Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fiji.....anyone been?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

wantser
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:05 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Fiji.....anyone been? Reply with quote

Going to be there in 10 days.

Just wondered if anyone had any advise, good/bad experience etc.

Somewhere I have always wanted to go, but dont know a lot about.

Should be a good adventure though!

Cheers

Wantser Thumbs Up

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, about six years ago, did my scuba training there.

I loved it. I have never been anywhere where the people are so friendly, no-where comes close. I'm a cynical person by nature, so when random locals say hello to you, or try and start a conversation I assume they're trying to sell me something. After a day or so in Fiji I realised that they were being friendly and just wanted a chat! I even stayed out in the middle of no-where for a while, and was walking back to our lodgings at around dusk on a deserted road. There were a group of 18-20 year old local lads walking the other way, on the other side of the road, and everyone of them waved and said 'hello' as they passed. Could you imagine that over here? I'd have been mugged and thrown in a ditch!

Must mention the weather really. I'm assuming that you'll be landing on the main island at Nandi. That side of the island is incredibly humid and dry. If you then travel to the east side you'll pass over the mountain range in the centre and it'll be like being in a different country. Whereas the west is dry, the east is very lush. Expect it to rain every day. Basically the clouds can't cross the mountain range and drop the rain. It's quite surreal. Oh, and although it's a small island it'll take a age to cross it on the awful roads (and it's propbably best you try and sleep otherwise you'll be a nervous wreck before you journey's completed!).

Something I found very amusing whilst I was there: There is a big prison in Suva, and they take the prisoners out to work in the fields. The big industry in Fiji (tourism aside) is sugar cane. So, driving into Suva we saw these prisoners in a kind of chain-gang being looked after prison officers, carrying small batons round their waist (as you would expect). The prisoners? They were chopping down sugar cane, so they were all carrying machetes! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 12:36 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend is out there now, he said the whole place is breathtaking. I would love to go sometime. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wantser
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:44 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are staying on the south of the island. About an hour and a half from the capital. I have heard that is is very odd weather. Raining for the morning and then quick as it was there, its gone and dried up as though it never rained.

I am looking to do my scuba stuff at somepoint. We are staying in Perth for a week with friends on the way over and she is a qualified instructor, so will get some practice then too.

Wantser Thumbs Up

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:47 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there 3 years ago and just like Silver, loved it!

Are you staying in Nandi for a few days or getting straight off to the outer islands?

When you arrive, chances are you'll face a gauntlet of locals trying to get you to stay at their hostel. Don't be afraid to say 'I've aready booked somewhere' to a few so they leave you alone. We didn't and ended up staying in someones private house with their son sleeping on the floor next to us! Still, they were a lovely family and we met some nice Canadians who'd been 'caught' also!

Money was tight when I went out so we only did a few day trips to some nearby Islands, it's fantastic being taken to a tiny island in the middle of the ocean where there's just you, the rest of the boat and loads of beer!

Nandi is a bit of an armpit compared to the outer Islands so definitely get out and about, where the surf and scuba (or just snorkeling) are pretty impressive!

Watch out for 'Fiji time', nothing is ever done on time! Oh, and also watchout for the sea lice!

I'm not a smoker but tried out the local 'tobacco', very strong (get some Karva down yourself to, odd stuff). Loads of locals smoke it but the penalties are pretty harsh if you get caught (not that I ever saw a policeman, despite a police hut being right next door to the hostel!)

wantser
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:56 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are staying in the Warwick Hotel on the Coral Coast.

Should have plenty of things to do and will be doing a fair few trips.

Looking forward to sitting on some remote island with beer tho....sounds like heaven.

Cant wait now......

Wantser Thumbs Up

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 21:14 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend sent me some pictures yesterday of where he is staying at the moment, looks like your gonna have a wicked time. Thumbs Up

flat spot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiji is great. Personally I'd get off the main island as the smaller ones are much better. As mentioned before the people are so friendly it puts you on edge at 1st but they really are genuine. The Indians perhaps aren't as friendly but they're ok.
Get some cava down you. You'll feel fine right upto the point your body stops working. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 71 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1