:45 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteWhit wrote:
Yes, i'm currently working an 8 hour night shift surfing the net. There is absolutly NOTHING that needs to be done tonight, pointless?

i want your job, as its what i wd do anyway

distortion
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:07 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work at a psychiatric hospital Laughing

funmonkee
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:16 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaknafien wrote:
I used to spend 8 hours or more a day sat at a desk reading the paper and drinking tea.

If I did more than 15 minutes work in that time then it was a very busy shift. Mind-numbing just doesn't cover it.

7hrs 45mins doing nothing, pointless enough? Laughing

Have one or two folk at work that do just that... tho am not bitter that I'm constantly busy...

zaknafien

PostPosted: 20:29 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

pblack9455 wrote:
Have one or two folk at work that do just that... tho am not bitter that I'm constantly busy...

It get's boring after 2 weeks, a paper only lasts an hour and then you're just sat there.

Doing nothing is more boring than doing work.

Craggles
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:21 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a starcloth for a theatre show, when the show was over, I was asked to take it apart as part of the get-out.

The next week I had a call... they'd hired out the starcloth I made to visiting companies! So I came back in (on Time x2 overtime, as they needed it that week) to make another one for the hire.

I doubt they acually profited from that hire in the end - although it meant I had access to a starcloth to use in a lighting design I did there a few weeks later!

Craig

Deano
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use to get pointless tasks when I was doing recruitment. I was a resourcer at the time and my boss use to get me to ring shed load of random people and ask them if they were looking for work or not and put yes/no on the database. that sounds OK, but its pretty pointless when you do that anyway when you talk to people who actually are qualified/interested in the jobs that you were trying to fill.
It was wasting man power/time in productive work to gain revenue. I got sick of it once and argued my point across and I got a bloody verbal warning because "I argued".

Scorpius
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:15 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaknafien wrote:
pblack9455 wrote:

It get's boring after 2 weeks, a paper only lasts an hour and then you're just sat there.

Doing nothing is more boring than doing work.

Get a psp Thumbs Up

Deano
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny how peeps who think a job where you doss and do nothing is a good job. It isnt, its boring, frustrating, damaging to your career because you dont learn or keep your current skills fresh. what you gonna do when you need more money for a mortgage etc and you tell them you done so and so. you get there and your not as good as the employer expects an experieinced person as you/cv told them you were.

personally I hate wasting my time as it seems like a waste of precious life where I could of been doing something more productive/constructive or doing something where I could reach a higher target or goal , like developing a career.

Put the hard work in now and i can relax later in life as such.

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 19:12 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

About a year or so ago the company i sub contract to was having a office move, a large office move(that involves me moving desks and other stuff around the building) we had been contracted to work the Saturday and Sunday straight through, all 48 hours.

This was done 3 weeks before the company was moving to new premises. Why have a office move around 3 weeks before leaving the building? Shocked

Then for the same company after they had relocated to the new building i had to go in and make the old building safe and secure and help remove old fixtures and fittings, it was then discovered that somebody had stole 2000 carpet tiles FROM OFF THE FLOOR
used carpet tiles????
Any how i know had to replace 2000 carpet tiles to a office building that was left standing empty for 4 months then demolished,
unreal the amount of money company's waste.
As a side note the company is run by women Confused

lol

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 19:13 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to think it was good having nothing to do as well. It is for a couple of days but then you just get so bored that you have to do something.

zaknafien

PostPosted: 19:45 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpius wrote:
Get a psp Thumbs Up

I used a laptop and a dvd player for quite awhile, once again it's boring after awhile.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 01:34 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deano wrote:

personally I hate wasting my time as it seems like a waste of precious life where I could of been doing something more productive/constructive or doing something where I could reach a higher target or goal , like developing a career.

Put the hard work in now and i can relax later in life as such.

I have no idea how i can develop a career for myself so im wasting time. If i was paid for wasting time, that would be an improvement.

Most of the jobs I have done have been mind-numbingly boring without the added entertainment of surfing the net. So a mind-numbingly boring job where I could listen to the radio, read a magazine or browse the net wd be heaven.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 75 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1